iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #201 tblrsa, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    I think i've spotted a bug. At my first game, i did use 2 bookmarks until i decided to start a new game with a different char name. Now the game doesnt save the position of my second game (nor does it save any new bookmarks), instead it always loads up the saved bookmark of my first game. I fear only reinstalling will resolve this issue.

2. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #202 tblrsa, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    Edit:

I've been able to fix it by restarting the gamebook in the options menu, leaving the game at the new char creation screen and restarting it. I´ve also been able to reproduce the bug. It would be nice to have it fixed in an update. :)

To reproduce try the following:

1. Start a char and set a bookmark somewhere in the story
    2. Now venture into the options menu and request to restart the gamebook
    3. Without exiting the game first, create a new char and play a bit. You will notice that it won´t save your progress nor your bookmarks, instead it will load up the old saved game from step 1. It will only delete the bookmarks and progress of the old game if you leave and restart the game after requesting for the gamebook to be restarted.

3. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Good spot. This has actually been a long-running bug that's been foxing us. We had the same issue our upcoming second gamebook, Necromancer too. You'll be happy to hear though that it has now been solved and won't appear in Necromancer and will be fixed in the next update of Assassin.

4. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Glad to hear, keep those gamebooks coming. :)

5. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    any chance the new book will be longer?

6. TheTinMan

Hi there. Each Gamebook Adventure is roughly around 500 sections in total, although some have more. When you say "longer" are you referring from start to finish or longer as in more sections to investigate? Fighting Fantasy books traditionally came in at around 400 sections and Choose Your Own Adventure a lot less than that, so in comparison to them we have more sections.

One thing we try to do is not make it so you can't finish in one sitting. We like to reveal information so that you have moments where you can backtrack using the bookmarks. The one true positive ending generally takes people quite a while to reach and from reading people's feedback, most are finding Assassin quite tough! Added to that, finding all the achievements and illustrations, we think that there is enough there to add longevity and make it good value for money.

The second book, Necromancer does have more achievements and illustrations to find than Assassin, so in that respect it will take longer to complete.

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    i mean not the amount of sections but more choices, dead ends etc. first chapter depends too much on the fitness value, imho. i've got 11 on first run and it was very easy to play. i believe gameplay would be really different with lower values of fitness.

8. TheTinMan

We feel that currently we have a great many choices in the gamebook. The first section in Orlandes City alone has multiple routes that each reveal different levels of information and that's just the city part! I'd be interested to see what route you took through the whole story and how many of the achievements you found.

Think of fitness as a difficulty marker. Lots of games have Easy, Medium or Hard. A fitness of 11 or 12 could be classed as Easy, 9 or 10 as Medium, and anything below as Hard. A lot of our readers like to replay the books with a different fitness to further investigate areas they have not been to as well as make it easier or harder for themselves.

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    ok, that makes sence. will try to roll lower value :rolleyes:

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Any updates on the status of Necromancer? Has it gone "in review" yet? :D

11. TheTinMan

It's still classed as "waiting for review" currently.

12. TheTinMan

Yes and has been successful! Keep your eyes glued to the app store.

13. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I can't wait for this one! Hope it'll be available before leaving for work tomorrow!!

14. TheTinMan

Promo giveaway

I've got a bunch of promo codes for An Assassin in Orlandes burning a hole in my promo code pocket. Stay tuned as I'll be occasionally dropping a code into this thread over the next few days.

Please only redeem the code if you are genuinely interested in playing the game. if you're not, then kindly leave it for another passer-by. :)

Here's a starter.....

RARJYNRLA4FK

15. TheTinMan

3xknrnj7p7wr
    hrf34xn4wk49

16. notese

notese Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Took 3xknrnj7p7wr

Awesome game, I spent more time than I realized in the bath!

Thanks!

17. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    #218 songbird, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    Nevermind, already have Assassins. ;)

18. TheTinMan

More information than I probably needed...;)

...but I'm really glad you're enjoying it! :)

19. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Is there any way to reset bookmarks without uninstalling my game? Like if my bookmark is in a really bad position and serves almost no purpose. I am trying for 100% completion and it's annoying to have to replay through the whole game the entire time.