iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA

No... no.. So you are saying you would buy a crap .99 game, instead of actually paying for a quality game?

2. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Id say get GA first, FF later if you want more. GA is more feature rich and story is not as generic fantasy as FF. That's not to say FF is bad, its a classic (as a gamebook) but app implementation is a bit basic.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Of course the only correct answer is that if you like adventure gamebooks and would like to see more of them, you really should buy both, thus showing some support (and providing some funds) for future development of similar titles!

4. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I like it (at least many years ago :)) so now i want to try and refresh my memories.

5. madam_octa

madam_octa Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Buy GA first, it's a little bit easier than FF. If you like it then get FF.
    I'm almost finished, missing 3 achievements and 2 pictures. Great gamebook, can't wait for the next title in the GA series

6. Gestalt

Gestalt New Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Is there a bug in this game? I mean, I get a certain item and then that item is not available to me later on. And its just this item; all my other items are there. Is it supposed to be this way? Otherwise, it's preventing me from going down the path I would like to go down. OK, of course, I don't want to say too much, but I don't want to torture myself further if this is just a bug.

7. gunslinger

Dec 21, 2008
    Thanx, bought it already :)

8. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    Hey Gestalt,

I just PMed you, but I will post here too for anyone else. Feel free to email me directly if you have any problems or questions or bugs :)

[email protected]

Cheers!
    -B

9. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Okay without giving away too much of the plot, we've investigated this and there is indeed a slight problem with a few logic links late on in the book. It is possible to find a way around this during the adventure so it won't be a complete game-breaker for a lot of readers though. This has just been fixed and we will update the game tomorrow. Hint: If you are reading currently make sure you use a bookmark on entering the Castillo.

Well spotted Gestalt - I have sent you a personal email.

10. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    #70 tomedo, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten the "ultimate ending" achievement?

So far I've only been able to get few bad endings, though I think I have an idea whats required for the ultimate one...

11. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I still haven't get a "good" ending, there's always an item i'm missing after i kill the villain at the end...

Great adventure though. I'll try again after the update to be sure i'm not wasting any bookmark on a new game.

12. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You have a lot of $.99 games that are far better than this title. If you consider all $.99 games as crap the you are missing a lot.

And from what I read this game has bugs so it needs some update.

Now it's up to the developers to decide whether nor not their business model fits the itunes store but I guess they should try put the price to $.99 one day and compare the profit with past days.

13. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU

For anyone who doesnt have the game yet, there are 78 different 'endings' most of which end in death or some other 'non-ultimate' outcome. There is also a 'Defeatist' achievement to find all of the endings in the book. So even if you don't get to the ultimate ending, you are still working towards one of the achievements :)

Cheers!
    -B

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Look this game is the same price as space ore bust that is REALLY a game of exception. Those guys understood how things work in not pushing their game price up to some $6.99 or more, they put the right price and are earning a lot of money :)

15. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I guess pricing also goes with the public to which you're aiming. Gamebooks will probably appeal to older gamers who have enough money to pay a fair price for a fair game, while most student will get their fix with cheaper shooters...

16. gunslinger

Dec 21, 2008
    Well, its pricey but its so different. Its all about imagination and luck, like 1000 pieces puzzle. Are you ready for the pure old-school gaming experience? Nonlinear is a nature of the gamebooks. Many situations and you are the only one who is in charge of you destiny. Its not an action game, easy to pickup and relaxing, no slashing/jumping and etc.

17. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yes I know it's a relaxing game that's why I'm interested in.

Could someone tell me how many hours of gameplay it is ?

Thus I still think it's too expensive and I'm not a student ;)

18. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Give peace a chance

Everyone has a different value on price. Going back and forth with cheap little remarks or comments isn't going to change anything. It really doesn't matter how you argue it. If someone doesn't see value in the price they won't spend their money (which is their right to do). This is true to anything and not restricted to the App Store. Lets move on guys.

Back on topic I just wanted to give a shout out to the developers regarding the achievements. I really like how they are implimented. Not only can I go back and look at the different art pieces I've stumbled upon, but it gives me a sense of accomplishment and appeals to my "collecting" nature. I also like the more traditional "goal" achievements (I've only unlocked one for the moment). Of course (I know, I know, I've said it before) it would be perfect if OpenFeint was linked to those achievements. :D

Anyway, nice touch.

19. TheTinMan

Thanks venasque - well said. I've posted my thoughts on our pricing before in another thread so I won't go over old ground. All I will add is that this a book - newly written, with new artwork and not a re-print. If we were to print this in paperback it would be a substantial size and would cost you more to buy in a bookshop. Then take into account that we have sprinkled in things like the physics dice rolling, music, achievements and other bits and I think it shows the value.

Glad you're loving the achievements. Thanks for your support! We hope to build on these in coming gamebooks too and will investigate the OpenFeint route. If anyone has any other thoughts on this then do please let us know.

20. TheTinMan

Update submitted

Hi Gamebook Adventures fans,

Just to let you know we have submitted an update for An Assassin in Orlandes which fixes a lot of the small issues that have been mentioned in this thread. Hopefully they have not ruined your experience of the gamebook so far.

Thanks to all those who have supported us on this thread!

The Tin Man