Gamers who have both iPhone and iPad.. Do you observe such user behavior...?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Silverous, Sep 7, 2012.

1. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #41 violentv, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

Hey bytebrain.. if you are looking for a stylus for drawing you should check out the adonit jot pro. I think if you go through all the stylus reviews on the net..the general consensus is that if you want precision.. this is the stylus to get. It has a unique transparent plastic disc so you can see and place the tip of the stylus accurately. The disc rotates too so you can write/draw at any angle you want.

I have been using it on a daily basis and I am rather satisfied with it. It looks good and it actually feels like I am holding a pen instead of a bloody thick marker. Lots of popular apps like procreate, note taker HD etc are all optimized for the adonit styluses too. erm..they even have a new pressure sensitive ios stylus too if you require that for drawing.

Edit: I suppose I should have made this a PM =p

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Lol!
    Thank you very much for the recommendation. :)
    I checked out a couple of videos after I read this, and it looks great!
    I will definitely order one.
    :)

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I prefer playing 99% of games on my ipod touch, just find it uncomfortable on my ipad. Plus i just love the ipod touch, this tiny device just can do so much, read graphic novels, watch movies, play so many games on this tiny small device which i can easily fit in my pocket if i'm out or hook it up to my car to play podcasts/music etc.

Also i had an ipod for about a year before getting an ipad so i'm just so used to the ipod for gaming etc.

4. Yeah, I have like 5 styluses, kind of a hobby I guess cause each has their own feel and purposes. The ampen fiber tipped rubber stylus works best all around, but it has a thick tip. For an all around one, it is best.

For drawing and writing, I have the Bamboo stylus, traded my friend a $7 stylus for it since he didn't like it. But it feels really nice and has a smaller tip. Use it for handwriting, but it is a little heavy.

Got one of those small brush like stylus, it works good with shmups cause it moves fast, but it covers the most area.

I tried the jot stylus, and while it was good for drawing and handwriting, it really is not something I liked because it has a terrible feel to it. When you hit the screen of the ipad with this stylus, there is no cushion, so it is like metal on metal, very harsh contact. While it is plastic tipped, it feels unnatural, and though it would never happen, it makes you feel concerned about damage to your ipad.

Anyway, I rarely ever handwrite on my ipad since I'm not a student, so I returned the jot stylus since it was pretty expensive. It also has a axe like cut in it that bugged me when you hold it cause it would eat into your skin a little. But if you are an artist or student, I would say you should try this for sure. But for general purpose and gaming, I wouldn't buy it.

There are some good $1 or less styluses on Amazon, I bought the 3 pack blue ribbon ones since they were so cheap, and I am shocked how good they are, they outperform the $15 Targus styluses. They were what 33 cents a piece with free shipping, and they do really well. Kept one, gave two as gifts. I recommend them too.

But the Ampen new hybrid stylus is by far the best one and at $9, I feel is the best overall stylus.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds like some of you guys could do with lessons on how to chillax comfortably with an iPad ;)

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Wauv!
    A lot of food for thought Connecter.
    Thank you for your in depth impressions. I appreciate it. :)

I'm never gonna be a professional artist or anything, but I enjoy drawing, and there's ls some pretty good apps for that out there, so the right stylus for the right job is important.

I think I might go for more than one stylus and see if maybe I'll be able to use them for different jobs.

7. PodCubed

PodCubed Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Australia
    Sorry to hear about the laptop Connector :( On topic, I think gaming can be enjoyable on both devices but I got to admit, that extra real estate does give more options when developing games - if thought of properly though :p

In regards to the mini drawing topic, did you anyone ever get to try that LunaTik pen? we got a hold of one and although I'm no artist it seems quiet nice. Might give this Ampen a go ;)

8. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Try procreate!

9. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    When I bought my iPad, I was certain I'd find ways that it's not just an oversized iPhone that can't make calls. I failed. My iPhone is all I use, from iWork's suite to RPG Quest: Minimæ. My iPad is stowed away as backup in case my phone dies and I need access to my apps.

10. Thanks, don't really miss my laptop much, only two things I kind of miss are having a good copy of mame on there and also being able to download a ton of legal movies which I would never watch, but other than that, much rather have my new ipad.

I'm actually at the Apple storer right now, was curious and looked at the macbook pro retina laptops. What a huge letdown! I was expecting a great screen, but what the heck??? The specs say that the laptop can show up to 2800 max resolution, but it really only gets around 1800???

The Apple guy kept telling me that while the screen can show 2800 pixels max, Apple won't let you use it due to the text being too small. What the heck??? Crazy, so what use is having a screen that can show retina?

So it seems from what I saw that the new retina macbook pro is about halfway the resolution from an ipad 2 and new ipad.

The ipad 2 is about the resolution of most laptops, but was sad to see that that the macbook pro couldn't use it's maximum resolution. The Apple guy kept telling me, that you would never what to use that high resolution anyway cause text would be so small, but what garbage.

I bought my new ipad cause it could show a max of 2400 pixels. And of course the portability. My iphone 4 has suffered from it since I don't use it anymore. Gaming just isn't the same on it.

So nowadays, don't really care about the size too much, but a little disappointed they didn't to to a 4.3 inch screen like most Samsungs.

Then I went over to the desktops here at the Apple store, screens were nice and big.... But blurry since they weren't retina. Then tried the mouse, now I appreciate having a touchscreen ipad even more.

Maybe I would be the only one, but I wouldn't mind having a 12 inch ipad, if the weight could be the same as my new ipad. Then the screen keyboard would be close to a regular keyboard. That would be sexy.

