Gameloft

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Based Xatu, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im dancing right now. ;)

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Never doubt The Psience.

[​IMG]

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #63 Rip73, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    You didn't even pay for MC5.
    You made a point of bragging about it when it was on sale at some stage in some thread.

So not only did you get it for free but you got 15 bucks of free iap and a veteran account with lifetime no timers along with it.
    All for zero investment.
    If you got none of those things, then I question how you got the game in the first place or what methodology you used.
    Or whether you are actually telling the truth in the first place about not getting them.

What exactly do you think puts you in a position to bitch about its conversion now then?
    You are the very example of the very reason it had to go free now. Because people just wouldn't pay to download it.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3477926&postcount=22
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83849&d=1423886595

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3478656&postcount=25

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Post of 2015 so far. A laughable situation. People moaning when they get an app for free and then it goes free ! Funny

6. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    How gameloft dissappoints me big time...

i was one of those guys who paid for modern combat 5 in 6.99.. And it really does dissappoint me because i really was so hyped and i thought it will never end up being free to play and horribly full of in app purchases... I stopped playing the game after the next updates, the game lags like crap on my ipod touch nowadays.. I really loved gameloft ever since ive been playing on a silly nokia c3. But now it turned out to be bad. People wanted offline only platform but instead we all get free to play stuff in less than a year! Same goes to asphalt 8, order and chaos, shark dash and even gameloft. Im really dissappointed in you gameloft, now i will just sit down and get back to SAS zombie assault and fighting games like kof.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Merged your post with this thread. Don't need another Gameloft one. I'm not keen on freemium but companies need to make money. Look at your last few posts. Begging for Starbucks codes

Buy the games and devs make more money. if they don't make money then they may switch to freemium

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #68 Nekku, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    I bought it too on day one but dropped it because I wasnt very good at fps'ing on touch screens and because I was always dominated by oscar. Evertime he saws me he killed me instantly as when we were never friends before.
    I was like "hey buddy" and he was like "who the ffff are you?!" *headshot*
    I felt betrayed. But I got over it at some point in my life. Whenever I see his name around here, it still hurts a bit.

hint: metaphor inside (oscar is still real. Hi oscar!)

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Didn't they sell like a million of copies of CM5, and god knows how much they got from its IAPs. Didn't that alone compansate for all the work put into this game? Going free to play is perhaps just milking the game to its full potential. How do you know that's not the case?

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Why should we care though? It's a smart business decision to milk the game to its full potential, and they're doing it in a way that doesn't actually affect the people who bought it previously.

I wish people would discuss a game's actual problems, rather than stuff like this, because MC5 going free to play the way it did really isn't a problem as far as I can see. (I haven't actually seen the update yet, since it hasn't been released on android yet.)

My main question is if people who download the game for free now can upgrade to having the same experience as people who paid for it previously. In other words: is there an IAP that lets you buy the full game now, or are new players forced to abide by the dumb restrictions free to play games on mobile like to impose?

What I'd worry about most is how the series going free to play is going to affect the way the next Modern Combat game ends up being designed.... (although many of the things I didn't want them to do, such as short, pointless campaign missions were already part of MC5, so it can't get too much worse, can it?)

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

:D You got me there, and the post from Eli was gold!

Either way I'm not changing my opinion on things but I do realize there are reasons behind Freemuim changes, it's just that when they do happen they are usually aggressive such as Asphalt's $100 dollar virtual cars.

In honor I'll stop posting about it but I hope you don't see me as a troll...

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Because it affects the next MC installment and perhaps other coming Gameloft releases...

I just find it interesting how milking a game has always been frowned upon and now it's apparently considered "hey, they gotta do what they gotta do" by all people. I just like being on the other side questioning that.

13. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I don't get why people who paid for MC5 are complaining about today's update.

I paid for the game on day one but Gameloft have rewarded and been loyal to those who paid for the game by awarding them the Veteran badge and removing the energy bar which will greet new players who download the game as a free title.

Add in the extra content on top of the Veteran badge and its a fantastic gesture from Gameloft. The game plays identically to how it was before, I don't see any timers or forced IAP.

And now I get to use my controller too.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair play to you for your reply and taking it well

15. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    So,that was it with Modern Combat now.I waited with my purchase until MFI support will be added and now i got MFI support...and timers.Very unfair timers.
    Timers are coming right out of the gaming hell,just to point that out.They ruined this game (for?) now.Such a shame because it plays awesome with a controller and could be the best 1st person shooter on ios.

I'm not against the F2P business model if it's done right.And they are doing it right with Asphalt imo.Just because it has no timers (expect the TLE's but that's ok) alone.I even spend 5 bucks even if i didn't have to.Just to support.But what they've done to MC5 now makes it nearly unplayable for me.

Regarding Fishlabs:it is NOT Fishlab anymore.Koch Media bought it and made GoF f2p.ALL founders of Fishlabs left the company after they had to sell it.

16. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Bought MC5 when it came out and really enjoyed it for 2-3 months. Don't really care if it's gone free now because I've already seen pretty much everything there was to see in the game. This will allow more people to experience it and allow GL to keep the servers up for MP. Downloaded it today to play again for a bit and deleted it as I'm now playing Overkill 3 and really only have time for one shooter.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Finally, been waiting for a post like this. People have to accept that Gameloft is a company, a huge one, and revenue is always a part of their goals.

18. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    It's really funny to see how peoples opinions change just because they are not affected by a certain,bad,business model.

As i said,f2p doesn't need to be bad in general.But unfair timers destroys all fun completely.And that's what they've done to MC5.There is nothing to praise for implementing the worst and most greedy f2p model.

But i admit that the"veteran"status was a nice move for existing players.

19. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Opinions have changed because this is a first for a game when it's gone F2P.

Never before has a firm ensured their existing, paying customers have been accommodated and looked after. It's a fantastic way to handle the F2P move and one I hope other firms look at in future should they decide to go down the route of moving from premium to F2P.

Of course I'd rather in future that developers DIDN'T switch their titles from premium to F2P but in the case of MC5 and Gameloft this is the best I've seen it handled and in a way which existing buyers and users aren't affected.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #80 Vovin, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Because now people are bitching for bitching's sake!
    Let's take a look at the Appshopper data, and...

.. now look at that. It was even discounted to ONE buck for a whole week!

And if you take a close look at the discount history, and how it went, I doubt that GameLoft sold enough copies to call it a financial success. And the game still costs them money because the servers, maintenance and general care of the game neither come for free.

Sorry, but when people dismiss a game with such a production value and a ton of content even at ONE buck, I don't feel sorry for them - in fact, they deserve exactly the sh!t they provoked. This ONE effin' buck would have saved the people - who now whine and complain - from the complete IAP/timer "disaster". Yet it was cheapskating at its best and the following behaviour simple reeks of arrogance. Oh, and don't try telling me that missing MFI support is the heck of a reason to dismiss this game at a dollar. If people need to think that hard about spending a buck, they should reflect if they should really put a focus on gaming.
    Still a smart move by from GameLoft, how they rewarded the early adopters instead of punishing them.
    And I said it before and I will say it again: GameLoft is a company and not a charity organisation. No money = no development = no games. Simple as that.