General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. BigCheese360

BigCheese360 Member

Feb 1, 2020
    Hi everyone :) Joined for some Apple Arcade discussion. I haven’t been much of a gamer in the past decade and only played stuff in short phases when my schedule permitted it (but then I liked to get deep with stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, Monster Hunter on 3DS or good old Icewind Dale on iPad). While I was an early iPad adopter, the pervasive IAP and freemium game models never appealed to me. I want to buy a game and play (through) it without being nagged all of the time, like back in the 90s an early 00s when I played the most in my life.

Anyway, the free month of Apple Arcade and a cheap secondhand Nimbus controller, which was available around the corner, enticed me to check out some games again and it has been surprisingly fun, both on the Apple TV 4K and iPad Pro 2018.

My favorites so far:
    - Sayonara Wild Hearts (as a fan of REZ and Space Giraffe)
    - Pilgrims (together with my partner on the couch ... the way the game has no text and no speech but still manages to convey information is amazing)
    - Butter Royale (I didn’t think this simple game would be so much fun, but then again I never played any of the popular Battle Royale games before)
    - Exit the Gungeon (hard but fair adrenaline rush)

So so experiences :
    - Oceanhorn 2 (seems nice but a little bland and slow after two hours in)
    - No Way Home (I loved Space Miner, but NWH has a bit too much boring flying around so far)

Disappointments:
    - Lenny LeClue (oh geez ... we loved the first half or so ... good writing for a game and nice art style ... but then you run through dark caves for hours and the game ends on a huge cliff hanger that wasn’t advertised ... looking at the game’s history then, I don’t have high hopes that the story will be resolved any time soon)
    - Pinball Wizard (I’m a big real-life pinball fan and was hoping for a quirky Mario Pinball experience, but the game is slow and the levels are boring ... pinball needs to be fast, flashy and over the top)

Other thoughts:
    - Neo Cab (seems like a chill game with good writing, need to play it some more)
    - Overland (tough turn-based strategy, almost puzzle-like, seems cool)
    - Down in Bermuda (oddly addicting so far)

Gambler likes this.
  2. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Have
    Have you tried Stela, Assemble with Care, and The Bradwell Conspiracy?

3. BigCheese360

BigCheese360 Member

Feb 1, 2020
    I tried Stela, which didn’t hook me, but I think I’m generally not a big fan of those endless runners.

The Bradwell Conspiracy seems cool though, after about half an hour. Has a bit of a Half-Life/Portal vibe.

4. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    Apple Arcade is really going downhill with these latest releases

Gambler and Skall like this.
  5. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I disagree. This is one of the better titles to come out in the last month.

yankeeblue000 and smes3817 like this.
  6. Mike Kurrle

Mike Kurrle Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Male
    I'm not saying that this game is bad, but it certainly isn't the type of game our family signed with Apple Arcade for. This is the type of game you find for free on the App Store. Again, not bad, but the past three games Apple has released (Loud House, Secret Oops!, and Charrua Soccer) are all games that look like most freemium games that you can find all over the App Store. Apple pitched Apple Arcade as the place to find premium, high quality games, and even a place to find exclusive titles. I can find free games on the App Store better than Charrua soccer.

With all that said, I believe Apple Arcade is still worth the $5 a month. There are a handful of titles that deliver what Apple promised. But these recent games don't seem to live up to the promise.

Maslan266 and Wabe like this.
  7. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    I 100% agree. There are some fantastic titles, like Stela, Bradwell Conspiracy, Jenny LeClue, Mosaic, INMOST, Sayonara Wild Hearts, etc. But these latest games are junk.

There are still some good upcoming titles though, like The Pathless, Beyond a Steel Sky, etc.

Gambler likes this.
  8. Mike Kurrle

Mike Kurrle Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Male
    Is there any word on when those titles will be released?

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I will fight you on No Way Home (I’ve put
    9-10 hours in that already) and Doomsday Vault. Other games are simply not for me, though they seem high quality and I’m sure that they have their audiences. With the possible exception of the Sonic racer, I wouldn’t call anything in AA junk.

For what it’s worth, there are still a ton of great looking games that I haven’t even tried.

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    No Way Home is fantastic and honestly that soccer game is really good and not something I think would have been “free” on the App Store.

Haven’t tried this one.

11. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    Nope. Just sometime this year.

Tomorrow is Friday, which means a new Apple Arcade game. Let’s hope it’s good.

12. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Rumor has it that it will be Crossy Road Castle.

13. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    If that’s the case, awesome! I was looking forward to that ever since the announcement. I love Crossy Road.

It can also be Beyond Blue, which should be launching this month. I’m dying to play that one.

14. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    My current top ten Apple Arcade favorites in random order: What the GOLF!?, Speed Demons, Sayonara Hearts, Super Impossible Road, Patterned, tint., Frogger, Grindstone, Towaga, and Dodo Peak.

Haven’t tried several others yet and maybe some should be redownloaded. Still can’t figure out the beginning of Lego’s Journey despite the YouTube videos.

Would love to see a single player PAC-Man revamp or Peggle 2. The latter needs to be ported to Switch.

15. Wabe

Wabe Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Well, rumour seems to have it wrong. Nothing’s appeared yet.

It certainly seems to me that after a stella start, Apple have simply lost interest in Arcade.

16. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, don’t know what’s going on. Doubt Apple lost interest. May just be delays in the games devs were working on.

Crossy Road Castle was actually teased as if it was coming last week in a tweet by the dev. So many thought it was coming today instead.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not a chance.

18. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    I don’t think Apple lost interest. I might see why people think think it’s suspicious though. Until late November, Apple put out 4-6 games every Friday and then they stopped that cycle for some reason, putting only 1 new game each week, Which have all been mediocre since than (asides maybe No Way Home) and sometimes none at all.

I feel like they could be a few reasons for this:

Exhibit 1: Not enough developers are interesting in bringing games to AA and still prefer the regular AppStore. Or maybe they are interested but think $5/ a month is too little to make a living for them.

Exhibit 2: The strict rules of AA, like only new games, and not games released before, means that we won’t see ports from consoles or PC, which means less games.

Exhibit 3: Some Developers are interested, but maybe Apple rejected them because they are looking for “groundbreaking games that redefine games” and those certain games didn’t fit that standard, and in my opinion whoever is managing that should be fired immediately.

Anyways, I don’t know. I still love Apple Arcade wholeheartedly, but I think it needs to pick up the pace a little. There are still several anticipated titles that have yet to come, like The Pathless, Beyond Blue, Beyond a Steel Sky, The Artful Escape, Fantasian, HitchHiker, and Crossy Road Castle.

19. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    The best games for me came out on September19th, no game that I liked after that ouch sorry, hoping for some puzzle games in the future, but as for now it’s looking bleak, but I still have confidence in AA, so fingers crossed right ha ha.

Maslan266 likes this.
  20. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    Yeah. I'm looking for more puzzle, or adventure games. I'm dying to play Beyond Blue and The Pathless. Also Beyond a Steel Sky, The Artful Escape, Crossy Road Castle, HitchHiker, Winding Worlds, and Necrobarista.

ROGER-NL likes this.