Gangstar Vegas (By Gameloft)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    #421 ltcommander.data, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    I wonder if you can run over motorcyclists in a car and send people flying? I do that all the time in GTA, because of course you can't do that in real life? :p

I think as the capabilities of mobile GPUs increases and people's expectations of mobile games increases, the graphical quality within a game is getting more inconsistent. The hardware is fast enough to handle complicated shaders and high polygon models, but not yet fast enough to do it for all characters and environments across the whole screen so you end up with some things that look very nice and other things that don't which distracts from the overall visual feel. For example, the main character character has a decent polygon count and good quality textures whereas pedestrians seem to have much lower polygon counts and texture quality. The environmental draw distance for things like buildings is very far, but the draw distance for cars and pedestrians is closer when driving and non-existent for the clips they've shown when flying. It's good that they keep pushing the visuals for certain important parts of the game, but they need to be conscious to keep improving the quality of the worst visuals in the game to maintain more consistent fidelity.

Edit Addition:
    The screenshots presumably come from the iPad 4. I wonder what they used to capture the video? The iPhone 5 works well for a 16:9 source, but when both are running at native resolution, the iPhone 5 should have a lot more graphical power available per pixel, so that doesn't explain why the video would look worse than the screenshots.

2. Nicoipad

Nicoipad Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Poole are absolutely kidding themselves if they still hate on this game. It looks like gameloft actually took the time to build an amazing map/game for the players.. I mean the graphics look early ps3 style and the physics engine should be great. My only fear is how the game will be on my iPhone 4s and how much space it will take up

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You can't say that until you've actually played around with the cars yourself.

4. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    For starters sir, a games graphics is not the only determining factor in video games, if they still have cheesy voice acting, none/ terrible physics and/ or Boring missions I'm out. Crisis 3 was beautiful graphically, but it lacked in every other aspect of a great video game.

5. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    I'm usually the one making the argument that you are making :p

What I meant is there has been a vast improvement in the movement of characters and the size/amount of people in the game world

6. 4004

4004 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Belarus
    Less disappointing then I anticipated, but still disappointing:
    -what's the point of a bigger map, if it is designed poorly
    -same with vehicles
    -vehicle physics in the dev diary look like Gameloft invented a freemium version of Havok(it is better than previous games, but it's a GTA clone for god's sake, make the vehicles better)
    -too many mini-games/activities half baked into the game just for it.
    I expected a masterpiece like the 1st, J2Me part, but it ain't happening. Well, at least it looks like Gameloft learned about reflections and BLOOM

7. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    What makes you think the map is poorly designed? It looks pretty good from what I've seen

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #428 JBRUU, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    ...except that you don't know how the map is designed
    The vehicles are designed poorly?
    Freemium version of Havok? You can't tell how in-depth the handling and physics of a car are just from a 3-5 second clip.
    You expect a Gangstar game set in Vegas to not have gambling minigames and strippers?
    Gangstar 1 & 2...masterpieces? They were groundbreaking for the time, but masterpieces?

I'm not trying to defend the game, but you're bashing it based on unconfirmed or false pretexts.

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Basically there are still pessimists here.
    Oh well.
    I'll be in the desert fighting me aliens.

10. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    I'm putting my money on a June 20th release. It'll definitely be out in June but I wouldn't expect it for another 2 weeks

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Aww... Oh well.

12. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    I'm callin B.S on 9 sqaure km though. The way they show the maps it's obvious that rio is shrunken down too far. In actuality I'm guessing its about 4 times the size of rio, still big but not massive

13. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    That'd be nice tough. Not too big in my book then.

14. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Yeah if it really is 9 times as big as rio, that's too big for a mobile game

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    It'll like how just cause two was for console.
    Altough I do stink at driving in games so that was a factor.

16. Bassman97

Bassman97 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    none
    You dont need to know
    I did like how jc2 map was huge and ulit was just total freedom.

17. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    I didn't like how they basically copy and pasted towns all over the map. Most of the desert was the same 2 towns repeated

18. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    And all the travel. Was annoying.

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    You, sir, never knew the fun of turning any place in the game into a playground. Your grappling hook and parachute was all you ever needed to kick a lot of ass.

Explosive charges, grenades, and RPGs also helped, but I got a huge kick out of grappling cars chasing me off the road, or making a getaway from the military on the back of a sedan.

EDIT: I almost forgot about the car-based cover! That was awesome! I loved being able to just hang on the back of a car!

20. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I did that.
    But I didn't have enough time with it.
    Bro traded it for SR3.