Games you want a price drop!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mattll, May 25, 2009.

1. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    nah. Since sonic is a well developed ip they can sell it like hot cakes at 6 bucks. Five days and its #7 in games in the app store

2. Xgamer1224

Xgamer1224 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    well i believe that sega will lower the price once it slips from the charts. just like super monkey ball. never the less, i really wanna pick it up, but zenonia is holding me over.

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Easy answer! Literally, all paid apps out there, except the ones that I already own... :rolleyes:

4. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

Need for Speed Undercover really needs one. They'd have even more buyers if it wasn't $9.99.

5. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Yeah I'm still waiting for NFS to go on sale before I buy. It may happen soon considering the game is slowly starting to slip on the Top Paid list.

6. TheKrazyRussian

TheKrazyRussian Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    UPS
    CA
    Whoa, that's a false statement there.
    Xbox 360 or the iPhone has nothing to do with the updates, it's up to the developer of the game/app.
    And my iPod Touch saved me and my family a lot of money since i have not bought a single game for either my DS or the Xbox 360 ever since i got the iPod Touch.

7. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    in the UK lots of the top 50 apps haven't had price drops, and apps like NFS obviously don't need one. If a dev gives a game enough quality and content it will sell, regardless of price

8. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    BullsEye!

9. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    the ipod market is bigger then all game markets if i have the right infos
    so the devs sell more games ( if their game is really good) BUT i am actually in school so i dont know how hard it is to make a game but i can imagine it so if u sell a game for 1 buck you have to sell many to make a living from and if u sell it for 10 u have to sell many /10
    and the working time is the same as u work for a xbox/pc/whatevere game ( depends on game) and they have to sell 10 or more too get the same income ( pc game = 50€ so 75$ ??)

10. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    What? :confused:

11. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    For developers making apps for the iPhone they have to set it at a good price that they can profit from and make people happy. If anything it's better for a developer to start really high and then drop the price. Rolando started at $10 and sold a ton of copies. After a long time it was reduced to $5 which is what I paid for. Developers I hope have some kind of business background because it really comes in handy here. Unfortunately developers don't have the razor blade effect like Apple, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Apple sells its iPhone and makes a small amount of the phone. But probably where they make most of their money is from the 30% they take from apps sold in the app store. The numbers are absurd if you thought about every app that sells really well. So developers need to learn how to sell and market their product. They need to know how much time went into building the app, where all the money from the app will go (programmers, designers, and others ect). Developers need to first make the money back on the costs of putting it together, pay the people invovled, and then start making money off of the app.

So with all that mind i'll say this also. Developers are trying to sell the apps to earn a real profit on it but they can't. Consumers are bullying them into dropping the price because the customer will only pay this price for it. It is sad though because the consumers control the market. All of us can choose to say a game is good and buy it. We can support the developer and make them rich. We can also say that's way too much and we wont support you till you drop the price. Many developers are individuals who think they can rely solely on the get rich quick scheme. They've seen people who have been successful on the app store and want to follow. They get greedy and extremely dependent of the success of their app. It's not their fault they're just trying to be an entrepreneur.

I personally think that developers need to set a price and stick with it. If their app is no longer selling and bottoming out then they can drop the price a little. So if its $10, after 5 months its not bringing in revenue they drop it to $5. Then from there they can maybe drop it a dollar or set a sale for only 24 hours.

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    He meant to say that he Believes that one spends the same amount of time to make a game for any platform (it still depends on the Game)

Peepz who charge $1 for a game have to sell a lot more to make a living
    Peepz who charge $10 have to sell lesser games as the number of copies sold is multiplied by 10

However Peeps who make games for othr devices sell it for 50€ - 75$ so Peepz who sell games for $10 still have to sell a lot of games when compared to the games being sold @ 50€ - 75$

13. marshmonkey

marshmonkey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Actually it is the opposite. Apple makes tremendously more money selling hardware than they do selling apps: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/14/about-those-iphone-app-store-numbers/

14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Honestly, it's too bad the rest of the world doesn't work like this.
    Consumers should have the power. What's sad is that it doesn't happen everywhere else. ;)

15. justThinkEasy

justThinkEasy Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    I think the thing is that people don't really expect any in-depth games like on other systems. I even didn't until I got Zenonia, every other game that I tried failed to have me coming back cause of poor quality and gameplay (I know there are quality games out there, it's just that the App Store doesn't do a good job showing us where they are). It is sad that these apps have fallen to such low prices, but when I look at other people and what games they have on there iPod it's usually just a pick-up and play type of game and I see why the app store has become what it is. It is very unfortunate because only we see the potential the iPod Touch/iPhone has in gaming but thats how its gonna be because we are outnumbered. No matter how many times you want to go back in time and redo what happened to the app store, the outcome would be the same, it was inevitable.

If I were to choose what most games should be placed at, I would say around $7 like any other mobile device (for my Verizon phone, I paid $8 for Tetris.).

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something else to consider is that most of these "In-Depth" games we've seen randomly pop up lately all began their development cycle long before the market really started getting hardcore with the attitude of "99¢*or I'm not buying it." As I said before, I regularly chat with quite a few developers in keeping tuned in to what's happening on the App Store for Touch Arcade business and it's really just pretty sad to hear how so many of these developers are drastically changing their development strategies, budgets, and timeframes in attempt to turn some kind of profit in a market where you're only taking in 70 cents per sale.

It's easy to be an armchair expert and wag your finger at developers who charge more than the minimum price for their games with no reference to the kind of cost involved in actually producing a project that is good enough for the community to take interest in, and more importantly--Apple to feature.

It's just extremely unfortunate to me that a platform with so much potential is being ruined by this bargain basement pricing trend. Previously where a game might be developed by a team of six guys, consisting of programmers, graphic designers, animators, and musicians are being cut down to two people and in the place of the high quality work of the former animator who the developers now can't afford to get involved in the project you've got a sole artist rendering low quality 3D models. Instead of a talented musician, we're going to get thrown together sound loops from Garage Band samples and prepackaged sound effect bundles. These are the things that get cut when people refuse to pay more than a dollar for a game.

So, I don't know, I guess on one hand you could consider it a victory for the consumer in driving the market to its pricing breaking point. Personally, I just think it's a major loss for the gamers who care about quality over price, as we're the absolute minority in this case.

17. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    whilst I don't like the fact that our games are being limited by the price wars, just like in all business the customer is always right and this website won't make enough difference to change the whole market.
    A few things could happen, slowly prices become higher until sales are not nearly as frequent, it will stay the same or most devs will give up on the system

18. marshmonkey

marshmonkey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    my bet is on many developers giving up after one or two games, and on Apple eventually changing the app store so that top 25 is no longer the only place to find games, giving developers less of an incentive to hack and slash prices in an attempt to get on that chart.

19. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Yea, I'm sure NFS is totally worth $9.99 and I would gladly pay that, BUT I know, almost for a fact the price will drop as soon as they really start to slip in the charts (I think it's #40 right now so it should be a while). So why pay full price for a game when there are so many others to keep me patient for a sale?

I totally agree with this and it really is kind of sad. I'm afraid developers in the future will will be very reluctant to make a well-produced, high-quality game when they simply can't make enough profit (except EA, Gameloft, etc. where it really doesn't matter to them).

20. jackiemac

jackiemac Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 19, 2009