Universal GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Feb 19, 2015.

1. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I have never heard of that game.
    It's cool that we can still expose younger generation to those old gems.
    If I own KOF 12 why should I buy this one??

2. Orderhere

Orderhere Active Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Never heard of this game. What are the main differences between this and Street Fighter/King of Fighters?

3. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Icade jr. Support?
    And to answer the question above... This game was way ahead of its time and if it's anything like the original MVS version the animations are pretty smooth for its time as well. All in all it's much better than King of fighters 12. It wasn't all about graphics but this has some of the best arcade sprites/animations on the MVS. I'm speaking for the original game, I have not played this port yet. I can't truly tell you why it's better, but I guess for me it's just that "back in the good ole day" feeling fighter.

4. toby7ten

toby7ten Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Its considered SNK's finest hour. There is a reverse parry system - In Streetfighter 3 you tap forwards to parry, in Garou you tap back just as you get hit, confirmed by "just defend" popping up ob the screen.

Also... If you want to know why they renamed Marco to Butt xDDD

"Khushnood Butt – Butt is a Kyokugen-style karate expert, who trained under Ryo Sakazaki. He is named Marco Rodriguez in Japan, but was renamed in the U.S. version possibly to avoid confusion with mixed martial artist Ricco Rodriguez. He leads a somewhat austere life in a wooded area on the outskirts of town, and fights using powerful, deliberate attacks. Just like Ryo, he has several famous moves from Art of Fighting with some of his own derivatives."

5. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Animated backgrounds? Just curious.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Yes.

7. #27 RunningWild, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Loved it then and love it now. DotEmu have done it again!

Will be getting a Steelseries Stratus XL to enjoy this to the fullest.

8. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Um diggin this. Pretty killa!

9. johnchiafos

johnchiafos Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 25, 2013
    Freelance Writer
    San Diego
    man, i am digging this. one of the few neogeo fighters i didn't play as a kid... and this is definitely one of the best. here's hoping for last blade 1 & 2..... #

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Last Blade would be dope.

11. iVoloster

iVoloster Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Insurance
    NY
    I wish they would add online to Samurai Showdown too, then I would be in heaven!

12. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I find the joystick size perfect, actually. But I used to think they were too big in other fighters, so... no problems pulling off specials here. What is DP?

I'm enjoying it more than KoF-i for one reason: 60 FPS. Game is way smoother because of that. Admittedly, KoF-i has better controls because of the way the SP button works, but it's not too bad in Garou. I wish I could hide the SP button though.

13. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    DP = Dragon Punch/Shoryuken. forward, down, down-forward motion. I had no problems with the joystick in other fighters :v

14. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Oh I see. What device are you using? Maybe you are just used to the big joysticks and need to get used to them.

My biggest complaint is that they don't have a CD button. What does the AC button does? Just fake a movement? Is that even usefull against AI? AB button doesn't seem very useful either.

Give me some tips! I'm new to Garou. :)

15. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    #35 VaroFN, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    iPhone 4S.

AC is used for faints, yes. However, their main function isn't messing up with the opponent. Since you can cancel them into stuff very early and they count as special moves, you can use them to make combos that otherwise would be impossible. Butt for example can do cl.C (one hit), faint, cl.C.

AB is used for two kinds of attacks. The first one is an overhead that avoids lows, similar to Third Strike's Universal Overheads. The second one, performing while crouching, depend on the character. AB is also used to cancel some special moves. Grant for example can cancel his DP.

As for tips... I'd say understanding the gameplay and learning your character should be top priority, and for that there's nothing better than playing a lot.

Also, I wonder what version of Garou I've played. I remember very well canceling cl.C into the light charge special many times, but I just searched and he can't... Oh well, then I guess nothing really changed.

16. vanpome

vanpome Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Hi guys,

What I've noticed is the SP button in this game doesn't work at all, so I have to switch entirely to regular buttons, it's still alright though but I prefer SP on touch devices. I wonder if it happens to any of you guys? :)

17. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Are you swiping the SP button or just pressing it? It took me a couple matches to find out you swipe the SP button in specific directions rather than pressing it.

18. Sveakungen

Sveakungen New Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Is the Scanlines option workin

Hi!
    Is the scanlines option working?! Didnt work in Kof....

19. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    You also have to leave the joystick idle before using the SP buttons.

Yup, they are working fine for me.

20. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    What are the purpose of enabling "Scan Lines" ? It's a stupid question I know that, but can someone please explain the difference when enabled and disabled?