Universal Gear.Club (by Eden Games Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anyfox, Mar 5, 2016.

1. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Just started it up and so far I like it. Time will tell though. If I get enjoyment and the iap feels worth the cost, I might drop some coin on it. Let's see how it goes with the servers and make sure I'm not paying money into a game that I constantly can't play because of the always online aspect.

Playing on the iPhone 7+ (iOS 10.1) for now. I'll load it up on my iPad Air 2 as well.

2. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Downloaded this a few days ago and started to play it today a bit. Am enjoying it quite a lot, I noticed though my cars are taking damage..does anyone know how I repair them? I didn't see an option in the Performance Shop.

3. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #63 JohnnyClash, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Looks like FB cloud save may be working now.

4. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Drag your car over to the service rack.

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    So I downloaded the game today. I'm actually liking this game.

I need to play it some more but out of all of the racing games I seem to be liking this one the most. I like how they have the opt in ads for the currency. I like the on screen controls too. I also love smashing into opponents and watching them hit a wall. I find that very satisfying lol.

I might spend some money in this game. I've tried all of the Asphalt games and honestly when I play them I feel like all they want is money. Everything is just so over the top expensive.

Billy

6. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    -stares at this game-
    -stares at new gamevice controller for his pro12.9-

Sigh.

7. setomoto

setomoto Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2015
    It's great to see a new racing game that gives RR3 run for its money. The F2P elements make sense for getting a large casual audience and most races are short enough unlike RR3. The timers are quite fair, and tbh, I rarely play graphically intense games on my phone for extended amount of time due to battery life. I can just wait out on the upgrades.
    Graphics are super sharp and glitzy, kinda between Assoluto Racing (on the high end) and RR3 (very dated graphics). I'd say the physics are between those two also, kinda arcade-ish realistic, which sometimes work (car wobbles and bounces based on terrain, great sense of speed) and sometimes don't (turning and drifting aren't as predictable). I really wish the game's built in touchscreen joystick/tap control can be better. As of now, the built-in accelerometer-based control is good, but still not the most ideal way to play this on the go. I am waiting to see if MFi controller will be implemented, as it is still the best way to play racing games on iOS in my opinion. Further, the tap-to-steer control in game does weird things when I use driver-seat pov, where the screen tilts as you turn (like accelerometer turning, but not necessary for tap) and immediately returns to no tilt once you lift the finger. It's kinda jarring especially on those s-curves. I do think the devs will fix this eventually.
    Anyone with a high capacity and high powered phone like 6s and above should try it.

8. scwiffy

scwiffy Member

Jan 5, 2017
    I was loving this game until I realised how expensive B rated cars were. I've hit a paywall of sorts.

But this has made me want to ask other TouchArcaders to recommend any premium racing games, preferable offline too.

9. luckycharmz75

luckycharmz75 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    As far as I've seen, there really isn't a premium racing game, on iOS. Almost every racing game wants to nickel and dime you. It's the nature of the beast. Until people are willing to pay $40-$60 a game, f2p is what we are stuck with.

10. scwiffy

scwiffy Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Have other genres not succeeded with the premium model?

Annoying thing about Gear Club is that even if I pay for a car in B class, I know I'm going to have to do the same for C class etc etc! Its the constant paying that does my head.

Nearest thing I can see to a premium racing game is Riptide, maybe Hyperburner?

11. luckycharmz75

luckycharmz75 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    I guess it depends on your definition of premium. Console quality type games are few and far between on mobile devices. Hopefully, that will change in the future. For now it is what it is.

I played gear when it was in beta. The grind was just too much for me. From everything I've read and seen, gear is still a grindfest. They give you the choice of grinding or paying. Until gamers are willing to pay more upfront for games, F2P is what we are stuck with.

12. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    It's actually not that bad when you get there... you get cash dolled out quite a bit, especially if you do the limited time events (I forget what they're called in game) and collect the daily rewards. I found that when I'd completed a lot of the A content available I had more than enough to start buying B cars and so on. I now have a couple of B cars, an one or two in each A category.

I actually bought a car with cash on a deal just to show support for the developers even though I didn't really need it to progress in the game :)

As for other premium racing games, Real Racing 2 still holds up fairly well, Rush Rally 2 is awesome, Horizon Chase is great for a retro vibe (it's a single IAP game unlock I think), AG Drive is also great for futuristic style racing.

13. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I agree about MFi support though! It really needs it!

(and I wish they'd update the Apple TV version so it's the same as the iOS one)

14. scwiffy

scwiffy Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Yeah the "flash" events are good source of money and are fun as you get to try different cars.

I've been delving into it a bit more and it seems that it's really a hidden paywall. By that I mean that it make you feel like you need the next class car to proceed/progress but actually there are still A class races available to me. So I'm just doing all the As and then hopefully I'll find myself in a position similar to you where I can afford a B class.

I certainly don't mains paying a little but it needs to be worth it (you get very little for your money). Also, as much as I want to support the developer, part of me doesn't want to encourage this IAP system for decent racing games.

I will definitely check out the other games you've listed. Thanks

15. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    What are people using as their Rally Car for the A series?

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Today’s update adds mifi support finally (along with other stuff)!

17. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    iOS 13.2.3, the game doesn´t work.

18. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Yes, the game doesn’t work anymore. We’re waiting for a fix since a long time. I hope the devs read this thread.

rezzo likes this.
  19. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Guys, I hope this can work for everybody. Today I deleted the game and reinstalled it, then when it asks for cloud or local saving instead you have to enter the game as a guest, and the game will be totally playable again. Obviously all the data will be deleted, but at least you will race! So I think it’s a cloud or Game Center issue. Hope this temporary fix could push the devs to put out a patch to play normally.

20. RealisticArcadeSimulator

RealisticArcadeSimulator Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Has anyone managed to complete this game and care to comment on how nasty the prices/wait times are getting later. Just checking it but I feel it's made in way to show a friendlier face in the beginning...
    Would be great to have the "unlimited" version on ios as well. Why are the thinking that people who buy iOS devices are less willing to pay for a game than the ones who pick a switch?