iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Stigmeyer

Stigmeyer Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Bought it a few hours ago and have only had a few mintues to play sadly, but even from those few short minutes one can tell that a LOT of love has been put into this release. I have loved gamebooks for going on 20 years now and Fighting Fantasy on the iPhone was a mindblowing experience, but with this release the bar has been raised. Everything is slick and gorgeous and the music is terrific as well (something I wish FF had more of). Anyway, congrats on an awesome game! Keep 'em coming!!

2. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU

Thanks Vagrant! No worries about retrying it, enjoy the story! You have been a great help, and we will get this bug fixed for the next bug release.

Cheers!
    -Ben

3. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    #43 tomedo, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Art is really great and the story is interesting. Lots of options and paths. Definitely recommended.

One thing devs might consider for the next one is the orientation of the main menu, it looks good now but it would be more user friendly if it was the same way as the book pages. Minor thing considering how much I like the app. :)

4. BigDrahma

BigDrahma Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 8, 2009
    I love the look of the game, but could you make it so i can keep my iPod music going while I play? I guess that means the stinger/opening movie would have to be set to be skipped automatically every time, etc. It's just that, on my commute every day (mass transit ftw) I like to play games while listening to podcasts. Because of this, I tend to skip games that can't let me do this...

Otherwise, it looks really cool!

5. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Good spot. Sounds like we've got a slight issue with the logic links on that page that's crept under the testing radar. We'll fix this in the next update. Sorry about that vagrant!

6. TheTinMan

We've addressed the orientation of the menu screen for our second book so it's a little easier. :)

7. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    hey there again.

i attempted to recreate the bug that was restarting the gamebook and succeeded. if, at anytime during the adventure, i goto the main menu and instantly click back to the storybook i continue where i left off. should i go elsewhere on the menu, for example achievements, then click back to the story i am back at the begining. this also happened when i went to the options screen.

im using an iphone 3G running OS 3.21.

hope that helps!

8. TheTinMan

We hear ya! As I mentioned earlier we're uber-keen to do this and it's on our long-term roadmap for Gamebook Adventures. :)

9. TheTinMan

Glad you're enjoying it even without your music playing! We'll be adding a little "ignore intro" option just for you in the next update. :)

10. Hackmodford

Hackmodford Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    This was an instant buy for me! Been waiting a month to try this. Ever since I played lonewolf DS I've been intrigued by these types of games. Fighting Fantasy didn't quite have the polish that the homebrew lonewolf on the DS did. Here's hoping this will fill the gap!

One of the dev's comments regarding someone elses comment regarding how he'd rather read a book or play a game stated that This was written during a time when graphics were much harder to create and then said that these types of games fillled the gap, what with the rise of ebooks.

I'd like to add you could say the same thing about text adventures ;) Which I've just discovered with Frotz

Ughh... I've only got a cellphone Internet Connection Tethered to my laptop with no EVDO so this will take 40 minutes to download...

11. kei00

kei00 Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Hi, I have just purchased the game today. I was able to start the game fine but when I was in the story and tried to access my inventory by tapping the bottom bar, I go to a black screen. I tried many times but with the same result. The only way I can get out of the black screen was to press the iphone home button to exit the game. I deleted and reinstalled the game but it didn't help. I basically cannot access my inventory.

Can anyone help me on this? Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: I am using iphone 2G and OS 2.2.1

12. benbritten

benbritten Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Technical Director for Mighty Games
    Melbourne, AU
    Hi Kei00,

I am looking into the possible reasons for this now. When you hit the status bar at the bottom of the screen, does the black screen slide up and cover the page, or does it just turn black instantly?

I may have more questions for you (depending on the answers to the above). If you want to email me directly: [email protected] I will get it worked out.

Cheers!
    -B

13. kei00

kei00 Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Thanks Ben, I have sent you email.

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Hi Guys,

I'm sure a lot of you will complain, but I find the price for this game too expensive. $4.99 for a game that just provides you with a book and dice animation. It would have been $2.99 it has been instant buy.

I'm part of this kind of game lover but really with all the games available for cheaper price in the itunes store with better quality I'm not sure it's the best way to sell this game.

15. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    ahh there he is, took 6 pages to appear tho! ;)

16. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Oh nice! TouchArcade front page has an article about the Assassin in Orlandes and the first Fighting Fantasy app.

17. madam_octa

madam_octa Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009

Conan do you realize that they made everything from scratch? They put so much effort into this that I think they deserve even more than 4.99$

18. tomedo

tomedo Member

Feb 8, 2010
    This one also has features that are not in Fighting Fantasy app, like unlockable art gallery, achievements and a history section. So there are things to justify higher price point. Of course every gamebook fan should get both.

19. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Is GA much better than FF or should i buy both?

20. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I knew you would complain and throw rotten tomatoes at my frenchie face ;)

Guys, there are so many games around that keep us busy so iphone market is hard and if you need to make a choice between two games, then price is the key to selct the one you will buy.

Anyway for me the price is too expensive and I won't buy it until price decrease.