iPad Games you disliked at first, then got to love

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Blue Skies and Dr. Awesome - man was I wrong about those two at first!

2. Danillson

Danillson Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Blue Skies is a good example.
    For me it's Hero of Sparta...

3. For me, definitely iFishing.
    Those that remember the thread will know that my initial impressions of it were extremely negative- I thought it was rubbish! You cast, you wait, nothing happens etc etc.
    Then the dev (RPGGuy) posted a guide online which really helped non-fisherman like myself, and I got the game. I realized you have more chance of catching them when reeling in etc. Now I love it.

4. Kursndax

Kursndax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    lately I been playing crazy hotdogs and chocolate shop frenzy, I got pretty much all the top games on my phone and those 2 games get played everyday for long periods of time more than any game. I am addicted to these types of games

is there more games like these?

5. aerolord

aerolord Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Touchgrind. I never tried or like skateboard in any way, so I thought "meh, another stupid game". So I tried it and intantly hook onto it.

6. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    AutoMangle - it was buggy and incomplete at first. Now it is fun as hell to pick up and play, and it keeps getting better.

Pathways - gets harder and harder with each level

Bike or Die 2- I hated the floaty bike physics at first. One I got used to it and took it for what it is this game got much better. It is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played.

7. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
  8. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Dropship, the controls are so odd feeling. I STILL don't have the hand of shooting quite right. But now that I can fly well the game is much more fun.

9. damballah

damballah Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    QFT. I hated it at first, but I'm starting to really love it now.

10. SeanBartley

SeanBartley New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Dropship for me for sure.

When I first started playing this game the controls were insane and I could not figure out how it all worked out. The point of the game, shooting, ect. Now after spending alot of time with it and giving it a chance im hooked on it. Its a difficult game, tho I love you can go back and play levels to beat your high scores!

11. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Fuzzle. At first I thought it was a dumb, boring puzzle game.

It's now my most played game - I LOVE it. :D I play it about every day, and I'm pretty high on the high scores too. (I was in the top 20 or so for a bit but now I think I'm in the top 100)

12. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Definitely Zombie Mansion.... No wait I still hate it! :mad:

13. 2079

did not like the tilt controls for motion but now i love it

14. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    De Blob. Its not that I didnt like it at first its just that It seemed boring. But now I cant stop playing it.

15. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Mine would have to be blue skies...

16. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    id have to say Aurara Feint and Cuberunner

17. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Thtouch
    Galcon

They all just seemed slow at first, but they really grew on me. Galcon especially cause of the online

18. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Kyodai

There are a few more time management genre games. I've played Sally's Salon, Daycare Nightmare and the lite version of Chocolate Shop Frenzy. Sally's Salon was OK but fairly easy. Daycare Nightmare is fun and is slightly harder as the babies become unhappy very quickly compared to the customers in Sally's Salon. I haven't purchased Chocolate Shop Frenzy as I found the demo to be very easy and I am concerned that the rest of the game will be just as easy.
    Diner Dash: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289530584&mt=8
    Sally's Salon: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294026381&mt=8
    Daycare Nightmare: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297236654&mt=8

So, to get back on topic, one game I really didn't like the first time I played it is Kyodai. I just didn't understand how you removed pieces from the game board. I could do it when they were next to each other but I just couldn't work out how to remove pieces when they were not next to each other. Then when I was freeing up space for more apps I was going to delete it. I thought I'd try it again before I deleted it and I am glad I did. I stuck with it until I worked out how to play and it's really good.

19. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    I forgot to add Vector Pong. When it first came out with the accelerometer controls it was terrible. But I stuck with it and now with touch controls it is such a fun little game.

20. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    add another vote for dropship... although I am not sure if I really 'love' it but it's another nice game on the go.

MotionX's Poker Quest (I bought the first MotionX Poker at $4.99). It's basically a recycled game but faster, more stuff, and in my opinion, a much better theme.