Games you want a price drop!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mattll, May 25, 2009.

1. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Wow, i think Isiliel is really on to something. The app store should find a new way of doing rankings and revenue seems like a way to end this price cutting that will eventually kill many developers...

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Ha! I sold my gamecube for $60 to my friend at work just to go spend $100 to buy the one with the Zelda collection. I even had to drive 45 mins from my house to track down a Gamestop that had the black Gamecube. Now that actually WAS stupid, LOL. But still don't regret it, like I said this is my hobby. That stuffs fun!

EDIT: Oooooohhhhhh you just reminded me that I also had the LCD wristwatch Zelda, I almost totally forgot about that! Nostalgia!

3. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009

Not my idea - wiser folks than me proposed it long ago. But I wholeheartedly agree with this notion, because it would really even out the playing field. I mean, buying cheap is attractive, sure, but if quality apps had the same chance to get into the spotlight and stay there, then they'd have a good fighting chance as well. And after all, it is a direct competition for consumers money, so it is very reasonable to compare money spent.

4. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    A few Posts till #83... I guess we all should wait till June 12th b4 we Bash Apple for keeping the store the way it is.. or.. logon to Apple's feedback for iTunes & tell them that we want a better way of the store.. its Certainly not a bad idea of creating a new thread as it is the conclusion of the issue we started with.. & post what you sent too.

5. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    A big reason why iphone gamers are so cheap is because there are so many interesting apps coming out every day. You know you can't have all of them, but you still want as many of them as possible while trying to avoid going broke. The only way to get a satisfactory amount of decent games is for most of them to be cheap in price and for you to budgetize. Its competition at a level not really seen before. The consoles like Planystation or Xbox dont have a ton of good, interesting games coming out everyday to compete with each other, in fact they'd be lucky to have 5 great newly released games each month.

6. TheKrazyRussian

TheKrazyRussian Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    UPS
    CA
    I would like Need for Speed to have a price drop.
    It'll happen, most of EA games are half price now.

7. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    Tell me about it, Im still waiting. The thing that really has me hesitant to buy that game for its full price is all this talk about auto steering and auto acceleration no gas pedal.

8. TheKrazyRussian

TheKrazyRussian Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    UPS
    CA
    Ohh so the game has steering assistant? That's makes it easy.
    Umm...auto acceleration thought...that sounds like the game is a breeze to play.
    So what does the actuall player get to do besides putting my car into autopilot?

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    The car doesn't completely drive itself for you, it's just that if you decide not to steer around a corner the car will turn around it instead of scraping along the edge of a wall or something

10. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I was just making my point that with a 360 you get your money's worth. With an iPhone you often get ripped off with the promise of updates that never come through.

Now onto price drops

The reason price drops started happening was because in the early app store days over 50 games would come out a day and you would not remain on the recent games list long enough to get much attention and the best way to sell on the iPhone is get visibility.
    Then the devs decided to introduce price drops to get onto the top 50 list, putting their apps at 59p in extremes and the consumers became used to this and would wait it out to buy games. The really good games stayed at their price for months before going down in price eg. SMB and Real Football
    So what i'm saying is that developers started the 'price wars' themselves and you have them to thank for it. A consumer will take what they are given, and if that is low prices then they will take them.

I would like to see Zenonia have a price drop, so i could buy it, because my iTunes has £3.03 on it and I won't pay an extra £5 to get it.

I think whilst the price drops have left people with less money than they would like, it has also made the store more comptetive and requires people to make a class game if they want to sell

11. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    You can't blame every developer for the price drops. After the first devs started doing it, it was pretty much play along or pack it up and go home.

12. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    For one, zenonia is only 3.49 for avery deep experience. I do find if I research games like I do when I buy for xbox then I hardly ever regret a purchase and after all most games are very cheap compared to other counterparts. Using reviews, TA forums, app description and pics/videos, I tend to get a good grasp of the game.

However the timing of app sales is often annoying (cjs/underworlds) where the price suddenly changes after launch is ftustating at best.

13. freedog

Mar 11, 2009

Some don't seem to mind the lack of pure control you have over your vehicle. I dunno though, for $10 they should've included more of a manual driving option. I think I'm gonna wait for a sale or Real Racing to come out.

14. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    its ridiculous that people are complaining that a great game like zenonia is 6 bucks. You are willing to shell out 230 bucks minimum for a device, most people probably 300 for the 16 gb, yet you are complaining about paying 6 dollars for a fantastic game? You are too busy comparing prices to other crappy games on the app store, rather than actually playing the game and judging the game in its own right. And then you are complaining for a price drop on an already super cheap game? I hate consumers.

15. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    When it comes to a game like Zenonia, waiting for a price drop is totally pointless. The game is worth more than the $6 they're charging for it now.

16. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Zenonia is worth more than 6 bucks, even at 20 dollars it's still reasonable.

As for games that needs a price drop? None.

17. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    No matter how much you hate it, $0.99-$5.99 is the app store culture.

Any game released at twenty dollars wouldn't sell nowadays period. No matter how good it is. It may be sad, but it's true.

18. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Quality games can sell for $9.99. NFS and TigerWoods are still in the top 50 apps.

19. Xgamer1224

Xgamer1224 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    apps just come out and people love them. then they stay in the top 100 and when it goes below that after a certain amount of time, SALE!! Its just the app store economy. but i think sonic the hedgehog will have to update and lower their price to compete with zenonia.

20. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Right, but those are the "premium" apps. Those are the ones that stand out in quality and marketing. The ones made by the biggest companies that are the most polished and the most in-depth can go for $9.99.

However, the $9.99 games that do well are are few and far between. Those are exceptions to the culture, not examples of it.

Fourteen of the Top 25 are $0.99, and all 25 of them are between $0.99 and $5.99.