Games you keep coming back to

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by finndc, Nov 4, 2016.

1. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

I've just started playing New Star Soccer again with the new update. First time I've played it in a while and it's still awesome. It made me think about which games I've put the most time into on mobile.

There are plenty of games that don't get their teeth into you for long but are still ace and leave a lasting impression. But, much fewer that really keep you coming back day after day. Or at least get you to revisit when flicking through the games you've got installed.

What are the games that have kept you coming back for years?

2. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    #2 Stronsay, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Not years exactly, as it was only released in January, but Lost in Harmony is an app that I don't think I'll ever tire of. A near perfect fusion of art and music and timing. Uplifting and totally immersive, especially over headphones that can handle the heavy bass.

3. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Infinity Blade 3. Still plays fantastic on iOS10 and on the 12.9pro its glorious to look at.

4. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I'll also put in a vote for New Star Soccer. I've deleted it twice, but it's a game that I know I can return to and enjoy no matter how many times I play it. I'll throw in the Football Manager series as well - I don't see much point in differentiating them by year, as the Touch line, at least, doesn't change greatly apart from the database.

Generally speaking, I prefer games with a storyline or finite campaign, so I don't tend to return to them when I'm done. However, I find it hard to delete games with random or roguelike elements, like Land Sliders or Downwell. I'm still terrible at Downwell, but every now and again I come back to it to see if I have magically improved my skills. I also kept Stick Tennis for years, but Tennis Champ Returns has superseded it this year.

But the best of them all is 868-HACK. I like Imbroglio a lot, but I reckon 868-HACK is Michael Brough's best roguelike. I love that 1980s sci-fi hacker theme, too.

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Power Grounds
    RoboSockets
    Faif
    Hipsta Chez
    Chip Chain

6. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

Must admit, that's one of those games I installed, played the first couple of levels, thought 'this is ace!' and then never went back to :-/ I think it's still on my iPad, I'll have to fire it up again. Good shout.

Yeah, that's probably why I can't list that many examples myself, actually. Hearthstone is one of the only exceptions I can think of. And I was gonna say Settlers of Catan and then realised that what I keep going back to is a really long campaign mode.

That's another one I should perhaps reinstall. Didn't quite grab me immediately enough at the time I first bought it, even though I could tell there was some clever stuff going on there. I loved the aesthetic of it all, am into my sci-fi as well

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    MHFU
    Infinity Blade 3
    Goblin Sword
    Wayward Souls
    EPOCH.2
    Temple Run 2
    Evoland
    Polara
    Boson X
    Super Hexagon
    Wave Wave
    Zen Pinball
    Colossatron
    Slayin

These are the ones i still play from time to time, and each one of these i instabought on release.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What game exactly do you mean when you say "settlers of catan"? Do you mean the app called just "catan"? Just curious because I didn't know it had a fully fledged campaign, rather just thought it was a board game with one off games.

9. autofire

autofire Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Always can come back to

Threes
    Spl-t
    Dream quest
    Pixel dungeon
    Impossible road
    Wazhack
    Solipskier
    Tap Titans

There's something great about all of them - the need to do better than before, I guess. Tap Titans is different, in that I just always keep getting 'better', but very slowly now... (One game every 2 months or so)

10. autofire

autofire Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    "They Live"?

11. kythg

kythg Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Game Designer
    London
    I can't get away from Downwell, I've been playing the game since release and it's my go to whenever I have a spare 10 minutes - I absolutely love it. SPL-T was another I was addicted to on public transport, both phenomenal.

12. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    +1 for Slayin, and I'll add Silversword to the list. Also, any original Final Fantasy game

13. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

Yep, the app called Catan. The campaign is excellent - there's a fairly bland story involved but it's mainly a way for them to keep upping the difficulty and introducing you to more features. Great way to learn (and get pretty good at) the game.

Don't know why I forgot Threes, that's been on my phone for years now. Cheers for the reminder that Impossible Road exists too! Another one I'd almost forgotten even though I loved playing it for months.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Miss Claire Garden
    rRootage
    Incoboto
    Starbase Orion

There's more but they don't run on newer OS versions or just aren't in the store anymore...

I've played through Incoboto at least 10 times and won't even go into how many times I've played through MCG.
    rRootage and SO are just... Stuck on me.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I found starbase Orion to be very repetitive and really any sign of a tech tree that 4x's should have was very shallow. I found that each turn was mostly about checking resource or population or science numbers, making sure it all stacked up, and then looking for another planet to do the same thing with. Build up my ships and eventually head for the enemy. I really couldn't see much more depth in it than any other 4x.

I'm saying this, because I'd love to hear what has kept you going on this for it to be a repeat interest to you? What have I missed in this title?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    MP.
    It's the only 4X game my nephew (the only person I play MP/Co-op with) can get into.

But I totally agree, it's a little watered down. Star Traders is a little better, but Autumn Dynasty Warlords is one I've been trying to get him into, he just doesn't seem to be able to click with it... So I don't really play it much either.
    But SO is also the game that got me into 4x titles, so I'm sure there's some sort of nostalga attached to it as well...

Mobile is funny with 4X...
    Really hope MoO or Alpha Centauri get ports some day...

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ^ All good. I understand where you're coming from now. Getting a youngster into some grownup gaming that both of you can enjoy together adds another dimension, a very enjoyable one at that.

For yourself, you could look over Planar Conquest, which is fantasy based though the devs have slowed down a little now, but still involved I think.

There's also eclipse which is a board game type of 4x. Will require some reading of the rules and watching a tutorial. If you do, remember you don't have to play with plasma missiles switched on!

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Marvel Future Fight... its insane every day of my life I drop everything I am doing to play at 9 when the daily quests reset. Well its 8 now with the time change but you get the point lol.