Universal Gems of War (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Didn't spend anything nor buy anything.
    I think I got 3 keys in total just by playing the game and I opened the chest.
    One time I got the Soul eater (I think it's his name), which is a legenday.

2. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    My team is so bad right now. I keep getting ranked in pvp against players with way better cards than me. I know that wont last terribly long but geez its annoying my skill can only counter bad cards + bad luck for so long.

Just bought my first key though. I need to start finding monsters with some synergy :p

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    As a side note, I never cared about the Pvp.
    I've been attacked several times and I think I lost all battle but one or two, but I didn't notice any difference.
    So I just continued playing normally.

4. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Seems like the best way to get gold though, no?

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    PVP?
    No clue, never attacked anyone.
    And to be honest gold has never been a problem.
    I already have 5K and it's constantly going up.
    But ehi...never spent gold to buy anything....I just use it to continue the storylines and unlock kingdoms.

6. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    So... You don't try to get new cards? I want gold for keys to get better team.

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hmmm...playing normally (never bought any keys, but I got 3 playing and I used them) I unlocked new characters (via chests and via normal playing, like when you complete a storyline).
    Sometimes you unlock characters in quests.
    I had about 10-15.
    I 'deleted' some and got tons of souls in exchange....used the souls to level up my favorite characters (which where nothing special apparently, but worked well for me).
    Since I'm a bit undecided if using the cards I unlocked (like the one you get after completing the first kingdom) I'm literally full of souls and gold....
    I'll continue using my party till I hit, if ever, a wall.
    To be honest after defeating the Wyrm...game is easier.
    I'm now at the bosses of 2 and 3 kingdoms....we will see.

The game is, imho, perfectly balanced if you just play sp normally, unlocking new kingdoms when you feel you are underpowered for the kingdom you are playing in.
    If you rush into PVP, or legendaries research....maybe not, I do not know....but it would make sense that they monetize that (so now I understand how they could make money out of this, but I could be wrong).

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Speaking about the game itself, it continues to be really awesome (I'm almost level 25-30 now, can't remember exactly), with fun quests and fantastic enemies.
    I like how any 'multiple' stages quest make really sense in the world they created both in the text and the enemies you encounter (terrific design here).

I concur with what already said tough....it would be nice to have quests that give you special items, or unlock characters (not necessarily legendaries, just fit in the actual quest).

Also, and I do not know if it's already the case, it would be nice if all those different storylines could wrap up in a grand unique story at the end of the game....right now they feel a bit disconnected.

It would be nice to have also a proper intro...the way you are thrown in the first kingdom with Luther speaking clash a bit with the incredible polish and attention to the tiniest detail in the game.
    I don't understand how you 'meet' the people in the kingdoms....they simply pop out from nowhere (even a single text screen would do).

Great stuff anyway....I'm really loving the game.
    Even the length of single fights, despite having often 8 characters fighting, is absolutely perfect (the BIG failure of PQ2 imho).

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Completed Karakorh, Adana and Broken Spire.
    Just started exploring the Dark Elves forest.

AMAZING.

And the game told me I'm just at 27% !!!!!
    I already played more than 25 hours for sure.

This is fantastic.

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #110 ArtNJ, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Bug Report: when you collect income, it doesn't trigger the save function. If you do something that triggers the save function, you'll be fine, but if you try to buy a city, you might run into a problem.

When I tried to buy the city, it said I didn't have enough gold, mentioned my old gold figure, and bugged out. When I came back in, the gold was gone, and yet the cities didn't have it either . . . just gone.

I subsequently learned that missions don't check the updated gold figure either.

So...if your poor, after you collect gold, go to the hero screen. That saves the new gold figure.

I believe this is a "poor people's bug". I only encountered it because I basically zero'd my gold buying cities. Without the new, just collected gold, I couldn't buy the city or do the mission.

I think I get it. Since there are multiple cities, you don't want the game saving each time you collect income. OK, but then you need any event that costs gold to correctly check the new gold figure.

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Well im having the opposite experience. I am very poor and the money is acting like a timer at this point because I spend 50 or 60 gold to fight, and win 13 or something, then wait for more gold to regen.

if I could win at pvp i could make a bunch, but instead i spend to fight, lose, then 'win' like 10 pity gold.

pvp will possibly be good money maker once i have a team capable of winning

12. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Im sure there are builds that are better at generating money. Anything that changes gems colour, like the goblin shaman, will increase your match 4s and cascades.

Ive got a great money making card, but i still only get a profit when i pvp, or when i draw a game out by leaving one weak enemy that im trying to not kill

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #113 ArtNJ, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Got cheated out of gold AGAIN. This time, different mechanic. I paid to do a battle, and it infinitely loaded and wouldn't let me exit. Exited the app. No battle, no gold.

Level 20 now, at the Wyrm - haven't tried it yet. Some of the levels to get here were hard.

Have 3 rares and an ultra rare. Unfortunately, 2 of my rares use red gems to power extra effects (Vampire and Templar), so there is some conflict there even though my third rare converts blues to reds for extra damage (Banshee). And my ultra rare has good stats but a special situation power -- cure afflictions. That hasn't been useful so far, haven't leveled him yet.

14. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    I get 'infinite loading' when my cell reception is crap. I move the ipad until i get a connection and it loads. I assume losing your gold is to stop people backing out of a match once they have seen the board

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Which cities have good free epics? The initial city gives a really good free epic IMHO, but I decided not to use the mech city epic in my team, the Sparkmaster (or something like that). The stats on Sparkmaster are good, but I think I'd rather stick with my Vampire Lord, which uses the exact same colors, and has a board transformative power.

16. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    Luther is awesome. Hes a key part of my build. Hes so powerful he is getting a nerf, according to the devs forum. The other 2 quest characters ive got are very good, but less broadly useful. I could spell them out here but perhaps i should use spoiler tags

17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    So what colour denotes what rarity?

Anyways. I beat the first (starting) area and am much happier with the strength of my team with him on it :p

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe you can tell by looking at the full list of what each city has in game. Most cities seem to have one legendary and one epic, and it seems the epic is the one that is free. Some cities may have more than one epic.

And yeah, I don't object to Luther getting a small nerf. Right now, trying to level his skill is the first thing I do.

I actually got a free crystal - premium currency - after a huge cascade of matches. Kind of ridiculous to get one premium currency after 5+ hours of play given that it takes a minimum of 15 to buy anything.

19. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    A tooltip told me i would get a gem after 7 matchs in a cascade. I guess over time that adds up to a decent amount of gems, but i havent managed a single one yet. But then again im not running a cascade type build.

Thanks for the tip about the show all button! Youre right, spoiler tags are unneccesary. It looks to me that the penultimate card is the quest card, and is purple. And the boss for that quest is final orange, or legendary i assume, card. I made lots of assumptions in that last statement so im happy to be proved wrong.

20. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    So where/how do i get keys, is it random? I mean aside from buying them.

I got an ultra rare. dont think it fits in with my current lineup really though, but its still nice :)

I am very pleased with this game. So far, this is freemium done right.