Universal Gems of War (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #681 ArtNJ, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    It means the game is free, but they sell something. Sometimes its just cosmetic stuff that doesn't impact gameplay, but not too often. Sometimes its "energy" and you can't play more than 5 minutes without buying energy or waiting. And sometimes it just speeds up progression, which is the case with Gems of War.

There is evil freemium. Most of us feel that the "can only play for 5 minutes then wait or buy" freemium is evil (among other variants). Generally, the "only speeds up progression" freemium is ok. But obviously, that varies, as some games can be brutally slow without IAP.

It used to be that there were a lot of free games that were light versions of a pay title, or where you could buy the 2nd and 3rd chapters, stuff like that. Those games were not freemium imho. Freemium means you get the whole game for free, but they sell something.

2. K0ncept

K0ncept New Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Revolvix what did you do to fix the loading issue, I am having the same issue :(

3. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Hey guys, what's a good mana to be focusing on, or a few colors as leveling up that seem most useful later on?

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #684 ArtNJ, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    There is a strong case for spreading it out:

(1) lots of high level players don't even use the hero;

(2) you don't really know which legendary troops you'll get, so you can't totally plan your team and don't know for sure which color hero weapon you might want to use;

(3) there are diminishing returns on the chance of double mana ("mana surge") with more mastery points in an area. So you'll always get more mana surges overall if you spread the points out, even if they aren't quite as many in the color you are using the most;

Ignoring team construction, in isolation my favorite weapon might be Summer's Fury, the 30 or 35 mastery red weapon. One of the few weapons that could be game altering in the same way that one of the crazy legendaries can be (or maybe even more so). However, there are not a lot of good red weapons along the way though, and I've only occasionally built myself a team where a red weapon made sense. The purple area damage weapons are pretty good, especially if paired with Brian the Lucky (say your purple weapon is doing 5 damage to all...if Brian boosts your hero's magic, the weapon could jump to 10 damage to all). However, the epic Atlanta uses purple, takes less mana to charge her skill, and could easily support he same strategy. The green 25 mana true damage weapon can one shot a level 15 Carnex, but true damage can sometimes be underwhelming if you facing all beefy enemies.

5. Sandalfo

Sandalfo Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    Your suggestions for a team

Hi,

I'm a member of TA Light trying to form a new team
    I'va got a good number of epic and legendaries and i would like
    your advice.
    This is a list of my legendaries and epic:

Legendary troops
    =================

Carnex (red, purple)
    Orion (yellow, green)
    Gloom Leaf (red, green)
    Venoxia (purple, green)
    The Silent One (yellow, blue)
    Behemoth (blue, brown)
    Moloch (red, yellow)

Epic
    ======

Sparkgrinder (red, yellow)
    Luther (blue, brown)
    Atlanta (purple, yellow)
    Rowanne (green, blue)
    Avina (red, purple)
    Ferit (brown, purple)
    Emperina (red, brown)
    Alastair (blue, purple)
    Raven (red, blue)
    Elwyn (yellow, green)
    Sylvasi (red, green)
    Finley (red, green)
    Tau (yellow, blue)
    Lady Sapphira (brown, yellow)
    Brian the Lucky (green, brown)
    Tyri (purple, green)

please tell me what you suggest

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thats an embarrassment of riches to be sure. I'm level 105. The toughest teams I face have Carnex and Behemoth. Carnex, of course, is weak to true damage, and not having Carnex, I don't know how well the AI targets it with targetable true damage (there isn't that much). So while I would include Carnex, be prepared for occasional sniping of him.

There are a lot of ways to round our Carnex and Behemoth. Some use Acolyte to power Behemoth, and maybe throw Lady Sapphira in there to use the extra brown. A gem exploder would be good, but you didnt mention any. You could buy Ragnagord (you should anyway) or use Herd Master. Venoxia is also really good on the right team, and would probably work OK if you have at least one gem exploder - a team of Carnex, Behemoth, Venoxia and Herdmaster would likely be terrific and virtually unstoppable once rolling. The Silent One is incredibly powerful, but doesn't add much to the synergy - you could consider as a 4th troop. With all of this, you could definitely go heroless, but using the hero will save on soul costs. If you have the brown gem exploder weapon, you could definitely go with Hero with brown, Carnex, Behemoth and Acolyte and have a great team.

