iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Ahhh that's the one I missed in my first almost good playthrough! Where the hell is this dagger?

2. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Ehrlich is very important is all i'll say. ;)

3. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    #123 tomedo, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    There is an interview with the artist posted on the Tin Man website:

http://www.tinmangames.com.au/?page_id=512

I really like the art and was surprised to hear that all of it was done completely digitally.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Won a promo code yesterday and tried this game which was in my 'to buy' list (was waiting to clear some backlog first).
    First I would like to thank TinManGames for the opportunity, I do it here because for some reason I'm not allowed to direct message TinManGames in Twitter.

Having already played adn completed the Fighiting Fantasy first game and loving the genre, I had great expectations from Gamebook Adventures.
    I'm still early in the game, but so far it seems really really great.
    I could write what I prefer on this title or in the other (I've no doubt that genre fan will buy both and subsequent titles) but I would like to focus in what is the biggest and more important thing that really imho stand out in An Assasin in Orlandes.

THE STORY.

It's not the normal dungeon crawl...go there and wipe everything till you find the exit with some puzzle in the middle and almost every page separated from the rest...
    I must confess I was really sucked in the story and felt compelled to play it, explore the world, find clues....I do not know how to say better than this...it seems more an adventure game/RPG than a 'mere' gamebook adventure.
    To me, this is a great accomplishment.

I really urge everyone barely interested in the genre to buy it; you won't be disappointed.

Nice touch: the various achievements.

The only thing I'm not really liking (still deciding on the combat system sometimes it's instantaneous victory/defeat, somethimes it take AGES) is the menu screen....for two reasons.

1) The graphics are not that well integrated in the gamebook graphics...I would have preferred something more 'bookish'.
    2) While the whole game is vertical, the menu screen is orizzontal...seems a bit convoluted and awkard to me (I know movies are orizzontal).

As soon as I'm able to play more, I'll review it in the app store....highly raccomended though.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I just won a copy of Gamebook Adventures part of the BestAppEver Awards Worlds Largest Promo Code Contest: http://bit.ly/cQpGkP

Yay! :D Thank you for the promo code!

6. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    First - thank you for the code, just left a review. I am really impressed with the Gamebook. The graphics and user interface are really superb. I like that the fonts can be changed, though I haven't had the need to do so. The map is great - looks like I still have a lot more to discover, and I'm having a blast so far, so this is great news!

Of course, that's just dressing... The story itself is great. Well thought out, and certainly makes you want to learn what's going to happen on the next pages. I do feel like a kid again, getting to choose my own path in the gamebook. And dying, several times so far, in this one...even so, I've gone down different paths, and each one has been fun to explore.

The battle system is something I didn't have as a kid with physical books, so it's new to me - and I'm curious to see how it plays out as I get deeper in the book.

I'd definitely say - if you're interested in gamebooks, check it out.

7. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Awesome. The storyline is great and the interface is perfect.

8. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Indeed. I've sunk a good two hours at least into this so far, quality all the way. I do agree that the landscape menu is rather annoying in an otherwise portrait game, definitely something to consider changing in the second installment. I had been leery about the five
    dollar price point, but I can see that this truly is a labor of love, and while I think it might do better at a lower price point, I intend to get the upcoming installment no matter what you decide to charge for them.

9. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I just got a promo code too and I got hooked into this game. I am so absolutely amazed at how good it is and I was thinking the same thing about how I plan to buy the next installment even if it they're charging $5 because I feel like the quality of the game warrants the high price tag. I can't stop playing and it is absolutely amazing!

10. konaha

konaha New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    not sure can it be done, but during dice battle, would love it if the screen is split into 2 for simultaneous attack and defend, the idea of the quick dice is nice but the feel is lacking without seeing some dice animation. And dice battles usually are long too which make it a minus side when you are rolling 4 dices to attack and the opponent is using 4 to defend.

11. TheTinMan

We can't split the screen into 2 for attack and defends as things are laid out at the moment. Potentially something to keep in mind for the future though.

As for long battles, keep your eyes peeled for a new update arriving in the next week. We've changed the use of fitness in battles to speed things up a lot!

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I would love to have the dice just briefly drop in quick mode, or at least appear on the table as if they landed there - I'm torn between taking the time to roll the dice and putting up with just the little dice representations at the bottom. (i.e. I wanna see "real" dice, but don't always want to spend as much time as the regular dice roll takes...)

13. TheTinMan

1.3 update now available

Hi Gamebook Adventures fans,

Just to let you know an update for Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes is now available!

The biggest change is the battle system. Using you Fitness during battle now makes a big difference. If you succeed the Fitness Roll on an attack then you get a +1 on your highest dice roll now. This means you can use your greater agility to kill a foe quicker! A successful fitness roll followed by a highest roll of 6 in battle is always an instant hit.

There is a downside though. If you fail your fitness then you will fumble and receive a -1 penalty on your highest roll. Added to this, whenever you use your Fitness your FIT value will decrease by 1 meaning that further Fitness Checks during that battle will be harder to succeed. Don’t worry though, after the fight your FIT value will return to normal as it is assumed you will have a small rest to catch your breath!

14. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Awesome. I'll definitely give it another playthrough or two now. Any word on progress on the second book?

15. TheTinMan

We'll be entering a first round of testing next week.

16. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Awesome. I havn't checked in on this in a while, but I'm looking forward to that.

And I can't get the update lol. I'm still playing the beta build :D.

17. TheTinMan

Wow that beta build is quite old now. I can't remember whether you were US based or not Somerandomdude? If you are I can get a promo code out to you if you'd like so you can play the latest version. Let me know.

18. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    If you need testers I'd love to help! :)

19. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'll see how my schedule is beta-wise. I'll be testing Zenonia 2 then, but if I have nothing else at the time, I'd be glad to help.

20. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    OK, I paid the full $4.99 for this game, and I may actually play it now that the combat system has been refined. Please don't put this game on sale tomorrow, as I have already bought far too many games at full price, only to see the game go on sale immediately afterwards. What attracted me to the game was the art design and the fact that I always loved choose your own adventure style books growing up. I also purchased the Warlock of Firetop Mountain, but I have not even had time to look at it, and apparently it is still somewhat buggy. I would rather pay $4.99 for a game with superior artwork and writing and game mechanics, than another gamebook for $1.99 with inferior UI and art and writing.

Congratulations on your achievements so far, and good luck in continuing to expand and improve this type of gamebook.