Yeah, about the styluses, give the ampen hybrid stylus a shot, it's $9 on amazon, it beats all other styluses hands down. I have tried over 20 different styluses, and it is my stylus of choice. But I use my stylus mostly for games and internet not drawing.

Dang, wish they would come out with the icontroller soon. Having a wireless joystick would be awesome and would be a game changer on the ipad. Or maybe someone can modify the xbox360 or ps3 joystick to work with the ipad. That would rock!

11. KookiWooki

KookiWooki Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't own an iPad but I know that I would definitely play on it more than my iPod touch if I did have one. :)

12. #52 Connector, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Well, left the Apple store, went to the EXTRA party at the Grove, saw Mario Lopez, Geoge Lopez, and many other famous stars. They had a huge party, got free food, Cheesecake factory cheesecake (man it was soooo big!), fried squid, and good gourmet hamburgers. Will be on tv today on EXTRA, got a free magic book, teenage mutant ninja doll, and ps3 transformers game. All for free.

So now I'm back at the Apple store. They won't tell me anything about the iphone 5. And still get the same answer that you can't use the macbook pro retina with max resolution cause the text would be too small. Garbage.

Then went to the Sony store. Played with the vita, man it is another big disappointment! I played about 10 games including Virtua tennis, fifa 12, wipeout, and many others.

Boy, I was really disappointed. I was happy to hear about the Vita when it first came out, but comparing gaming on the new ipad vs the vita is nothing what I thought it would be. The new ipad wins hands down. In fact, I think the iphone even gives the vita a run for its money.

Comparing the game prices of $40 vs $1 hurts alot. Virtua tennis on my ipad plays so much better and Asphalt 7 beats even wipeout hands down. The vita is weird in that it sometimes uses buttons, sometimes touch screen, so it was a little confusing.

Anyway, totally disappointed with the vita, now I'm happy I got a new ipad and iphone. The Sony Android tablet was not impressive either. I played games like Sprinkle, Razor Salvation, Jeopardy, and angry birds. It played worse than an ipad 2 in my opinion.

So I guess for now, nothing beats the combo of a new ipad and iphone for portable gaming. We'll have to see what the Microsoft surface will bring to the table, but reading new articles, it is not going to be that high resolution, so that sucks. Just hope they come out with an xbox joystick for it, so Apple will be forced to add a wireless joystick too.

It's so great to be able to play inexpensive games on my ipad and iphone. Man, seeing all the prices of console games and vita games are scary. You can get a lot of great games for $50 on ios, especially on sale. Made me realize today now valuable games like Asphalt 7, Virtua Tennis, Nova 3, Galaxy on Fire hd, and others are that have recently sold for a buck. Makes you appreciate the small things in life, even for a buck.

13. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Well I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 1.

iPad 1 isnt really good for graphic intense games. Cant play those without crashing so I have games like PvZ, World of Goo, Carcassonne, Labyrinth 2, Dead Space works fine though.

iPhone I have those quick fix games (angry birds, cut the rope).

I think the iPad mini might be the best gaming device (if it has retina and at least a dual-core A5).

I feel iPad is more for productivity, iPhone is more as a utility (phone, GPS), and the iPad mini will hopefully be the best at media and entertainment.

14. Well the ipad mini is rumored to be non retina, so it would have the same resolution as an ipad 2. Of course, because it is a little smaller, it will look a little better than the ipad 2.

What do you mean by productivity? Word processing and databasing?

For media, internet, and gaming, the new retina ipad will still be the best due to the retina screen. The ipad mini won't be able to compete.

Where it will be able to compete will be portability. I think a lot of women will buy it since they can fit it into their purses. Also, the price point will let more kids and seniors buy it as well.

I think the hardcore users will still tend to go for the new ipad mainly for the retina screen, but some more casual users who are on s budget will love the ipad mini.

Personally, I am all for it, cause then more and more developers will create ipad games. So it is a win win situation whether you have a new ipad or an ipad mini. :)

Edit: you know, I have never ever used an ipad 1, wonder how it looks compared to an ipad 2.

15. Cynthia from GameDeck here and I've gone almost all iPad since I got mine, purely because the screen is larger. My eyes can handle the tiny screen on the iPhone except for games like Bejeweled. That's better on the phone.

I've been playing Jurassic Park Builder and I can't see how anyone could play a world building game on the iPhone. I need space to spread out!

16. Yeah, there are a handful of games I like to play better on my iphone like Beat Hazard, Mole Escape, and Mega Man X. Sometimes tilt games too are better on my iphone.

But nowadays, usually if I am on the road without my ipad, I use my iphone to read google news since I have cellular internet, and kind of prefer that to gaming on my iphone.

But is nice to have games that are universal so that I can try then on both my ipad and iphone!

17. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    iPhone 5 is out, you can go there and try again. haha =p

18. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Based on the comments on this thread, it does seems like majority of the users observed sort of a behavior change after they bought their iPad.

Interesting! =)

19. Yeah, after my laptop was stolen, I relied on my faithful iphone 4 to be my main internet portal and gaming console while at home. It was faithful and true. Still remember the days reading google news on my iphone, reading my emails, and playing games like cut the rope, dodonpachi, and cover orange.

Didn't want to buy an ipad 2 because I heard way in advance of the new ipad retina, and I really wanted retina. So waited almost a year like this where at home I didn't have a laptop, so used the iphone 4 as my main computer, after a long day at work.

But when the new ipad came out, I got it the first week it came out, and have loved it ever since. I think my iphone is jealous, but she understands my love for my ipad, and has not made any demands on me for my time haha.

Anyway, now I'm happy having an iphone and new ipad. Don't miss having a laptop at all. I love the inexpensive games, and the games are so diverse and fun!

20. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Did you get an iPad Mini? =p