7. Sandalfo

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    Thank you for your reply, helps a lot.
    I just bought Ragnagord gem exploder with rewards, i think i will put him on the team depending on color compatibility
    I have 7K souls to spend to level up 3 legendaries and ragnagord, i hope it will be enough.
    so now i consider carnex, behemoth, venoxia and ragnagord in a heroless team, i just have to check color compatibility and if i have enough souls

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once things start exploding, this team should self power, but you should definitely look at whether Herd Master or Ragnagord would have less overlap.

You definitely will not have enough souls to get 3 legendaries to 15 unless they are all starting at 10, and even then I don't think so. I'd do Carnex and Behemoth first, leave the rest of your team at 10 and see how you like it. For that matter, test the whole team at 10 before you go beyond.

9. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    All being said and done, this game is sooo addictive.
    Anyone having doubts, just have a go.
    The Devs have a lot of extra content up their sleeves also.

10. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I play this game very casually. Like only one or two quest our defend battles per day. I've been avoiding joining a guild because of that, but I'm wondering if I should be in a guild even with my low play time. I could even create my own casual guild, if that's the best idea. Or should I not even bother with guild play, since I pay rather minimally?

Anyone care to comment?

11. karolis.mika

karolis.mika Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Looks intriguing!

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, you get at least 25 extra gold a day even if your in a level 1 do nothing guild, so there is that. If your in a gold that does quests, you get keys and gems for a very reasonable price in gold, higher chance of double mana, and more bonus gold a day.

13. Sandalfo

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    So finally my team is :

Hero with purple scythe (5 damage to all)
    Carnex
    Behemoth
    Blade dancer

The blade dancer is yellow / green thus completing perfectly the colors of my lineup.
    It takes 3,3K souls to bring a legendary troop from lvl 1 to 15
    it takes 1K souls to raise a non legendary troop from lvl 1 to 10
    so with my 7,7K souls i raised behemoth and carnex to lvl 15 and blade dancer to lvl 9.
    Thanks ArtNJ for your advice

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks like a good and logical team, should be lots of fun. My advice would be to pick your home colors based on Carnex, and try to get Carnex's skill off first if you can, and whenever you can after that. With Carnex bringing home the mana, your 3 AOEs should fire with some frequency.

I find that it can be good to let your hero eat some damage now and then, if it gets you meaningfully ahead on the mana race to game altering skills (and Carnex's certainly qualifies.)

15. Cryptikx

Cryptikx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    WA, USA
    Feature Request & Advice

Feature request:
    Why can't we sort our troops by their rarity? I find that this would be very useful for me quite often.

Advice:
    I have 3 legendaries now:
    1. Shadow Dragon (Purple/Yellow) - Poison all enemies and deal 3 true damage to one of them.
    2. Goblin King (Green/Brown) - Gain N health and remove all Green Gems to boost the effect.
    3. Gorgotha (Brown/Yellow) - Explode N random gems.

Any suggestions on what a good team would be to make around that? I'm currently using:
    1. 1) Hero (red dmg weapon)
    2. 2) Luther
    3. 3) Goblin King
    4. 4) Shadow Dragon

I give Shadow Dragon first priority to poison all enemies as early as possible. Then I give Luther second priority and attempt to repeat use him as frequently as possible until I can one-shot any enemy. Hero serves mostly as a buffer to give everything else time. Goblin King should have high dmg and high health and hopefully will just last long enough to one-shot any remaining enemies.

It works well enough, but I'm wondering if there might be something stronger I could be doing?

16. shadowkhai

shadowkhai Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    #696 shadowkhai, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    My current team is as follows:

Hero (with brown weapon)
    Wight lvl 15 (red/blue)
    Goblin lvl 15 (green)
    Banshee lvl 14 (purple/yellow)

Lvl fifteen for banshee is pretty pointless so I figured why waste the souls.

