General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Creaks is out and stranded sails

2. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Stranded sails has been out since September but I’m surprised Creaks even came to iOS, let alone Apple Arcade.

3. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Are you sure then why does it say release July 10th for stranded sails?

4. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Must be a glitch!

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Apple Arcade is actually driving me away from mobile gaming and as such, the AppStore. :(

I desperately wanted to play Spaceland, but did not want to pay $8AUD a month for the privilege.
    So instead I purchased the Steam version outright, and now I can play it at my leisure.
    I then saw a handful of games in Steam that looked good and also bought them.
    So now I have gone back to pc gaming.

I wish developers could also release their games separately on iOS as well as include them in Apple Arcade.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, you have to “pay for the privilege” on Steam as well.

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  7. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Ummmm, not every month.... :rolleyes: (which was the whole point).

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No — just up front and all at once. Dude, money is money.

9. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    To play it when I like is important also.
    I tend to play a game for a few days then put it aside, play another, then come back another time.

So one off purchase makes sense, rather than ongoing payment, just to allow access.
    I gave AppleArcade a go but realised a subscribed service for games (as opposed to movie and music streaming subscribed services) just doesn’t suit me.
    My money, as a pensioner, is a bit less flexible than a working person.

But I digress.
    My main point I guess was just wishing that games on AppleArcade were allowed by Apple to also be purchased separately.
    I am not whinging, just wanted to make a simple truthful statement on how I have rediscovered pc gaming, thanks to AppleArcade.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I get what you’re saying and that is, of course, a valid preference. But here’s the thing: I play like you — a bit here a bit there, switching from game to game. Now, when I compare how much money I’ve spent on AA versus Switch, it no contest: adding to my backlog one game at a time on the Switch has cost me way north of a $1000; the same size backlog will cost me $60 by the end of the year on AA. I would have to keep my AA subscription active for 16 years to even come close. Sure, some of the games on my Switch are AAA titles like Bioshock Infinity (a great port, BTW) but much of what I play on the platform is comparable to what we’re getting on Apple Arcade.

I’m just glad that something like AA exists, and that it’s making it possible for more indie devs to bring high quality premium titles to mobile. Unfortunately, it’s a model that really only works with platform-based exclusivity, but that’s an easy price to pay IMO.

ROGER-NL likes this.
  11. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    @squarezero
    All valid comments of coarse, but I still believe that it would be even more financially beneficial for indie devs to have the flexibility to also sell their games separately, outside of AppleArcade.
    I can understand that Apple would not see it as being all that beneficial for Apple to allow that flexibility though. Anything that encourages gamers away from AppleArcade would be frowned upon.

I don’t rubbish AppleArcade. It is a method for indie devs to make money from their premium games, (something which I have seen being depleted over the years) and it works for a lot of gamers.

Just not for me anymore and it had the probably unforeseen effect of actually influencing me to leave mobile gaming for the foreseeable future to go back to pc gaming.

But perhaps the whole situation with me has more to do with covid-19 and self isolation, as I’m now staying at home a lot more and tend to sit in front of my pc, rather than taking my games out and about. :rolleyes:

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’m sure you’re not the only one who now has more time for gaming on pc (or consoles). Me, I’m all about the handhelds, including two Switches (a regular one and a lite), my prized PSP Go (jailbroken and packed with emulators :)), and, yes, my Apple Arcade enabled iPhone. They just fit my lifestyle better.

13. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    What’s next for AA?

14. Colin Henderson

Dec 12, 2018
    Male
    Exciting new update! For those who are using iOS 14 beta, Apple Arcade has revealed four surprising upcoming releases for pre-order! The most surprising one for me is the new Samurai Jack game already coming to Xbox One and PS4. They also have three others, one coming from Night School (Oxenfree)!

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  15. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Upcoming new AA releases...somebody please point out where stories and arcade games are supposed to be synonymous.

AA keeps concentrating on gorgeous production values, and these...stories.

Why spend 6 figures on creating a title that is going to last no more than 6 hours?

The higher ups don’t seem to be consulting with a huge chunk of players. (Based on games that have GC leaderboards, it doesn’t appear that AA has ever had over 2 million subscribers.)

Pac-Man Party AA is a huge insult to people who loved the original.
    They could have created a single player version with leveling up features, which could have increased single player retention.

But no matter what, they can take my $4.99 a month and I’ll have something to play.

16. Colin Henderson

Dec 12, 2018
    Male
    I get your perspective, but it’s also about unlockable content. Games like Oceanhorn 2 are keeping me busy for literally hours, and the developers are still adding things for me to do and find. I guess it’s a matter of viewpoint. I think Apple Arcade has a little for everyone and for me it keeps getting better.

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  17. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Colin, glad that you love Oceanhorn 2. Apple Arcade is a great program, but I just don’t want it to set itself up for failure. Just not impressed with the new titles introduced for this Fall.

One of the games that took me by surprise though is Bleak Sword. Excellent gameplay, much smaller production values, and the replayability value. (Beat on normal, hard, insane, etc.)

18. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Seems like you haven't received the memo. :p Apple Arcade is largely going to change to a more Grindstone-esque assortment of games. Things to keep folks hooked and paying. I'm not looking forward to it though. I'll take 6 hour stories over rubbish F2P mechanics any day.

19. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ

But I have indeed seen the memo. The Grindstone update added 50 levels and a daily challenge. Rather than earning gems or other items during any of the challenges, they are simply used for people to compete, or complete. The daily challenges don’t add anything to the player’s ability to advance in the game.

Extremely satisfied with the 50 levels though.

For a real incentive to login to Grindstone daily, they should reward the player 5 gems a day for completing one of the challenges. Those 5 daily gems will not ruin the game for anyone, in terms of lightning fast completion. It’s cumbersome and frustrating to revisit an early level just to earn gems. (5 gems=1 heart)

Agree w your comment regarding rubbish over F2P.

Candy Crush makes millions, match three, freemium, predetermined outcomes, etc.

A lovely match 3 variant is released premium, for $2.99, and the developer makes nothing.

The Premium casual games scene on the PC and soon on iOS (HOGs, TM, Ranch Rush, Match 3 etc) is long gone.

Let’s home this program succeeds.

20. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Just curious what match 3 you are referring to here. I love an occasional match 3 game but premium ones are hard to find!