iPad Gangstar: West Coast Hustle (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AE_GLOOM, Aug 20, 2009.

1. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    WHO DIDN"T!? Lol

2. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    with one star a cop was already on me, another came from in front and tried to block your path, with one star easy to outrun and badge starts to flash, while it is flashing if another sees you it goes solid and chases again. be interesting when badges get higher.

3. AE_GLOOM

AE_GLOOM Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    LDN, You Kay
    Aaah! It sounds so good but I may hold out a week or two JUST IN CASE there is a reduction. Although I doubt it..

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    ok so 8 pages of nothing about the gameplay so far... does anyone have anything to say about how the game plays?

5. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    What the hell does TOFFT mean?!

6. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Nowhere, CA
    gameloft has been coming thru lately......

i have about 6 minutes left for the download.not too worried about this being good.......i know itll be cool.haha

cmon modern combat!! haha i already cant wait for another game to come out.

7. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    im getting this today or tommorow. :D

but the icon isnt the best...:p

8. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks good but I'm going to wait for a price drop. I want their other game... :S

9. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    #89 byron_hinson, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    Been playing it for 20 mins or so. It's certainly good - but is awkward to control as usual with these sort of games on the iPhone/iPod. Walking around is easy, but turning back and running towards the screen means you can't see what is going on in front of you until the camera finally pans round. Controlling cars is done by tilting the device and using on screen pedals, haven't got the full hang of this yet. There are options to control the car other ways though

Missions are basic, drive here, drive there, collect this, collect that, kill them etc - I've run into some bugs where my car has got stuck in scenery, also you can't seem to knock trees or lights down, you just drive right through them? Finally a mission crippling bug when some guys i was supposed to follow got stuck in the side of a car and couldn't move. Bit weird. Also the radios are good - but there is no in game speech which seems a little strange - though this would have bumped the budget up quite a bit.

Graphically it is good, but below the level of say the PSP versions of Grand Theft Auto - one problem I do have with the graphics is that although very smooth on the 3GS here - the draw distance is low - so when driving fast, cars can sometimes just suddenly come into view without time to dodge them

Good start though for the game and the problems I've come up with so far can easily be fixed in the future

10. kqjrjkrawr

kqjrjkrawr Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Student
    New York City
    Take one for the team. :p

11. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    fek it, bought! lol

12. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Take one for the team, downloading something when nobody else is so you can give feedback :p

13. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    take one for the team. TOFTT. Not TOFFT! :)

14. AE_GLOOM

AE_GLOOM Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    LDN, You Kay
    Yeah that icon SUCKS. They need to change it..

15. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

Take One For The Team :)

16. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Everyone is replying to that guy^^

17. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah, I woke up this morning and TOFTTed all over my sheets, when I saw OP.

18. Well I'll be damned. And I'm stuck at work. Oh well. Gonna have to wait 'til I get home to pick this one up -- but I'm definitely picking it up. $7 for a game like this is a no-brainer.

19. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Any hot girls? How big is the map.. lol

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This is right up there with games like Real Racing for me as far as the whole "Wow, I can't believe this is running on my iPhone" thing is concerned. Controls are as good (or depending on how you look at it as bad) as any virtual joystick controlled game. It really does play like a Grand Theft Auto game and I'm really impressed so far.

I'm a few missions in, and they're really leaning hard on some Mexican gangster stereotypes to advance the plot, and the one thing I've noticed that's kind of weird is there isn't any collision detection between your car and road signs or small trees, you can just drive through them.

Regardless, very impressive game so far, it cool selection of music from the radio stations, and I'm currently doing the delivery car sub-missions since I stole one and wanted to see how they worked!

It is amazing to me that you can get a game like this for $7 on the App Store. That is pure insanity.