Universal Gems of War (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there a TA guild w space? Should we start one?

2. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    It looks like you donate gold to your guild to complete tasks. These tasks give gems, what looks like a key, or blue coins that the guild spends to increase magic masteries for all members. The highest number of possible members in the guilds i can see is 26, but it looks like guilds start at ten members. I assume you donate gold and such to increase that number.

3. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Id be happy to join a guild :)

4. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I would join!

5. vanapak

vanapak Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Hi fellow TA members! I have created a guild call 'Aushield'

I have been hitting PVP really hard and racked up 30+ trophies now, so the guild is sitting 350+ on leaderboard. I am aiming to get past 100 to promote the guild to next rank this wk.

Would love other TA members to join in the fun! if interested pm me your invite ID or post it here :)

6. kei00

kei00 Member

Feb 9, 2010
    #66 kei00, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    I am keen to join, ID "Dragonlord 1" :) thank you!

7. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Any Devs here? I found a boo boo

8. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Game works on my iPhone, but not on my iPad mini retina.

Dunno quite what to make of that.. I'm happy just playing on my phone for now though.

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Weird, works on my iPad and my iPhone.
    Sync is flawless too.
    Maybe reinstall?

This game took me completely by surprise...can't put it down.
    I daresay it's even better than PQ because of the interactions and synergies between the party, that are fundamental over level 20 or so.

I'm loving the enemies too...some enemies combinations are just brilliant (I HATE those griffin like guards that lower your attack rate with a passion).

10. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Id love to join the guild. Im level 25 and my invite code is snotty

I know its not terribly polite to link another forum, but the official website http://gemsofwar.com has a bug forum. Theres news and tweets from the devs there too.

I hope the game works on ipad mini 2! I was just about to upgrade the missus device as an early xmas present so she can play the game, and i was going to get her the mini 2

11. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'll join, invite code ArtNJ. Only level 9, but I just started yesterday and plan to be active.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Boy, you must be a much better player than me :D My party is vastly more powerful in stats and abilities, filled only with epics and legendaries (which I've received only through gameplay, no IAP, by the way, which is nice), but I still struggle. I make progress, but I still struggle. And the wyrm is toasting my (really rather pretty) ass with gusto! :)

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I maybe just be lucky, but in my experience the single characters doesn't make things easier (of course 4 legendaries help).
    MUCH MUCH more important are the whole party and the synergies, plus the bonuses granted by the banner (the little icons in the bottom).
    There is much more strategy than meets the eye in the game, and the more I play, the more is evident (some enemies synergies plus AI are pretty brutal....like the first one makes all gems blu, the second one use the blue combos to power the attacks and charge the third one that actually destroy 3 characters etc...and you must prevent all this).

As for the Wyrm...it took me 3-4 tries.
    I actually defeated it focusing more on preventing red gems avaibility thant building up my powers.
    It worked :)

For example, I've now swapped my Warlock for a legendary character...but it's not working that well despite him being incredibly powerful...because he doesn't fit well in my party..so I have to make more changes. (actually he just steal power from the others so I always end with everyone killed but him, and he alone can't defeat the enemies).
    This is where the game really shines imho.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Man, epic brain fart. Every single game like this, you get to keep the gold you match. Somehow, with this game, it didn't occur to me that this might be true, and I didn't realize it would be helpful to let matches I'm dominating continue a bit longer and farm gold.

This ought to help; I'm out of gold.

15. Sirrian

Sirrian New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Hey Guys,

I'm one of the devs on the game. I was reading this thread to get an idea of what folks were liking/disliking about Gems of War, and I figured I should reply to a few things:

1. Bugs: @Xexist, If you find any bugs, please let us know over at [email protected]. No matter how much QA we do, nothing beats having real players banging away on the game to find the weird stuff!
    2. Economy/Gold/Souls: Our goal is to be fair and not have a hard paywall. We're still tinkering with the economy to get it feeling right, so bear with us as we improve all this during soft launch.
    3. Balance: Same as the economy, we'll be actively updating this game for a long time to come (we hope). We're already keeping a close eye on the troop balance, and taking special note of anything that seems under or over-powered

The current gaming landscape is actually pretty neat for games like Gems of War. We can add content, balance, features (and bug fixes) to the game continuously, which is something we've wanted to do to a game for MANY years. I like to think of this soft launch as just the starting point for something that could become pretty epic!

P.S. It doesn't cheat honest... but we have some improvements to the random number generator in the next update.

Cheers!

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hi Sirrian!!!

Please congratulate with the rest of the crew, game is awesome and finally a legit heir to the original Puzzle Quest imho (I daresay I'm even liking it more so far).

I must confess that I was REALLY skeptical by the model you adopted (I tend to avoid freemium games but the lure of PQ is hard to resist)....but, and it's maybe the very first time, you manage to be REALLY FAIR, and the game seems to me perfectly balanced (besides a big difficulty spike at level 10-11...but maybe it was just me not wanting to explore the realms instead of stubbornly continuing the first storyline).

I know this is probably not what you really wanted to hear, but I really can't understand how you will monetize the game.
    Various 'currencies' aside, the game screams premium everywhere, it's fair and I do not even see how paying could make it any easier (getting more characters, hoping for legendary? I dunno).
    Not that I'm against this, but of course I want the game to be successful because it deserves it and because it will mean that more is coming :)

Terrific char design too, some enemies formations are awesome (those griffin like monsters!!!).

Also, app is really ultra slick, congrats!!!

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Enjoying it so far.

Couple of suggestions:

(1) Lower the initial gold per city if you need too, but jack up the increments. Because completing two or three quests to raise your income by 5 gold feels insufficiently rewarding;

(2) So many of the quests are to unlock a challenge. It feels like a little more variety is needed. Maybe a quest for a better weapon, a token to do a pvp for free or something similar.

(3) I'm only level 11, but what about random drops of common troops? I saw I had 3 of one kind in my inventory, so maybe it happened and I just didn't notice. If so, maybe you can make it seem like a bigger deal some how.

(4) I'm a veteran to this type of game, but I didn't realize you get gold from matching gold. Yeah, dumb of me, but you do show a +gold symbol when you do a big match, so why not show a +gold when you match gold?

Good work so far.

18. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    CMON USA...

You'll are killing me talking about this game...I was an avid PQ player and fan...I can't wait much longer my head might explode

19. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I finally bit the bullet and set up a NZ account. I had no idea how, google'd it and found step by step. Whole process took just over 5 minutes. Easy peasy.

20. Sirrian

Sirrian New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    @ArtNJ: Thanks for the suggestions. Good stuff there!

@Pitta: As for monetizing. Our priority so far has been to concentrate on making the game fun (an ongoing task still); we've got some time to tinker with economy and monetization now though, but we really do want to be as kind as practicable with that.

I don't really feel that monetizing should be about tricking, manipulating, or forcing folks into spending. I think our main goal should be to create a game, world, characters, and community that people really like, and then to create things that players can optionally buy to improve their own experience. Might be a touch ambitious, but you gotta think big, I guess :p