Gameloft is the only company that takes iGaming seriously

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    More like thrown at a wall head first.

2. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Well said. I would also like to add firemint as a great developer. Although they don't update with as much content as halfbrick they definitely fix bugs and increase performance

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    What about EA?

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Other companies want a greater return on their investment, something that they get from developing games for other platforms. iOS gamers are the ones who do not take iGaming seriously. If you want higher quality games, you must be willing to pay for them. True console quality games from console quality developers are going to cost you a console quality price, and that is just all their is to it. Major established multi-platform developers are not going to waste their time when the ceiling for the appstore's pricing structure sits at 9.99, but the vast majority of games range somewhere between .99c-4.99. Every other gaming platform in existance (serious gaming platforms anyway) have pricing structures that range between 29.99-59.99.

Gameloft is a mobile developer. They don't make console games. That's the difference. A developer who does make console games is going to consider the appstore to be a novelty at best. They are going to follow the money and the profit margins are simply not great enough when the prices around here are capped so low.

5. jeffmd

jeffmd Active Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I could say alot of things here, but the thread is a hate letter to iD software disguised as a praise.

6. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Bwahahahaha!

Are you serious? It's the same modern brown/ gray shooter, in a generic Mad Max setting, with iD's ugly arse artstyle we've been getting since Doom 3.

7. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Gameloft was great in the first game of every genre (Hero of Sparta, Modern Combat, etc), but every single game that follows afterwards is a complete clone of the previous. Therefore it probably has the highest quality but least originality and replayability in its games.

8. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Run-on sentences for the win!

9. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

uh, hello, gameloft? Have you thought about dusting your loft of old games? Prince of Persia crashes like ALL THE TIME! :mad:

10. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    dont forget capcom

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Strange, it never crashes for me. Perhaps it's because the game was updated for the retina display for the iPhone 4 (with twice the ram as iPT4) before the iPod Touch 4 was launched.
    Anyway, you have to give gameloft credit for the amount of games they updated with retina display support. Most developers don't bother to update their older games for retina display.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Get a 4th generation iPod.

13. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    Sorry

I skipped right to the end but.....

First I think mobile gaming will change into something bigger.
    Its 500% better than it was in 2008
    monkey ball was the few real mind blowing games... now its average.

I agree ID seems to only test the water but at the same time they don't charge 49.95 per game and the tests contribute a lot to the mobile gaming scene and push others to step up.

Lots of mobile gamers pretty much demand .99 cent games.
    That alone makes it hard to take mobile gaming serious.
    Granted some 9.99 games sell well but it is a gamble.
    I think larger companies have a hard time investing 400k into that gamble.

14. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    EA are even worse. They Never update there apps. FIFA10 is an example, had tons of bugs. Anotherthing about EA, if they release an app and people are complaining it has bugs, they just release a deluxe version and kick the original of the store (simcity).

I won't buy another EA game untill they take iOS gaming seriously.

15. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    #35 olliewollie, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
    Thanks. Was going to mention them. only thing is "HOW LOMG DOES
    IT TAKE TO SOLVE A BUG THAT IS EFFECTING 100'S OF PLAYERS. Fine the games are good and have regular updates but please fix the career wiping bug :(

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    They're getting better. FIFA 11 is getting an update to fix lag and other minor issues, NFS: Shift is getting retina support in an update, which I'm sure will be appreciated by 4th gen users.

17. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Yep. Aside from Modern Combat 2 and Spider-Man, very few Gameloft games have much personality or originality.

Lol. I'm not saying Rage is a great game. In fact, I'll probably delete it from my iPod the day Infinity Blade comes out. All I'm saying is that compared to Gameloft, id Software at least tries to be creative.

18. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Yea, it's most definetly that, the game usually crashes when there's the spinning orange loading sign, but still, gameloft had MONTHS to fix this.