Games/Apps where you're still waiting for those developer-promised updates...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BrettArchibald, Jan 5, 2009.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #1 BrettArchibald, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    This is a thread where you can list the games or apps that you're still waiting for those developer-promised updates.
    All too often a developer publishes a game on the App Store with promises of "forthcoming features" that are not included in the current version, but are attractive enough for customers to buy knowing (hoping) that the promised update will come.
    What is sometimes a delicate situation though is where we're still encouraged to buy the "feature-crippled" version that is currently available now, rather than later when the update comes, as it is on a limited-time half-price sale, or suchlike.

Personally speaking, I haven't found myself in one of those situations, yet, where I've been blatantly lied to by a developer, but maybe others have.

So I personally don't intend my post to be viewed as a "name-and-shame" type of thread (although others might want theirs to be), but rather a helpful gathering of titles where people can list the games that they're waiting for updates on, for one of two reasons:
    (a) so that hopefully someone can provide further info on the game in question, or
    (b) they can let everyone else here know the info that they have since learned when trying to find out further info themselves.

So, list the games, and where possible/relevant, please include:
    - a link to the game.
    - when the promise was initially made.
    - when the update was promised for.
    - what the update you're waiting is supposed to incorporate.
    - the actual quote the developer said.
    - any URLs that support the above.
    - whether you have contacted the developer or not.

Then if anyone — especially the developers themselves — can respond with further info on these expected updates, I'm sure we would all appreciate it.

Here's my list:

High Speed Chase
    The developer says on the App Store game-page:
    I don't know when this text was added to the game description, but the game is still at version 1.0.0.
    I have just sent an email to the developer and also sent him a link to this post, so that he has the option of replying to more than just me personally.
    Update: Just received an auto-reply from the developer saying "We have received your support request and aim to get back to you within 1 working day".

Loopy Laboratory
    The game originally came with 50 levels, but a lot of people found those initial levels too quick and easy.
    In an email from me to the developer, dated October 17th, I said:
    "Do you have any plans to add more levels, over and above the original 50, in any future game updates?"
    He replied shortly, saying:
    "If the game does well I might consider releasing an update that adds new levels and/or perhaps some kind of mechanism where people can create their own."
    Then on October 21st, the developer promised more levels, here:
    http://toucharcade.com/2008/10/21/sales-on-loopy-laboratory-venger-nanosaur-2/#comment-5186
    He concluded his post by saying:
    "On a more cheerful note: I can confirm that additional levels are on the way."
    I haven't heard anything about this since then, so I have no idea what the status on this is.
    I have just sent an email to the developer and also sent him a link to this post, so that he has the option of replying to more than just me personally.

Neverputt ME
    The initial release of this game, although showing a lot of promise, was quite buggy, and seemed half-finished, and when I enquired on the forums here if anyone knew of any forthcoming updates to the game, the developer himself replied — http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1667
    Although he did say "Hope the update will be ready for xmas", which has since come and gone...
    I have just sent a PM to the developer and also sent him a link to this post, so that he has the option of replying to more than just me personally.

FLOverload
    I didn't buy version 1 of this game, based on the reviews I read, but instead decided to wait for the developer-promised version 2 of the game.
    Having exchanged a few emails with the developer, he said development of the game had been put on hold while they were moving offices, simply saying that the 2.0 update "will likely be after the new year".

Pipes
    The developer says on the App Store game-page:
    He hasn't said when these are coming, and I haven't heard anything about this anywhere else.

2. Pipes

Hi all,
    I'm the developer of Pipes. I've been actively working on the best times feature. I have local/offline times working, and the next step will be to put up the online leaderboard.

I'm hoping to submit something to Apple either this week or next week. I'll post here again (and update my description in the App Store) once it's been submitted.

3. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Thanks for the uber-quick response Michael! :)

For me, that's just the one feature that's missing from this super-simple-concept-but-fiendishly-addictive-and-moreish game!

4. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Hi,
    news on Neverputt ME, is that I have improved the performance enough to add a number of new very challenging holes over 2 new courses. I am play testing these at the moment. Ready for release to Apple for review in about a weeks time. The holiday season slowed up my game MiZoo's approval, so things lagged a bit. But that is the current situation.

I have also got rRootage running at much closer the intended speed, and will be submitting an update for that very soon too.

I have been working very hard on all of this honestly. Its not like I'm a slacker :)

Hope that helps....

5. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Thanks for the update from your side of things too lazrhog - much appreciated.

(Typed on my iPhone)

6. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Did you read my mind?

You must have read my mind. I was going to post a question to the forum about the FLOverload update. Like you I have not purchased it yet. I'm waiting for the update. I regularly check iTunes and still no update. It looks like a puzzle game with a lot of potential. But I'm hesitant to purchase it seeing as so much time has now passed since the developer promised an update and still it is not available.

7. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Can't believe you forgot Urban Tycoon. The dev dissapeared. But I found him. He told me to get a life :rolleyes:. But also that they date was pushed back. If you search TouchSoft on the app store you will see he has another unity game so I have a little tiny bit of hope.

8. JohnnyTwoShoes

JohnnyTwoShoes New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Hi there, it's Max from JohnnyTwoShoes here. We haven't forgotten about the promised features, in fact, we uploaded the new version on Friday evening. It's currently awaiting approval from Apple (like the description in the App Store states). The new version will be 1.1.0 and should be online in the next few days.

We're also planning further updates so stay tuned at JohnnyTwoShoes.

Thanks for getting in touch!

9. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Thanks to you too Max for the reply — much appreciated, and I look forward to the update.

10. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I just noticed something about their other game (Pizza Dash) by using my review scraper. They have a sum total of 4 reviews, all 5 stars, for the game in the US store. And guess what, they're the same five people that rated Urban Tycoon 4 stars just after it was released. Coinky-dink? I think not :)

2 of them have only ever rated two games, Pizza Dash and Urban Tycoon, and another of them rated my game (the lite version) 1 star - I wonder why that could be ;)

Gotta love that dev :D

(Sorry, back on target. I think for many devs, they have big plans but need to get some income to offset the time spent developing in the first place. If they don't sell many, it's difficult to justify producing updates. best thing for a dev to do is not promise anything and then surprise people.)

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    LOL he said to get a life????

12. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Yep. Gotta love devs. I just LMAO and told him: W/E. I rather stay like this and not rip tons of peoe to get a life.

13. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    He is clearly the most F'd up iphone dev---not that there was a long list to begin with anyway

14. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Well on Pizza Dash; the unity devs rated that. He came up with idea for a support group. And since I had just found him and saw how well he was scamming people again; I simply bumped in and said Oh so touchsoft is here now? I see he's ripping people off again. I guess he knew what I was talking cause he posted the release for urban tycoon was pushed back. Anyway back on topic; devs help each other out cause of that group so that might be why.

15. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    LMAO!!!! I have his adress; I might take a road trip to visit him. Maybe mek might want to join me. :)

16. JaSoN L

JaSoN L Member

Jan 1, 2009
    iBowl live

The iBowl 'live' update adds new multiplayer, bowling alleys and other features. The pictures of the update are on the app and the website is all based on the update.

So SGN, whats up with the update???

17. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #17 BrettArchibald, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    So, it's been a couple of days now, and from my list at least, all but one of the developers has replied — and that one developer is the guy responsible for Loopy Laboratory. I don't know if that silence is indicative of anything or not...?

Although I have noticed that the News page on his website has a few articles on it, but nothing since October 21st...
    Hmmmmm...?

18. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    This update is now out, so there you go!
    I am still waiting for the Flick Bowling update with real pin physics.

19. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Bobble Surfer by Lemur Software, adding Barrels and Scoring apparently.. hasn't changed in months

20. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Smiles update is in progress. By the end of the month for sure, but it might be ready sooner.