Games you want a price drop!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mattll, May 25, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Change it to what?

Also you're right, I don't know why I bother responding to the weekly "All games should be 99¢" thread. I guess working with developers as close as I do for Touch Arcade really lets me see the effect of the market more than most people and how much all this bargain basement pricing is hurting everyone but the cheapskates.

2. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #42 HardcoreEricXXX, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    Or we'd still be receiving shitty games, for $10. If a company can make $10 off a game that they spent a month developing, what makes you think that they are going to change their ways. I think you think these companies care about you more than they actually do. Because of the low price point, it forces developers to provide a quality game. Compare the amount of quality $6 games that have came out on the iPhone this past month compared to any game console or cell phone. It's only getting better and really quick. Asphalt to NFS in less than a year. DS has had NFS for years, and the iPhones graphics are still better. DS has charged $20 for the game all day everyday for 4 years now, and its still a POS game. With a store that allows anyone to be a developer, of course you will have iFarts, and DSeffects, but look at the larger commitment from Capcom, continuing and increasingly large commitmentments from Gameloft and EA, they havent complained about the pricing, they've just been making better quality games. The lower price point has only driven more quality games cause dev's realize that they have to provide some bang for our buck.

3. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    how can you all want zenonia to have a price drop it already underpriced

4. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

HA HA!! well said. It does have the content for any other console and its only €5 which is amazing

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    All the apps that cost money is what I want a price drop on :cool:
    J/K

I want NFS to drop a couple of bucks, I want it I just need money for 3.0 and Sims 3...

6. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    $50 to $70 for xbox or PS games...that's one reason I will never own one of these things. Hundreds to buy and then I have to potentially waste my money on a game I don't like, no way. I will wait a loooong time for a sale if I have to on something I might or might not like. I had to wait a year or year and 1/2 for Gears of War on PC to go on sale and not just be for sale, but I got it at a discount. I very rarely pay full price for anything if I can help it.

7. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    just on a side note yourofl, you don't need to put "jk" everytime you try to make a joke, we get it already

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Of course there will always be exceptions, just like Khalid Shaikh charges $5 for what amounts to the same RSS reader with a different icon that took him more time to compile in XCode and upload to Apple than it did to program. At a $10 average price point, PixelMines could have afforded to really flesh out Underworlds to be the Diablo clone that it's dying to be. Freeverse could turn their upcoming space game in to a real galactic conquest game, NimbleBit could afford to actually explore some of the ideas they have for games without needing to resort to just churning out 99¢ games like Bluebird because that's all they can afford to do to stay afloat.

The list just goes on and on.

9. ShadowFang

ShadowFang Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Zenonia has just came out and some of you want a price drop already??? geez, i hope they dont drop the price for months so u all can painfully wait while everyone else talks about how fun the game is.

10. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Same here, true things of quality retain their quality long after their release.

11. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    I hope they RAISE the price instead of drop it.

12. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    wow
    didnt thought of these aspects when launching the thread
    i think i´ll buy zenonia and other apps before price drop that the app store good devs wont be ruined '( no joke )
    and i wont make a poll

13. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #53 HardcoreEricXXX, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    I think you are confusing the price with the large number of developers. If there were less developers, it just means all the money that is out there now would be distributed among less people, giving them more money. I dont even know why you pay attention to devs like Khalid Shaikh, i doubt enough people purchase his apps to drive down freeverse's average profits. but lets say you never allowed the Khalid Shaikh and Ds effects, and Touchsoft(Urban Tycoon) to never be a part of the market place, all those small amounts of money would be funneled to the better developers in the long run. If someone wasted money on Unban Tycoon, I'm sure they''d be more than happy to have Build-alot. Since all the games one the app store would be of great quality, it'd allow everyone to move their prices higher so that dev's dont have to lower the price of their quality game to compete with a more basic (often crappy) version of the same game. Then what do ya know, we have another sony, microsoft, or nintendo. Apple made the marketplace open to make it competitive, to make sure that dev's give us Apps that are worth their asking price. To drive quality and innovation, devs are always looking to make their apps the best they can for a price they can afford to sell it at.
    If you want your app store regulated, move to China.

14. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I wish every game would have a $1 sale...

15. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    You are in the Wrong Thread, Period!

16. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Interesting how we've come to expect AMAZING games for what, $1-3?

17. Ipodfan15

Ipodfan15 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
  18. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    What if I told you guys that Apple will be unveiling a new price tier to developers at WWDC next month:

$0.49 USD!

Not that I have insider information... :cool:

19. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :eek:

20. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    U nailed it!