Gamebook Adventures 4: Revenant Rising

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TheTinMan, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    I mean this with as much respect as possible, but I do not like what I see of the new art direction. I hope this is a one-off tied to the theme of this particular book, and we'll see the return of a more realistic art style with book five. Either way, still looking forward to this book, and if it turns out that I like the rest of the art, I will man up and post a retraction.

2. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    When I saw the sale I was hoping it meant GA4 was released... Guess I'll have to wait a few more days...

3. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

It's no problem that you prefer one art style over another - we can't please everyone all of the time! We want each gamebook to have their own personality, so like to mix the art up a bit for each. You'll be pleased to know both Pirkka Harvala and Dan Maxwell from GA1 and GA2 respectively make a return for GA5 and GA6. Anyway I hope you enjoy GA4. Thanks for your support. :)

4. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Awesome! Again, no disrespect intended to Kyle's work; it just doesn't match my "view" of fantasy art. My only concern was a permanent shift of art direction. If each book will have a different art style, then the more the merrier. :)

5. TheTinMan

That's cool man. It's always interesting to hear our reader's opinions as it helps us in the future decide on artistic directions to take. One of our beta testers went nuts over Kyle's artwork, absolutely loving it, so it's good to see the variation on tastes.

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

"We'll be submitting the gamebook by the end of October, so should be available to buy early November! "
    We are near the end of november now, any news?

7. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    I think it was submitted already... Hope apple didn't reject it!

Any news Tin Man?

8. TheTinMan

Hi all. Sorry for the radio silence. We've been head's down involved with our iPad development these last couple of weeks as well as doing some filming for some promotional vids.

The latest news is that we've decided to hold off from releasing GA4 until December for a number of reasons which we've detailed on our blog (link in my sig). Hope that doesn't disappoint too many of you. As a small indie we have to carefully balance our game releases as resources are tight. This means trying to release as much in one go as possible - in this case GA4 and Universal iPad updates for all 4 gamebooks.

We're looking to submit the Universal versions next week so will update you as soon as we know more!

The Tin Man

9. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    Holy Crap! That's a disappointment... I understand the commercial decision and you're probably right to hold off until everything is ready. Quality is one of your biggest strengh and the difference between the release of the first volume and the third showed a great deal of improvement in the ironing process.

I'd rather have this kind of quality and let you cut on PR stuff, hell I got enough to read for a lifetime anyway.

I'm extremely excited about the change in combat system. In fact, that's what I was waiting for to read all the books all over again and try to unlock all the different paths.

Good luck on the ipad versions, I hope to have on of thoses babies next year, will the saves be transferable?

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #30 medianotzu, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    Yeah, I am a bit disappointed we will have to wait also, but if it means the release will be in a better state at the time it comes out then I will take that 10 times out of 10 over having a rushed release. Also, in your case it might make sense to release the episode during the holiday season.

Oh, and as for the discussion re: art, I think my favorite work was that in Slaves of Rema, but I'm happy to see the art changed up from one to the next. It gives each one a fresh identity in that way.

Edit: Just read the blog and yeah, I can see how delaying the release makes sense. Also, I'm interested in the change in battle mechanics. I don't personally have any objections to the way they are now, but I also can't think of any reason not to change it. I think it will be a positive change. It's great to see how you guys are constantly listening to feedback and implementing changes to make the series (even the older releases) better. Excellent work, and a prime example of why this is the best gamebook series on iOS.

11. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008

Wowz! Great news!

12. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    the Tin Man blog has been updated with a very interesting article on developing games for IOS devices and extending the market.

http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/

BUt the most important piece of info is that the apps (GA4 & univers updates of the previous ones) have been submitted to Apple!

And there is a gorgeous pic of the cover of GA4 on an ipad that just makes me want to buy an ipad, right now.

13. TheTinMan

14. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
  15. Should be out today/tomorrow! Can't wait!

16. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    Yep, it has begun! New Zealanders and Australians can get it now, should be available very soon in the other regions as the day rolls on :)

Cheers!
    -B

17. *Wishes I lived in NZ and had much more moolah*