iPad Games list is manageable now.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gregz0r, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

they slashed the list to about 150 of the main games, from the ludicrous 1500+ that was there before.

2. Magnulus

Magnulus Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Student + Barista
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Wait... Does that mean that the others are GONE or just that you'd have to search for them? Either way, it sound "clean" but it also sounds kind of bad. Who decides what a "main" game is?

3. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    This shows up like when you go to the top 25 for music.. and you have to click "Twenty-Five more" and gradually expand the category...

It still shows 1500+ apps though on the category list screen

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Very interesting. We'll see if this changes peoples' perception of the category. I'm still hoping for a top 50 list in larger categories. They must be in a halfway state right now, since most of the games aren't even in the list anymore. Luckily, TanZen is! :)

5. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Now some games are even showing up twice....

6. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    I think I've figured it out. The first 25 are newly released/updated games. #26-100 are #26-100 from iTune's top 100 games list.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yuk

I hate it. I like being able to scroll through all the apps. I don't want to have to search for something. I have found most of my games by just randomly scrolling through and reading the reviews. How can they only show me 50?!
    Dumbest update ever. :mad:

8. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

Good, but

recently added
    top 25 games

good but they should have those two categories in different lists, not just scrolling down to get to the next

9. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    The top 25 games are already in the top 50 apps list, so that may just be redundant, which is why I believe they are skipping those, and starting with #26 instead.

10. AndrewENZ

AndrewENZ Active Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Graphic Design
    Wellington, New Zealand
    it would be ok if new releases always showed up at the top of the list, but they don't. I check the app store regularly, but sometimes I only hear about a new game on this site. Spore for instance.

11. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    It's a disaster for developers. It increases the "winner takes all" factor immensely: If you're in the top 25, You Win. Everyone else is dead. We all know people only tend to look at the top few items, but now instead of only a few curious/adventurous people scrolling down the list in search of new things to try out, you're outright invisible to people on their phones.

Result? Sales of Hexterity, which were low, but growing slightly due to word-of-mouth (worldwide average review score: 4.5 stars), dropped to precisely zero since the store changed. Stage Hand sales were cut by around 60-70%.

12. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    wooji - Hexterity looks great, might download it today. :)

13. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

It should cut out all the sub-standard apps that have flooded the Store up to now and help to ensure quality.
    Basically if your app is decent, it should get noticed.

14. fg3

fg3 Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Which list?

There are so many lists of games in the app store I'm not sure which one you all are talking about. In fact they are so disorganized I use the list of new apps here to find out what's new rather than the one in the store, but now this one doesn't seem to be quite right. Take Zombie Invasion for example.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    it's interesting. The only way to get sales, then, is to keep releasing updates and changing the release date. I think we're going to get flooded with meaningless app updates now. Lots of "code optimization" byou should try it with Hezterity and report back the results.

16. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    #16 wooji, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
    @ different #12: Thanks, hope you enjoy it! :)

@ Gregz0r #13: If only that were true. But with less than 10% of the games even visible on the iPhone, and fierce competition for the remaining slots -- which will mostly be filled by publishers with deep pockets for marketing budget -- do you really think it will work that way?

@ fg3 #14: This is the games list on the iPhone itself, which isn't broken down into categories, so there's just a single list. Personally, I think separating it out into puzzle, racing, shooter, etc would be a better way to keep the list manageable than simply axing it after 25 new + 75 popular titles.

If people can only see the popular titles, the popular titles will just get more popular, and nothing else will get a look-in. 's yer basic feedback loop right there.

17. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    It was like that before. All that's changed now is those that don't know the availability date change trick are going to get screwed.

18. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    Nah, I've been tracking the stats since July and it wasn't like this before. You certainly used to get fewer sales the further down the list you were. But outside of Games and Entertainment, the categories aren't as crowded, so while you might get twice as many sales on days when you're on the front page of the Business section, you would still be earning money the rest of the time, just not as much. Now? Gone.

19. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    I agree with this. Although the last few days, our game in the Games section hasn't seen a significant downturn yet. But we've long since disappeared from the list so no one was going to find us through the list anyway.

Bad timing on my reply because I was commenting towards this:

20. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, it's always been that way to an extent. Personally, while the 'top of the list' spike is lovely, I've pushed updates out in response to user requests, and tried to bundle changes together into a single update where possible. I may be alone in this however :p

I'm still hoping the app store change is just a bug or experiment, and that we'll see some more changes that allow the "long tail" to continue...