Gamers who have both iPhone and iPad.. Do you observe such user behavior...?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Silverous, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #21 Janni, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    i'm playing platformers and tilt'ers on the phone (mostly action/arcade stuff)... everything else on the pad

but for sure, i need both of them ;)

edit: TWEWY is probably another good example that some games actual play much better on a small (touch-)screen

2. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Mine varies. I prefer strategy, shmups and adventure games on the ipad, whereas other genres are more enjoyable on the iphone for me. Platformers in particular I like on the smaller screen - must be a throwback to my time with gameboys and GBAs.

3. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I play most games on my iPod 4. My new iPad is like a replacement for my never used laptop.
    I honestly think an iPad mini might be the best thing for gaming. Not as heavy, hopefully, as the iPad. A little smaller to be more accomaditing for button placement in games. If it has the ram I'll pick one up to replace the nearly obsolete iPod.
    Gaming on the iPhone isn't as appealing. Killing the battery on your phone is never the best idea.

4. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I still play on both but normally I favor the iPad now. Especially large rpg games and such. My iPhone now mainly holds games you can play in short bursts on the toilet :)

5. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I started iOS gaming when I got my 3GS, but once I got the original iPad, I realized I enjoyed that experience so much more than the small screen.

Then I got the iPhone 4S and started putting retina games or larger file sized games on the phone, until the new iPad came out, and that's where 99% of my gaming is.

Of course, I keep the original iPad loaded with games mostly as a battery back up for gameplay while my new iPad charges, lol. So, yeah, for me, gaming is so much better on an iPad compared to phone.

I look for universal apps mostly for games that I can sync between devices in case I'm out and about and don't have my iPad with me and can use my phone to continue progress.

6. Have to agree with you all, once most people get an ipad, they rarely play games on their iphone. It is so much more fun playing with the added real estate, longer battery life, and new ipad retina screen.

Nowadays, I look for ipad games, and if a game isn't universal, won't buy those iphone only games anymore. I sure hope the developers start making some more ipad games like Bastion, and once the ipad mini comes along, I'm sure the ipad gaming market will be brighter as well.

One thing that I do wish is that we could use the ipad as a phone. Then I would probably do away with a phone all together. It's almost like paying double, and since I carry my ipad almost everywhere I go, I wouldn't miss a phone one bit if I could use a headset with my ipad.

But since my last laptop was stolen, my ipad has become my laptop, and has faithfully done a good job. Love the fact that I can browse the web from anywhere that has free wifi. Also the games are great and are dirt cheap! Just wish I could fold my ipad into four different parts, so it would fit in my pocket! Haha

The ipad mini will be great for females since they can put them in their purses. For me, have to use a backpack, which I've kind of gotten used to, since I put some water bottles in it, and voila, a disaster emergency bag, my ipad, water, and a jacket.

Do any of you others carry your ipad around with you all the time? Anybody else want to use their ipads as phones?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nope... not to me. I still play more on the 4S than on the iPad3.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I've only played on an original iPad and an iPad 2. I'm a smoker, and usually play while I'm smoking, holding the device at about a 75% angle. I can see how an iPad would be a great gaming device if placed on a flat surface or when using an external controller, but honestly, both the iPad 1 and 2 were too cumbersome for me.

Holding an iPad with one hand and using the other to manipulate the screen can wear your wrists out pretty quickly.

OTOH, I owned, but sold, a Kindle Fire. I didn't feel like getting locked into yet another proprietary digital marketplace. AppStore, PSN, XBOX, Steam, GOG...I've had enough thankyouverymuch.

The experience did show me that the mini iPad might be the device I'm waiting for.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    This happened to me (I have an iPod 4 and iPad 2). It's mostly because the iPod 4 lacks RAM and so in a lot of instances it loads more slowly. However, some games like match 3s, pathpix, etc., feel much more natural on a small screen played with one hand. I also prefer using my iPod if I'm out, as it fits in my pocket and doubles as an MP3 player.

My iPad gets more use for web things because using sites like Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest, etc., is much easier with a lot of screen space and more RAM.

10. Doctor_G

Doctor_G Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Game Developer
    Singapore
    I've got an iPhone 4S and an iPad.

The games I played most on iPhone were:
    + Game Dev Story
    + Feed Me Oil
    + Robbery Bob

Ever since I bought an iPad though, I've used my iPhone mostly for:
    + chatting (whatsapp),
    + emailing
    + and playing Plague Inc when I'm not on my iPad.

I've completely shifted all forms of entertainment to my iPad and I'm getting quite annoyed with the screen-size on my iPhone for playing and also for things like reading.

I'm absolutely hooked on Plague Inc at the moment and even though the actions are pretty simple, playing it on the iPad is just way better because of the larger screen size.

Anyone got a Galaxy SII/SIII/Nexus and iPad combo?

11. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I use both. Some games are better suited to the smaller form of the phone and some are better on the larger Ipad screen. Games that require lots of tilting I tend to prefer on the phone. Games that require lots of fast and accurate screen touchs (RTS/Tower Defense for instance) work better on the ipad. The fact is, I have my phone with me wherever I go so if I have time to kill and feel like playing a game, well its right there for me...

12. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I never understood why people play on the iPad without a cover with some sort of stand.
    Since I bought my first iPad, ( I've owned all three editions), I've used a cover with a adjustable stand. NOT like the Apple cover, but one I can rest on my lap, only supporting the iPad while gaming, reading or surfing on the web, instead of holding/carrying it.

There's plenty of great covers with adjustable stands on sale in stores and on the Internet, but I see people all the time on the commute using their iPad without a cover or with Apples IMO lousy cover. I've been approached by people on the train asking me about it.
    The only games that doesn't work good with a cover like mine is tilt only games.

I found a pic on a cover a bit like mine, only mine have more angle options.

http://imagedirectory.targus.com/im/?filename=THZ045US_MAIN.tif&width=800&height=800

I use my iPad 98% of the time for gaming, my iPhone very little now.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Since I bought my iPad my iPod Touch has turned into a regular ol' iPod, i.e. an MP3 player.

14. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    amen to all that...im glad im not alone!

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Don't really use my iPod touch at all and don't have an iPhone. That's not due to the iPad though, as I don't use that as much either for gaming other than the occasional time waster.

My gf likes it though...

I mostly game on my Vita, and every now on then on the 3DS.

Console gaming is spent on my PS3, haven't used my 360 since Gears of War 3.

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm 6'4" and have insanely high hips. It's a long reach for me to rest an iPad on my lap while sitting and actually use it. Also, my vision has gone from 20/40 12 or so years ago to 20/400. I literally can't read something that's on my lap, it's too far from my face. My reading vision is perfect though, so using my distance glasses to read a screen at that intermediary distance kills my eyes.

17. I personally don't like covers, they add a lot of weight, and often times interferes with some games in terms of screen orientation. Also playing tilt games with a cover on is no fun.

So I go bareback, no cover, but use an ihome tripod. Is it dangerous? Sure, if I drop my ipad, it sucks, but I bought that $99 two year apple plus warranty, so even if I drop it, it is only $50 to fix it.

The tripod is awesome though cause I can use a ton of different positions, and it looks really nice. A lot of people ask me about it.

I also put my ipad in a Targus sleeve, so it doesn't get scratched, and if dropped, it won't do a lot of damage.

Pretty much the same with my iphone, don't use a cover either.

So yeah, you're probably saying I'm living life on the edge with no protection for my ipad, but it just feels so good with no cover, and games play so much better.

18. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    :)
    I was mentioning the cover with stand, not mainly for protection, but more for the ease of use when playing games or surfing/reading without having to hold The iPad in my hand(s).

Example: I'm writing this on my iPad while it's resting on my lap, I'm laying on my couch and have free use of both my hands.

If I didn't have the stand, I would either have to sit up and place my iPad on a flat surface or hold it in one hand and only have one hand free to write.
    I could use the split feature of the keyboard and hold it in both my hands while writing, but it just don't come natural for me, I can't write like that.

The weight of the cover is of no importance to me, as I'm never have to actually hold it when I'm using it. That was the whole point of using a cover with a stand like mine...

19. #39 Connector, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, agree about getting the right angle for typing. I use my ihome tripod which has about 5 different level settings, and about at angle of 20 degrees or so is how I like to type.

I know a lot of covers have 2 settings, one for typing which is closer to flat, and one like a portrait in a frame.

Agree too that it is much more comfortable to have a stand or tripod to hold the ipad. If I sit at a desk, it is nice to have it free standing, and with that I like to use a stylus.

There is a new stylus that I got called Ampen new hybrid stylus which is a new stylus that has a fiber tip not a rubber tip. I have a couple different ones, but this fiber tip one is so much better than a rubber tip stylus, it doesn't drag at all, and is great too for games like shmups. It sells for $9 on Amazon.

Also, I bought one of those bed lap computer stands, kind of like a pillow with a hard top, and I put my tripod on it sometimes with my ipad on it when I'm in bed. It is handy, but more often, I put my Targus sleeve on my stomach, and rest my ipad on that.

The sleeve cover is nice to rest my ipad on since it feels nice on my body, and it keeps the hard edge away. I really like the combo of a sleeve with a tripod, but I could understand why some people would prefer a case with stand too.

And finally, I bought an Anker external battery off Amazon for around $60 which when I am using my tripod, I plug in the external battery, with it, I get about 14 hours with my ipad, which is enough even if I use my ipad all day, cause I hate having to be close to an electrical plug.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, I thought about buying a tripod when I purchased my first iPad, but the fact that it can only really stand on a flat surface, I opted for the case with stand instead.
    I want to be able to lay back on the couch and play with the iPad in my lap.
    I'm a very lazy person.. :D
    That being said, the tripod looks sexy. :)

I bought a pogo stick stylus a while ago, but I really have trouble with the thick tip, and I can't hold it naturally in my hand when drawing. Have to hold it almost exact vertical for it to work, and it's not comfortable at all.
    I might look up the stylus you mentioned.. :)