Garry Kitchen's commentary on the iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blakespot, Nov 15, 2010.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    A bit of the interview with legendary game developer Garry Kitchen in this month's Retro Gamer magazine (issue 83) stood out to me. I thought I'd share it:

Garry Kitchen designed and programmed the Atari 2600 version of Coleco's Donkey Kong. At Activision he created Keystone Capers, Pressure Cooker, and Space Jockey for the Atari 2600, as well. Readers may know him best for his Garry Kitchen's Game Maker for the Commodore 64 which won him the title of Video Game Designer of the Year in 1985.

And I think his observation of the iOS family's impact on gaming is spot on.

bp

2. Zallman

Zallman Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Observer
    Alaska
    I've played his games over the years and read a few interviews and commentaries by him. He seems like a decent fella and yeah I agree that he seems to be right on with his observations.

3. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    He's correct.

And I'll add one more aspect that isn't often mentioned. I think the low app store prices may also help discourage piracy. I won't say whether or not in the past I have ever played a pirated game on a handheld. But I will say that I have no interest in pirated games whatsoever on iOS, even though I'm aware of how to jailbreak (but never bothered). Not when the games generally cost a buck or two, and even the most "expensive" games cost around $10. At those prices, there's just no economical need or reasonable justification for piracy. Only the truly most dirt-poor kids would have a problem scraping together a dollar here and there, and even then, you can get plenty of games free and legal by just watching for freebies on sites like appshopper and free-app-a-day.