iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    #81 tomedo, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    I liked how after my first playthrough I checked the achievements section and realized how much stuff there is still left. Art gallery was showing mayby 1/4 of the art etc. Really makes you want to replay the game that much more.

2. aricall

aricall Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Tattooist
    Really great game and story. alot of fun to read through to discover all the endings.....nicely polished. well worth the price. if you havent pick this one up you should.

3. ChocoboLee

ChocoboLee Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I think I'm running into the same problem. An item is taken away from me and I don't get it back. And it seems like a critical item that prevents me from winning. I've played the game many many times and cannot seem to get past it without this item. I know that a fix has been submitted, but is there a workaround right now?

4. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Hi ChocoboLee. It's looking like you're best off waiting until the update is released I'm afraid. Sorry about that.

5. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    the update is out:
    What's new

- A few book links fixed that were causing problems
    - Bug fixed that prevented some readers from finishing the adventure
    - "Skip intro" added to options menu
    - Can now play your own music
    - Map bug fixed

6. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    awesome, time for another playthrough !

7. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    excellent job at getting the update out so quick!

sadly im still getting the restart bug if i poke around the main menu while halfway thru the story :(

8. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    Hey AcidBottle,

Hmm that is odd. I will PM you to get some details on your system, and we can sort this out.

Cheers!
    -B

9. kei00

kei00 Member

Feb 9, 2010

I am still encountering this problem. :(
    Anyone who bought the game using OS 2.2.1?

10. TheTinMan

You're not the only one kei00. We've had a couple of other users contact us about this. It only seems to be affecting that old OS but doing everything we can to get it sorted.

11. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    Hey Kei,

I finally figured this one out (just now, like 10 minutes ago, it was a hard one to find) It has to do with the way that 2.2.1 handles subview transformations (not the same way as 3.x it turns out :) ).

Anyhow, Apple is pushing very hard for us devs to drop support for 2.2.1, so it is very difficult to get devices back to 2.2.1 to test and just as hard to even get the simulator running in 2.2.1. I finally had to reboot my dev machine to an old backup of os 10.5 and run an old copy of xcode just to be able to run the simulator. Only after all that was I finally able to get the bug to recreate (and finally fix it).

It will be in the next update, which will be very shortly available (I just need to track down one more bug)

I originally wanted to try and fix the inventory bug in the 1.1 release, but it was taking too long to track it down so we pushed out the fixes we had. Sorry about that! In any case, I am confident that we have sorted it out now. Thanks for your patience!

In any case, we are trying to keep support for 2.2.1 for as long as it is feasible for our little company. We have a pretty strict process in place to make sure that we don't link in any code that is not 2.2.1 compatible, but when little quirks like this one hit us (where the same commands behave drastically differently in the 2 OSs), then we get bugs that are very hard to find.

Cheers!
    -Ben

12. kei00

kei00 Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Thank you so much Developers!
    Really looking forward to the next update! :)

13. BigDrahma

BigDrahma Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you for doing iPod music! I'll definitely be playing this game on my commute! :)

14. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    TinMan delivers, thanks for the update! I haven't had problems but playing own music while playing will be sweet.

15. chainsawash

chainsawash Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Great game. I prefer the more narrative approach (similar to MyQuest) of this to the dungeon crawling of Fighting Fantasy (which is cool, too.) This format is especially effective on the iPhone, since you don't need to map everything out.

I'm not sure I like the combat system though. Conceptually, it doesn't work for me. The number of dice you roll seems completely dependent on the quality of your weapon/armor. So if I have an awesome sword, I am an awesome fighter. There is no gauge of skill. Also, it seems the more dice each combatant rolls, the higher chance of a tie. I was fighting an opponent using 4 combat dice vs 4 defense dice. Since only the highest die result matters, we seemed to tie more often than not and the battle went on for a while with neither of us landing a hit. I can actually see this work in a martial arts setting, where I visualize combat as a flurry of blocks and dodges, with the occasional lucky blow. For gritty fantasy though the FF system works much better.

Still, this is a must buy for fans of the genre and I look forward to future volumes. Also psyched we can listen to our own music now, I've already got the soundtrack to Dragon Age queued up.

16. TheTinMan

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're enjoying it! :)

Regarding combat we are constantly looking to revise the system so your comments are really useful and has been mentioned by a few other players. One of the thoughts currently is to change the "Fitness roll" during a battle by giving you a +1 to your attack rolls if you are successful (it currently just doubles you damage). By doing this you can tactically use your fitness to get an edge on your opponent meaning that even if you both roll 6's, your +1 will ensure a hit as you will have a value of 7. This should lessen the chance of ties and perhaps speed up some of the bigger battles.

17. BigDrahma

BigDrahma Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 8, 2009
    The easiest change is simply to total your dice rolls instead of using the highest number. That's what I thought was happening at first (yeah, I jumped in without reading the rules first). This keeps the chances of a tie low (instead of increasingly more likely) as you add dice.

Another change would be to keep the system the same, but use 10-sided dice. VIT stats woul have to be upped by 40% to compensate but otherwise, it'd effectively reduce the opportunity for ties by 40% across the board.

18. chainsawash

chainsawash Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Not a bad idea. Currently, using fitness during combat is not very useful. This is mostly because you have to choose to make a fitness roll before your attack/defense roll. So regardless of the success of the fitness check, if you don't hit/dodge then it didn't matter anyway and because of the 4 pt fitness loss a second attempt is probably not worth it (especially with a nasty penalty for failure.) The idea of adding to attack rolls makes more sense. You are using skill to try and improve your chances of landing a blow, which is what you want. Then let the quality of your weapon do the damage. I'd even suggest reducing the fitness cost of each attempt, helping smooth out the 'I'm only as good as my equipment' issue.

19. AfterImage1

AfterImage1 Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Fun game. I look forward to more gamebooks from Tin Man games. A few comments (playing 1.1 version of game on 3.13 OS)

Possible bugs:

When turning to page 435, the fight icon is grayed out and the victory icon is selectable. Essentially you win the fight on that page without fighting.

On page 300, the link to page 467 is grayed out even though I am carrying the item required. I am not sure if the failure here is that the item is not identifed. (However, I was not given an option to identify this item among others at an earlier point in the game)

20. TheTinMan

This is indeed a small bug - thanks for bringing it to our attention! :) It will be fixed in version 1.2.

The item you speak of (which we can't discuss in danger of revealing too much ;)) does indeed need to be identified earlier in the story to open up that link. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.