I like the synergy of banshee feeding the wight as I try to wait to get a line up of red and blue that'll net me an extra turn before I use her ability. That'll let me fire off the Wight who if I get lucky with the random purple gems could give me an extra turn and repower my Banshee.

The Goblins low mana requirement lets me fire it off pretty frequently at seven damage a pop and the bonus turn after it is almost indispensable.

Honestly I just wish there was a better brown weapon. I hope when the event weapon goes brown it's something stellar.

Willing to listen to suggestions to improve on this team but I do like it as is.

Edit: forgot to mention I don't have any legendaries as of yet. Obviously Crimson bat would slide in nicely in the Wight spot should I ever net one. Lose the bonus purple but man all that life steal.

17. Sandalfo

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    TA Light

Hi,
    i'm trying to get in touch with Rune, the admin of TA Light guild.
    I would like to assist in guild management
    please contact me with a private message if you are interested.
    My nick in the game is Sandalfo as well

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not a ton of synergy on your team is the only real issue, although Goblin King + Luther can make for a deadly tank, some synergy there. (Shouldn't Goblin King be in front of Luther?) Emperina would make a good support unit for Goblin King - very nice synergy. If you were to make Goblin King a focal point, Emperina and Luther would be good support. My main problem with a Goblin King focused team would be its slowness due to almost all of the killing being done with skulls, but it should otherwise be a pretty good team.

Shadow Dragon is a decent legendary, but kind of like Goblin King in that its really nothing special without some synergies, which in the case of Shadow Dragon would be some other true damage units to snipe low true health units. Crimson Bat, Hero with green or yellow true damage weapon, Lady Sapphira, etc. Lady Sapphira is really good anyway.

So yeah, not super high on your current team. Good units individually, but just not feeling much synergy. But really, its all about performance. How is your current team doing? Do you feel like your going to win unless you face one of a very small number of specialized teams? Are wins quick enough for ya?

19. Cryptikx

Cryptikx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    WA, USA
    I am rank 1 pvp and have never lost a single invade/defend as of yet. However, I'm only lvl 38, so I doubt I have faced very challenging opponents yet either, which is why I was questioning the strength of my team against stronger opponents...

I previously had Goblin King in front of Luther, but since they both share brown, it was taking Luther too long to trigger his spell. Switching their order allowed me to end matches faster. Goblin King's damage is typically +12-16 by the time he's up to bat. That, combined with the poison that has been ticking away all match means that he can one shot anyone left. But yes, I am completely dependent upon skull matching. Emperina could be strong, but it's yet another brown and I already have 2. And honestly, I very rarely have Goblin King die anyway.

But, I'm wondering if I should switch my entire plan and build a team around Gorgotha instead?

20. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #700 ArtNJ, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Gorgotha is awesome. And terrible also. Both. Usually very good, but at times your opponent gets set up so sweetly it seems impossible.

Gorgotha is tricky; team synergy is hugely important. On many teams, Gorgotha will be worse than any of the solid epics. Lady Sapphira shares the same colors and is awesome after all. On the right team though, Gorgotha is very good.

I lose with some frequency -- 15-20% maybe? A lot of that is from teams that include level 15 Carnex & Behemoth, or teams designed around Sheggra. The paladin based team is dangerous, but doesnt usually bother me due to my using an aoe heavy team. My team is Gorgotha, Atlanta, Reingold & Rowanne. Only Gorgotha is level 15, the others are 10-12. The 80-85% win % isn't great, but its a fast team.

I had a probably better win rate team prior to the update focusing on shutting down the enemy team with The Silent One, Slyvanas and Allistair to use the purple Sylvanas generates, but it was just too slow for me. I don't have the patience to play a team that only does damage via skulls. The Silent One is very strong, but just not part of a fast-wins strategy.

If I had unlimited souls, I would use a more reliable team on defends with big gold at stake, but I don't; my Silent One remains level 10, as does the rest of his team.