iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Options --> Start Book Over

(this will keep your achievements)

2. TheTinMan

Actually I've just realised that what you're trying to do is remove a bookmark so you can use it later on. There isn't currently a way to do this unfortunately.

We're considering making this a feature of "cheat mode" in the future.

3. andondn

andondn Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Itching for one of those promo codes, I'd love to try this out. I've been eyeing it and the sequel for a while now!

4. TheTinMan

Htttwj7e696j
    x6rxjkrf44wp

5. andondn

andondn Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Used Htttwj7e696j

Thanks much, I'll be sure to write a great review. I know it's a good game!

6. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Actually, this is what I was trying to do. I don't mind that I lose the bookmarks or whatever. I just want to be able to place new bookmarks because I was really scared on my first playthrough and used up my 3 bookmarks rather quickly. Yeah, that would definitely be a good option for cheat mode in the future though. ;)

7. TheTinMan

The reason for the 3 bookmarks is really to minimise cheating and not to make it too easy. However it is something we are looking into as a few people are finding only 3 bookmarks and the inability to change them a bit too hardcore. Difficulty levels are always a delicate balancing act.

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This is something I like about these books, as with the FF ones you can just simply go back a page at any time. I don't like to cheat, but darned if I can keep myself from doing it. :eek:

There is a really obvious way to cheat the fights in these gamebooks too, but I won't bother mentioning it, (as it is so obvious) and also I really don't see any reason to change it.

9. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I am happy with the overall system and I think three bookmarks is just the right amount. Now that I got the hang of the gamebook series, I won't be so antsy to place bookmarks down.

Also, is the third book really coming out in July!? :)

10. TheTinMan

I'm glad you've got your head around the bookmark system. Sounds like you're using it as we intended. :)

Yes, Gamebook Adventures 3: Slaves of Rema will be out sometime in July. :)

11. TheTinMan

Xl7fw33tkkhj
    txlheekx7yn9

12. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for the code I took txlheekx7yn9! I'll be sure to leave a review :)

13. TheTinMan

Lots of codes! Remember please only use if you are really interested in playing the game.

LHPWNL74ERX9
    4MEA47KELKKA
    39K3Y67AWRAK
    PEL4LAYTWTJM
    EJFFJML9N3JP

The Tin Man

14. artfulkurosawa

artfulkurosawa New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi guys first post!

Registered to say I'm taking PEL4LAYTWTJM, haha. I've got both Gamebook Adventures titles in my iTunes wishlist and the only reason I haven't just gone and bought them yet is because of my monstrous gaming backlog. Couldn't pass up a freebie though, and I'll definitely be buying the second game!

15. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Hey.

i took 4MEA47KELKKA

thanks! :rolleyes:

16. avanizh2000

avanizh2000 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I grabbed EJFFJML9N3JP.

This is my first post too... always been a huge fan of gamebook adventures.. haven't played any this century though..lol

17. TheTinMan

J44XPM4MX3TW
    WRAX76F99EEL
    TTHJH9H6LPLP
    6KW3PY4JEKN9
    NW6W7XT3EXT4

Here's 5 more. Remember please only use if you're really interested in the gamebook!

18. kLy

kLy New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Ok, at the castle and like many before me, tried to exhaust all the options from there only to find out I need a particular silver dagger to be able to end the game.

(long rant ahead)

Now, I had actually come across this silver dagger at some point by randomly choosing one direction over another at some intersection. Subsequently I died and decided to take another path from my previous bookmark, one in which I didn't come across this dagger. There was nothing particularly remarkable about this dagger when I got it the previous time so I decided I didn't miss much.

Until I got to the very end that is.

Now I'm all for hardcore, but this need for Ehrlich seems extremely narrow minded, and if I may say so, really crappily designed.

Games these days are very forgiving, almost overly so. As such, I'm all for something refreshingly unforgiving which gives me the proper consequences to my actions. If I at some point made a crappy decision early on in the game only to find at the very end of the game that I screwed up, well it totally sucks, but I'll buy it. However, if at some point in the game I make the random decision to turn left or go straight instead of turning right, only to find out at the end of the game that I won't be able to finish it, that is completely absurd, since there was nothing offered to give any kind of meaning to the decision of turning left or right: it's completely random.

If there was *any* other way to correct this "mistake" later, such as learning a piece of information or getting some other item, that would be more than sufficient. But there appears to be *no* other way to get the proper ending other than just randomly taking that correct turn at the correct time in the game.

Now, if the argument is, "hey, we're gonna make this über hardcore to get to the *perfect* ending", even that's okay. I'll buy that. However, there obviously aren't multiple endings in this game, with one being the perfect one. *Every* other ending in the game is just a terse 1-2 sentence thing that says "You died. The End." or "You live, but spend the rest of your life living in self-loathing and torment. The End." These obviously aren't endings, they're game over messages.

So basically AFAICT, you need to make one random correct choice at some point in the game, without which you cannot finish the game. Not to get an über powerful item few players should get access to, or some bit of obscure lore that the really dedicated would hunt for, but something needed in order not to get a game over at the very end of the game without any kind of indication that you took a wrong turn at any point before that.

Now I've played plenty of games as well as gamebooks, but this is just pure BS. I am sorry if I've missed some other alternative of getting to the end (and I quite easily may have), but as it stands, someone please give me my time and money back.

19. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks for NW6W7XT3EXT4

Not sure how this stayed unused for 5 days, but I guess it's my lucky day. I've been waiting to try this game for a while

20. TheTinMan

Hi there kLy. Thanks for your feedback. I think it's safe to say you were not too impressed with GA1 but I like it when people give reasons for their dislikes (even if quite heavy-handed). It's far better to have that than a simple negative comment and no explanation on why they disliked it.

The critical game mechanic you are mentioning is quite contentious, even with people who have come back to us and said they loved the gamebook. I would say however that most people that came upon that issue said it didn't really matter in the end because it gave them an opportunity to further explore the gamebook, unlocking new achievements and new illustrations. Some people have even reached one of the negative endings and been happy with that as they ultimately knew what was required.

It's obvious from your post you're the sort of person that that wants to properly finish a game and dislikes feeling like they were cheated on during the experience. In that respect we failed you and I am sorry you felt so frustrated. I do hope that the overall experience of the gamebook and the way it was written and presented is a least something you did enjoy. Maybe have a breather and return to it again in a few weeks.

Regarding the game mechanic itself, it is something we were mindful of with the design of GA2. The second gamebook can actually be completed a number of ways.