iPad games you wished you'd waited on (or not)?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sjleworthy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Hi guys, just a quick couple of Q's......

1) what games did you pay full price for, but wished you'd known to wait for either for a price drop or lite version release, or not buy at all?

2) what games did you pay full price for, and were happy even though they had a price drop or lite version release later on?

3) what games did you wait for the lite versions, and were grateful you did?

Mine are -

1) fastlane, icopter, idracula, skythunder, zoneworrior, tikitowers - i still like these games, but would prefer the Lite versions as i only play a level or so at most on them. or even a $1 price would have made me happy.

2) cromag, x-planes, toybots, zombieville - most excellent. happy paying the full price.

3) sway, SW force unleashed, rolando, katamari, - enjoyable, and gives me a good idea of what i'll upgrade full price to. The power of the 'Lite'

2. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    1. None yet. I'm relatively new to the idevice.

2. Theseus. It was worth it at the full prize, so I wasn't too sorry I missed out on the sale.

3. Zentomino. I'm glad there was a lite, I don't think I would've gotten it if I didn't try the game for myself. Subway Shuffle is probably the other one I will get, now that I'm done with the lite version.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I have one off the yop of my head: MGST I should of waited for lower pice and all 20 levels.

4. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    1. Wish I waited for price drop on rolando
    2. I never really got burned except on rolando
    3. I love katamari, x-plane, bike or die,

5. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    1) Lux DLX, Westward, SimCity, Flick Fishing, Asphalt 4

2) Crazy Skateboard, Brothers in Arms, Hero of Sparta

3) i hate lite versions, they make me puke.

6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    why is that?

7. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    1) Warfare inc. My first RTS and I can't get into it :( I'll give it another go eventually.

2) Besiegement, Heavy mech, 7cities.

3). None really.

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    1. 7 cities, SimCity, Zen Bound.

2. Trism, FieldRunners, Touchgrind.

3. Galcon and Zentomino, lite versions got me to buy the full version.

9. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    1. Brothers in arms only because I only played it twice and wasn't into it. I have no plans to really play it again.

2. The Quest, Supermarket Mania, Let's Golf, G.I. Joyride, Chocolatier, Agency Wars, Dr. Arugula, Oregon Trail, Virtual Villagers 2: The Lost Children, Touchsports Tennis, 3D BrickBreaker, Ace Tennis, Monopoly, Westward and Chocolate Shop Frenzy

3. Rolando which was horribly boring and a disappointment. Deleted it immediately and Diamond Islands because it made me realize I could never get the full version.

10. Hmmm.....I try to make the best of any situation but some things deserve deletion. Here are a few of mine in no particular order.

- Billy Frontier ( I am not a fan of games where the character moves for me )
    - Cromag Rally ( fell short on just about everything to me )
    - Attack From The Dead ( I felt claustrophobic playing that game since the main character is stuck in an imaginary column )
    - Rolando ( I just don't like it haha )

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    1) Wish I had known to wait for a price drop: Soul Trapper, Toy Bot Diaries 1, Orion's Belt, Sky Thunder, and Payback.

Not buy at all? looking back...I wish that I hadn't bought Ass Fault. Fun game before that last update, which rendered it virtually unplayable due to fudging up the controls. Friggin' crap did Gameloft ruin that game :mad:

2) Soul Trapper. I bought that, get this, early in the AM one day because I was going on a short trip, and when I checked in the early afternoon the price had dropped from the $7.99 that I paid for it all the way down to, iirc, $1.99. :eek:

Still...I'm glad I bought it, and I would've gladly paid $10 for that game. It's an audio adventure game, in case you don't know about it, and it's a damned good one. One of the best experiences on this platform IMHO, and something that shows just how truly different this platform is from others.

Oh, and Orion's Belt. I don't regret the purchase at the original $3.99 (I think it went down to $0.99 recently for a limited time). Why? Because my early purchase allowed me to discuss some issues with the game with the developer, and that developer responded very quickly by changing up the control system. If you don't know, the game is a space shooter, like Blue Attack, but slower paced. It's actually pretty good, and IMHO well worth the price I paid, let alone a buck.

3) The games I waited for a lite version were stuff like Heavy Mach and such. I held out, and was glad I did not because I wouldn't have bought the games (I did), but because I would've bought them too soon and lost out on some other gems I picked up. I'm glad I waited for Katamari Lite and Puzzle Quest Lite though, as they included some updates to issues that people who paid full price had complained about. Had I picked up those games earlier, I would've been part of the complaint chorus.

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    1. Hero Of Sparta, Wave Blazer and Banjo The Woodpile Cat. HoS wasn't necessarily a bad game, and I'm sure I'll give it a try again some day, but at the time it didn't hold my attention. As a huge fan of the similarly themed Hydro Thunder, Wave Blazer was just a big disappointment. Banjo just sucked.

2. I have bought very few games for full price, and most of the ones I've bought for full price have never gone on sale, so I don't have a good answer for this one.

3. I very rarely download lite versions, for no other reason than the fact that I mostly buy cheap games. However, my one saving grace was trying the lite version of Rolando. I'm glad I didn't buy that one based on all the hype.

13. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    because they are stunted excuses for games.

14. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #14 Isilel, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
    Interesting questions. Well:

1) Didn't happen to me yet as I have only bought 3 games and am really happy with them.

2) I have bought Puzzle Quest, The Quest and Sway and wouldn't care if they had price drops as I have had lots of quality entertainment from each and want sequels to them to be ported or made from scratch.

3) Lites sold Puzzle Quest and Sway to me. In fact, the only games I might perhaps buy without trying and loving a Lite first are RPGs whose in-depth descriptions really appeal to me.