iPad Gamelab Video Preview - Out in the app store now

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nachorevolution, Dec 25, 2008.

1. nachorevolution

nachorevolution Well-Known Member

#1 nachorevolution, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
    Hi Everybody,

My name is Nacho, Co-Creator of Gamelab (App Store Link). We just got on the app store today and we would love your opinion of our game. You can see a video preview on YouTube here, or you can download it to your computer here.

If you have any comments or questions you can email me here or call/text me on my iPhone, (Eight Oh One) 712-5177

Let me know what you think!

2. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Awesome idea!..
    But I hate buying AU$2.49 apps.. Can you give a list of near future games on there? Just to see what's going to happen and stuff.. Atm those games don't really appeal too much.. Thanks :)

3. CrispsInnOut

CrispsInnOut Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Hm. very interesting concept.

Lines looks quite entertaining, Blink seemed a bit icky to control. That bubble pop could be fun as well.

I don't have any issues with the price point.

4. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Giving out your number in a public forum. Brilliant customer service, or a nightmare in the making? Discuss...

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have issues with it, but only the fact that I hate spending the 2.49. I like getting 1.19 (that's TWO apps for 2.49) ones.. If the dev can convince me he's dedicated to bringing out heaps Of cool games for it, then I'm sold. I don't impulse on anything over a buck cos I'm cheap like that. The app seems to be worth the tiny amount it is and I am tempted to get it..

6. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    yeah I thought that too, especially after just receiving a spam/scan PM from a random on TA, I would probably take this down..

7. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    And to answer my own question, I’m going to say that the phone number thing is brilliant. Charming in an “I didn’t even know you weren’t supposed to do that” kind of way.

I’ve had my eye on this since it went on sale, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger based on this alone. Anyone who stands by their product enough to put their phone number out there deserves a few of my pennies.

8. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Hey man, just bought the app, it's pretty decent, i look forward to new games, you have come up with a revolutionary idea, and so far it's looking good.
    Keep the games as decent as this, and you'll have a massive hit.

9. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I noticed this game when it first hit the app store, but I wasn't sure if I should get it in case the devs weren't serious about updating it with new games. I'll wait a bit longer before buying it, but it looks to me like you're working on keeping it updated nicely :)

10. cama

cama Active Member

Nov 14, 2008
    do you need to have internet on your ipod to play the games?

11. Indy

Indy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Well, I think it looks great. Perfect pick up and play games. I would say I especially like the bubble popping one but all 3 look nice. ;)

12. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    It's a mistake and a sign of someone being naive. Remember the internet is not your friend.

13. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    #13 Freegoo, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
    Surprised the itunes link wasn't included. Oh well, here it is!

And just a guess, but "Oh Snap!" was added with the 1.0.1 update so I'm guess you don't need internet to get new games, just download them in updates.

14. nachorevolution

Thanks for the kind Responses!

Hi,

Ya, we are serious about bringing in new games. Just to give you a little taste of whats on the plate right now we are working on a game called Volunteer Fire Department (which is shaping up to be really fun!) and Thumb Olympics (also super fun). We have a lot of other games in the pipe, and we will start updating our website with plans as they come out.

As far as needing the internet, you don't all new games will come through updates so it will work for everyone.

We have gotten a lot of feedback from people who have bought the game and we are excited to implement some of the changes. The whole reason behind Gamelab was understanding that we wont be able to come up with all the brilliant ideas by ourselves, and that we need your help to get the best ideas to make the best games. Thanks!!

Let's also talk about my phone number. I ran a part-time ebay business for 2 years and nothing helped my sales more than putting my real phone number up there. In that time I have never had anyone abuse it. I think that speaks more to the decency of people than anything else, and I am more than happy to have anyone call me. Especially in this case for Gamelab I would love for you to call me and tell me what you think.

To those concerned about us being serious about updates let me make 2 points. First, Gamelab was originally released with 2 games, but because we were nearly finished with Oh Snap! we pulled it off the app store and waited for the update to get approved. So, Oh Snap! is the first additional game. Second, I want you to consider the economics. As we add new games we will raise the price. So if your on the fence, get it now! It's the cheapest it will ever be!!

Thanks for all your interest and comments. Also I would like to offer my gratitude for those who have bought Gamelab. In order for this experiment to work we will need all your help.

Again if you have any questions or concerns, my number is (eight oh one) 712-5177

Thank you,

Nacho

15. pope22

pope22 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I haven't purchased this app yet, so I may be mistaken, but I didn't notice any sort of leader boards, achievements, etc. I enjoy simple games, but it helps if there is some sort of reward or goal. LeaderBoards, achievements, unlockables and social features can make a very simple game highly addictive. I think of the 140 achievements in Smiles and the social aspect in Aurora Feint 2 that re-addicted me to the played out match-3 genre. I do intend to pick Gamelabs up later, so if I've made any misinformed comments then I'll be back to apologize later ^_^

p.s. hi TA Forums, first post from a frequent lurker

16. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Alright, this thread got me. I have bought the app because of this developers post. (his phone number)

And this app has a great idea behind it and a lot of potential. Plus, I can't pass up a good deal. If I know it will be raising the price, it would kill me if in the future there's a reason I really want this app, knowing I could have saved money if I would have just got it earlier.
    On the other hand, it's really only $2. So what do I have to lose. Not much.

17. cama

cama Active Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Bought it and it seems great so far, cant wait for the new games every month. Nice one

18. nachorevolution

Your right, there are no achivements or online leaderboard... yet.

This is one of the things we are working on now. If you know any good network developers with iPhone experience can you give him/her my number?

Thanks!

19. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    This sounds perfect for you!

http://demiforce.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-can-save-appstore.html

It's called onyx online. That article is by Steve Demeter (Trism developer)

He is putting this thing together. Read about it. There is also some powerpoint slides and what note on his website.

Anyways, check it out. Free online scores and achievements and whatnot for your apps. It's not currently out yet, but they are adding in early developers and it will be released soon.

20. nachorevolution

Thanks, that is also one of the options we have been looking at!