Gameloft + Unreal Engine 3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BrainGame, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    To all the gameloft haters, let's be honest, would Nintendo or Blizzard really port The Legend of Zelda or Starcraft?

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That's the funny thing. Often times, people complain how Gameloft just rips off other games to profit. Ironically, this is, in fact, the truth about the creators of all the original games. They simply won't bring all the higher class console games because they know the opportunity cost between taking the time to make their game available on this iOS and working on a new console project is simply not worth it. Meanwhile, Gameloft is the only company in the iOS market that dares tread on large multi-billion company territory to bring us the gaming experience that the a large majority of iOS gamers want to see on the iDevice.

/haters

3. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Very, very well said, sir. :)

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    2 games in 2011.

That's 5 months each to develop (I'm so good at maths!)
    That sounds like a decent amount of time to spend on making the game decent.

I just hope it's a better Assassin's Creed like PSP one, or better.

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Gameloft's typical development time is actually twice that. According to Touchgen, they take on average between 10 and 12 months to make one game. And they have 4,000 + employees spread across different studios and that's how they manage to spew out so many games.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No, because they would be terrible on the iPhone, as Gameloft have now proven. Look at what sells, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump and Tiny Wings. That's the sort of game that works when you look at it logically, they play to all of the iPhone's strengths while games like NOVA struggle to fend off it's weaknesses.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure that's the case because the majority of the AppStore shoppers are trashy, cheap teenagers. When a Gameloft game goes on sale, it immediately shoots up into the top 100 even if it's Gameloft's crappiest game. Their more popular titles shoot instantly into the top 25. Try again with some better logic. Gameloft has shown us that these games work great on the iOS, not the other way around.

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Gameloft hasn't proven that such games would be terrible on the iPhone. For you maybe, but not for everyone. Sure casual games like Angry Birds, Doodle Jump and Tiny Wings sell well, but that doesn't mean that everyone enjoys them, nor does it mean that more advanced games can't work. Gameloft has proven to me that advanced 3D games can work well on the iPhone. Some of their best examples are NOVA 1 & 2, Modern Combat 1 & 2, Spiderman, GT Racing, StarFront etc, they all work very well for me and most of the time I'd rather play them than the simple 2D games which are so popular these days.