General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Emka

Emka New Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Female
    This looks great to me! I would like for games to still be available for individual purchase.

Nice stuff!

2. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Looks like Apple slowed down even further, releasing only 1 new game every 2 weeks, as if releasing 1 every week wasn’t already frowned upon. Lol!

Gambler likes this.
  3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I’m seeing random games from Arcade getting downloaded onto my iPad over the last few days and I’ve no idea why, anyone else seen this happen? They’re all games I’ve played before and deleted, I had three appear the day before yesterday and one appear again today - I thought maybe I’d accidentally clicked on something the first time but this time round I’ve definitely not done it by accident.

anyone got any thoughts on why?

4. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    They just want you to play their shit ha ha ha.

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just kidding, love the AA.

6. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @orangecan this has been discussed on Reddit like days after the Apple Arcade launched. Unfortunately, to no satisfying results. It may have been caused by “offload unused apps” option enabled in the settings. Personally, it never happened to me.

7. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Ah ok thanks very much never knew about that.
    it seemed entirely random in terms of selection and just a very odd thing to happen!

8. Wabe

Wabe Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I can't help but feel hugely disappointed in Apple. It feels like the team that organised the concept and launch so brilliantly have all been re-assigned and it's been left to drift aimlessly.

A key part of Apple's early discussion on Arcade talked about having new types of games. Games that would appeal to people who don't normally play games. Games more targeted at adults. Keep that in mind and look at the last five games added to the system.

Apple have lost all the interest they had from the main stream games press like Edge, Eurogamer and to a lesser degree Game Informer. The big message of 'iPhone and iPad can do much more then mobile games' has become 'Yup, here's a trickle of mobile games - enjoy'.

I remember the grand ambition of the 'Meet the Creators' video where talking of Apple, Bekah Saltsman says 'Finally, finally someone who gets it'. I would say in the last three months or so Apple have shown that no, they don't get it. They don't get it at all.

9. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I don’t know. There’s still a lot of big games from big name developers in the works for Apple Arcade. Could just be that some of these are taking longer than anticipated to develop. Hopefully this means we’ll get burst of games soon.

I know there’s a bunch I’m looking forward to. And rather have them launch when they are fully baked than broken and bug ridden.

10. Wabe

Wabe Member

Jul 5, 2014
    It's true, there are certainly known things in the pipeline and that's great.

It would be really nice if someone from Apple just said what was going on. I think all of us on this forum want Arcade to succeed and will keep thinking about it even when it appears to be failing. Most people though will move on.

It had a chance of being really big, but not like it's being run at the moment.

BTW I reckon given Apple's resources, any person who posts here could have done a better job than Apple have over the last four months.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ahhh, no.

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  12. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Simply do not understand what all the bitching is all about. For $4.99 US dollars per month, you have a humongous selection of quality games that are meant for lovers of arcade games. Many titles are getting updated with add ons or bug fixes. There are no ads, no freemium bs, no nonsense.

Just to imagine that Rovio and the match 3 Saga games rake in millions on freemium purchases...hoping that Apple has 20 million subscribers by 2022.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Totally agree. Yeah i can imagine some months the quality of games may not be 'that' good but what the hell. $4.99 a month ! People moan about freemium, then they get a service like this and they still moan. Never will please some people

"BTW I reckon given Apple's resources, any person who posts here could have done a better job than Apple have over the last four months."

Words fail me

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  14. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    Why is that all the good games have to be delayed? For ex, Beyond Blue, which is supposed to launch in Apple Arcade, was originally supposed to come out Summer 2019. Then they delayed it to Fall 2019, after that they delayed it to February 2020, and now they delayed it yet again to April 2020.

Plenty of games here lack depth. We need games like Beyond Blue, The Pathless, Artful Escape, and Beyond a Steel Sky to come out and elevate Apple Arcade to the next level.

agreen437 and Gambler like this.
  15. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    I’m pretty sure with the titles listed above, more devs will consider bringing games to AA.

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I don’t like certain aspects of Apple’s approach to this service. Launching a lot of titles at once (or in short period of time afterwards) was a mistake. We can agree on that. To lure potential customers to specific big titles and postpone their launch indefinitely? I don’t like that either. But what I hate the most is how they handle existing customers. No announcements whatsoever. No teasers, trailers, podcasts. Maybe I’m pampered by Microsoft and their approach to Xbox Game Pass, but I’d love to see similar approach from Apple as well. If I haven’t purchased one year subscription already, would I cancel? Of course not! But keeping us in the dark and leaving us hoping for something to come eventually? That just doesn’t feel right. They should rethink their strategy. I just hope this service won’t fail because of all this.

17. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    #397 agreen437, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2020
    Where are all the killer games on the service I swear the only one that’s well worth is oceanhorn 2

There’s games like the artful escape and the pathless upcoming

I guess my best advice is not to check the Apple Arcade forum every day wait a few months til these games get some updates?

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #398 macplash, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    @agreen437 is it necessary to formulate every sentence in a separate post? Three sentences in three posts. Why?

But you’re wrong on just one game being well worth the service. It’s easily 25-30, depending on each player’s personal preference and style. Amount and quality is not the point of my criticism though. I couldn’t be more satisfied on that front. And I know which titles are coming. What I don’t know is when. That’s what my previous post is all about - When.

————————
    EDIT: thanks for putting it all into one post. Looks much better. I appreciate it.

19. Gamerchic81

Gamerchic81 New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Ok it’s 4.99 a month and I under that is cheaper games out there right now.But I rather just 60 right now. Only thing is I don’t see apple arcade lasting more than a year. Other company’s have failed trying to do this. My question to all of you. Is this 4.99 a month a waste of money or should I just save my money for the PlayStation 5 and plus maybe get funimation.

20. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    It’s
    I agree, there are plenty of good games on the service, but also plenty of buggy, unfinished ones. I think I mentioned this earlier, but I feel like either AA devs are forbidden from sharing release dates or they just don’t know because Apple decides when the games come out after they submit it.