General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    World of Demons by Platinum Games is out!

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #522 squarezero, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    They’re borrowing from the Google Play of taking existing games and making them exclusives.

On at least a few games (Star Trek and Fruit
    Ninja come to mind), they’ve also ditched the FTP model.

3. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I know playing that along with others like the room 2+

4. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Thanks metalcasket. I agree, anything that is on AA should be available for outright purchase. I don't have AA subscription. To me, it is like renting games. Paying that fee every month. I rather purchase them.

Son of Anarchy and metalcasket like this.
  5. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    You can pay for the full year

6. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    This is what I do

7. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Can’t recall when I last bought a mobile game. AA + Appstore free is enough.
    Probably too much again with so many appearing today.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I gave up Arcade a while ago. Given the horrid economical crisis that hit Lebanon and hasn't given up a year and 6 months later (with pathetic international and internet limits & a scarcity of US dollars), I'm only subscribed to the bare necessities (in my case, wrestling) and have opted to spend money on shit that remains mine (stuff on Bandcamp, GOG, and while not exactly mine per se, App Store purchases).

Oh well... C'est la vie.

9. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I love Apple Arcade just like I love GamePass on Xbox. I don’t mind not “owning” games because I feel they’re great deals. $5 for AA is a drop in the bucket and I can’t afford to buy every game that comes out separately. So $5 vs $20 I may have spent on similar games every month? Sign me up!

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Exactly. I get where metalcasket is coming from, but considering what I pay for a single Switch game (that quite frankly I often end up not playing much), AA is a no brainer.

And with a family sub, it’s an even better deal. My son in ploughing through AA games.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Don't get me wrong guys. I think AA being $5 is insane and had circumstances been different (read my post above), I would still be subscribed to it. It's just...well, this is hard to explain and I don't know if folks will understand my line of thinking...but given said circumstances, I would rather buy 2, 3, 10 albums a month for, let's say, 8 bucks each, rather than pay the $5 (in Lebanon) a month for a premium Spotify sub and have nothing to show for it if I ever cancel. Y'know?

EDIT: I will say though..had AA been a streaming service where I didn't have to live with gigabytes upon gigabytes of downloading AND updating on a constant basis, I would've probably stuck with it.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Trust me, I get it. We’ve been extremely lucky here, both health wise and financially. When things are tough, you’ve gotta make choices!

Just tried Star Trek: Legends, and I have to say, it makes a huge difference that it’s not longer a free to play game. I can really get into the hero collection aspect of it when it’s not a revenue-generating tool.

metalcasket likes this.
  13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just noticed Clap Hanz Golf, by the developer of the PlayStation exclusive Everybody’s Golf.

14. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Yep, Clap Hanz Golf and about 15 others added to my “to play” list. Looks like I’m set up for the rest of the year.

15. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    So are these classics exactly the same is the original version but with an arcade splash at the beginning and a + in the name?

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Seems like it — though + games that were free to play (like Fruit Ninja) no longer have ads.

Some originals (like Star Trek Legends) seem like souped-up, premium versions of FTP titles (like Star Trek Timelines)

MetaGonzo likes this.
  17. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    And apart from that!

Ok, cheers. I was wondering if they had some sort of bonus content (which would actually have been annoying if it required starting afresh on a new app).

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I think they also share Game Center functionality? Like if you have all achievements in the original version, you have them all in the Apple Arcade version too. At least that seems to be the case with Chameleon Run. Can anyone confirm otherwise?

19. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I can confirm that on Mini Metro; previous scores as well.

That’s good.

20. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    What’s the difference between 2 versions of the same game? Will one get favored over the other as far as maintenance is concerned? What’s the + behind the name of the AA version of the game? Are they’re extra’s? I own a lot of the paid versions and I subscribe to AA? I still buy premium games on the regular I’m wondering if this move will hurt sales for premium games I’m trying to wrap my head around this move because now instead’ve picking up old games I might’ve missed out on I could just wait for them to come to AA