Gaming device of choice

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dankrio, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I was always an avid ipad gamer, playing on iphone only very casual games like endless runners (which work better on small screen). However, since I got myself an iphone 6 I've been digging playing on that, barely touching my ipad for gaming.

Anyone else feel the same? Which you prefer? Iphones are so much more comfortable playing on bed at night. However, some games are cramped or not as visually astonishing. However, some are prettier on feel right as iphone games, like Goblin Sword.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I started iOS gaming with an iPod Touch 2/3, upgraded to an iPad 2 when it came out, and never looked back.
    Same experience with the upgrade from 2 to Air and Retina display, no way I want to go back.
    I even want more screen estate, so an iPad Pro is next on the list ;)

Could never go back to playing on a smaller screen, that just feels so cramped and restricted; especially for the RPGs and Strategy/Tactics games I prefer to play.

And I use my Air in bed a lot, works perfectly fine. I do see that the Pro might cause some problems there because it's twice the size of an Air; and the larger display gives off more light, so I might keep my girlfriend awake :)

3. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Gotta agree with Nullzone. I also started with a Touch 2Gen (still have the latest but a pda mostly) but once I switched to an iPad I just didn't get the same experience when going back to a smaller screen (on any gaming device). I still play card or word games mainly when I'm out n' about on the Touch and it still holds it value but any serious gaming is reserved for the iPad. Perhaps since its a newer device you like using the smaller screen? Overall it comes down to ones own personal preference and to respect their choice.

4. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Might be due to the fact that is a new device, Coldar.

However, some games in fact work better on the small screen, in my opinion, like endless runners, Goblin Sword and games that relie on gyroscope.

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I agree that some games do work better or can only be played on a smaller screen size. Some platform games come to mind such as Goblin Sword that use arrows for controls. For those I usually will play on the Nexus 7 but if not then I revert to the Touch. ;)

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    iPhone 6+ is "mostly" the best considering portability and real estate for games, is my opinion. With a jailbreak, I even run some ipad only games on my iPhone. The ultimate portable gaming device really.

I wouldn't go back down to a 6 only. not even for the one hander comfort. 6+ just has too much going for it with the real estate.
    My opinion

7. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Hm lets see
    Gameboy,Ps1, Dreamcast,N64,Ps2,Xbox360,PC, PSP, Nintendo DS, Wii, iPod touch 2nd gen, IPad

Yeah have to admit these days it's usually the tablet. But yeah iPod touch was pretty nice compact size.

8. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I think I would like the 6+ even more, now that I have an iphone 6 and Apple's case.

I was worried about portability.

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I found the controls for Goblin Sword better on the iPhone, but for pretty much everything else, my iPad is my device of choice.

10. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I think this control scheme works best for iphones. Another example is Zombieville.

Lifeline is also better on iphone.

11. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Hmmm... I have an iPhone 6 and a Mini 3. The phone is so much more convenient, and I prefer it for lots of things. Loads of platformers are actually better on the smaller screen, and anything played in portrait mode too. I feel many JRPGs are designed for the phone, and love playing them that way.

The iPad mainly gets used for mood games, like Whiteday, where the bigger screen sucks you in, or tablet-only stuff like Papers Please.

12. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Would you care to elaborate on some games that seem designed for iphone?

13. AnRiv

AnRiv Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2016
    I still prefer playing games like (RPG game) Dragon Encounter on Ipad because like youve said, the screen is much larger than iphone. :)

14. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Oh, all the Dragon Quest games definitely seem to be ported with one-handed phone commuters in mind. Portrait mode, virtual directional pad for one-thumb play. Something like DQ8 makes more sense on a phone screen, while the portrait view seems rather unnecessarily constrictive on an iPad. I actually played that on a 4S, and now it would seem weird on a bigger screen.

15. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    iPhone as I always have it on me, it's newer, my iPad is never charged and a lot of games involving both hands work better on the smaller device.

While some games may look/feel better on an iPad, unless it's a case where it's a detail-heavy game or one with a lot of text where my fingers could cover important parts of the screen, my 6S will suffice. The portability is a godsend for iOS.

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I have an iPad air and a iPhone 6s plus and I only game on my phone now! I used to love my iPad but its been replaced it seems lol.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I got the 6+ and it became my go-to device. However, I broke my Ipad 3, got a new iPad Air 2, and the speed is just too incredible. Plus, I love HOGs and shooters and the larger screen gives me a bit better visibility. But, the 6+ is still an excellent device (as well as a phone LOL).