iPad Gemmed! Update - Caged Monsters, Ice, Rocks and Action-y!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MuN, Mar 1, 2009.

1. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Update 1.4 is very close to being submitted! We took some time to enhance the game experience quite a bit.

This update will include the obstacles we have been talking about. Now the monsters can be caged, gems can be captured in blocks of ice, rocks can be inserted in the board (black monster likes to put them on each exit), and then slime can spread across the whole board! (not shown in the screenshot). The use of power-ups becomes much more strategic and important.

All of these obstacles will be generated as you progress through the game, making it more and more challenging along the way.

We also introduced a time penalty, based on the feedback we received from everyone. Further in the game, every minute that goes by will create obstacles on the board. The number of obstacles will get more challenging as more time passes by. This helps create some tension and an action-y feel as it makes the time much more important. It also helps alleviate players from "diamond mining" - playing one level "forever" in order to rack up the points. ;) We have seen some crazy scores on the score board.

In addition to the obstacles, we also expanded the high scores view. Now you can see daily, weekly, and monthly high scores in addition to local and all time high scores. The UI has been altered slightly to accommodate for that - see the screenshot.

We have tackled several bugs that occurred on certain situations. Any empty cells or locked gems should not happen anymore. Let us know if you experience anything like that after the update.

Also, YAY for ipod listeners! Now you can listen to your own music while playing Gemmed!

And of course we have new trophies as well. ;)

I will let you guys know when the update is submitted. We really like this update. It has brought the game to a whole new level - more action and fun! We still have a bunch of cool ideas to add to Gemmed! - it will soon be the most NOT MATCH-3 match-3 game ever! :p

Attached Files:

2. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Haha, looks really nice good job :)

Is there a lite version so I can try it out before I buy?

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Thanks for the update. Gemmed is one of my favorite games, and the monsters add a nice twist to everything. The additional trophies will be a nice addition.

4. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Yep, there's a lite version which gives you a taste of the various levels. It's actually what hooked me into getting the full version.

5. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes! Gemmed! Lite is available in the AppStore. We still have to figure out which obstacles/features we want in the lite version.

6. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #6 Donburns99, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    Aw, how sad.. the monsters are locked in cages. :(

Update
    Any chance of having a "Kiddie mode" without the obstacles? It doesn't have to have a leader board. My niece loves playing this game and saving the monsters, but I feel the obstacles may make the game a little too hard or frustrating for her.

7. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah...sometimes they get caged when they are eating gems on the way to their exits, too..or dancing...it feels good to break the cages :)

8. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nice suggestion - "kiddie mode" sounds great! With this update, our goal was to make the game more challenging as you progress - oh btw we added 25 more levels. However in a future update we plan on creating difficulty levels when we add different game play modes.

9. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    For a person who doesn't care about global high scores and likes more relaxing untimed games, how will the addition of the timer really affect gameplay? Is there an option to turn off the timer effect? I already have this game, and while it's nice to see all these enhancements, I'm not sure I like the idea of making gameplay more "urgent".

10. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I agree totally. I am not a fan of timed games so an option to turn off the timer effect would be welcome to me as well.

I downloaded Gemmed Lite and I can't wait to check it out on the advice of one of the Senior members here. :)

11. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    You'll love it. While it's the match 3 concept, the monsters make the game. The catchy soundtrack helps too.

12. mmadden2

mmadden2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    my wife loves this game

but can't stand timers. please make the timer optional or she'll never play it again.

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I also would be afraid this new timed mode would ruin the game play for me. This is one of my favorite games so please consider an untimed option with the new update. I prefer to enjoy the game and not feel rushed like so many of the others games available. Sounds like nice updates otherwise. Thanks for adding even more to an already terriffic game.

14. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer

OMG! I DO love it! The monsters are so CUTE! Some of them dance to the catchy soundtrack lol. I am totally going to get the full game very soon. I will put it on appsniper watch in case it goes on sale but $2.99 with an upcoming update is a great deal!

15. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Glad you like it! I paid full price for it and play with it all time. The dancing monsters seriously are the best :D

16. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I don't think there's a timed mode. The new version will increase the difficulty a bit every minute so you don't get yourself in a level forever. It'll probably create a better dynamic. That's all. Anyway, let's play the next version then we can make some new requests! :)

17. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Carlos is exactly right! There is no timed mode. The time will count UP as always - there is no counting down. The only difference is, say at the end of first minute a rock will be inserted in the board, or one of the monsters will be caged, or ice blocks will show up. It's still pretty easy to get rid of those obstacles - you simply make matches next to them.

Our real purpose is to enhance the game play and keep the casualness of the game. We still plan on creating a zen ..err easy mode of play in the future :) There's not only been a lot of people requesting more difficult gameplay, but we'd like to try and scale back people who would play a level for half an hour or more in order to get outrageous points in the Leader Board. :)

We always love to hear your feedback after each update as it helps shape the direction of the game.

18. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Then this is good news to hear and I welcome the updates wholeheartedly. Can't wait to try them and think this will enhance the Gemmed gaming experience even more.

19. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    +1 :) I'm in love with Gemmed Lite! lol. I adore it and I have made up my mind to just get the full version without waiting. Such creativity in a game. Super game

20. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Awesome. I'm glad that you keep doing updates to freshen things up a bit. Cages seem like a good addition. I look forward to it.