iPad Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    It is the storyline that really pulled me into this book. And that is what keeps me playing - trying to follow all of the story paths. In fact, I wouldn't be sad if there was no fighting to be had. Just pick a path and deal with fitness checks.

And I just got the "win!" achievement. Now I'll have to go back and search for the other items mentioned that I haven't found, and see if I can get some more achievements.

2. chainsawash

chainsawash Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Just gave the new combat system a test run and it is most definitely an improvement. Since that was the only criticism I had when I first played back in Feb I just wanted to give my thumbs up for all the great work, I'm now even more excited for the next volume!

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    They are? Not so in the US Appstore.

I'm liking this gamebook, btw. It is well written compared to the FF books and is easier to navigate and has more polish and atmosphere. Definitely glad I picked it up.

4. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Ok, so I am officially in love with this app now. I just wrote a 5-star review for it on the appstore, doing my best impression of a literati. ;) I'm joking a bit about that impression, but I must say how seriously impressed I am at the amount of balancing this gamebook managed to pull off. It's great for the casual reader and one that requires a bit more of a literary experience to go along with a little escapism, in my opinion. I think it walks all the fine lines exceptionally well.

At this point I am wondering when the next book will be out. :)

5. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great feedback recently in this thread guys! :)

Check out our thread about Gamebook Adventures 2 in the Upcoming Games forum for more info.

6. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Ah, thanks! I'm excited!

7. TheTinMan

Nasty crash bug in version 1.4

Like a group of eager beavers we prepared a pretty big update to Assassin last week. The build helped improve some framerate issues and fixed a few other things here and there. Sadly though, because of the overhaul we missed a pretty nasty crash bug in testing which has caused new players some problems. :( We have fixed this and version 1.41 has been submitted to Apple. :)

If you’ve updated recently then please wait for the next update until you play again. If you’ve recently bought the game then we’re really sorry if you’re having problems. This will be rectified in a few days and you’ll be able to enjoy Assassin properly. We’ve already had a bad review about this on the US app store so we’ve learned our lesson! Apologies.

8. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Bummer...thanks for the heads up though!

9. TheTinMan

Version 1.41 now out!

Just to let you all know that version 1.41 is now available on the app store which fixes the nasty crash bug that plagued so many peeps.

Enjoy! :)

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Great news! I really hated having to put it aside for a few days. In that time I went back and read Deathtrap Dungeon again for the first time since I've had An Assassin in Orlandes, and I must say the difference in quality was really noticeable to me. The first Gamebook Adventures entry really outdoes Fighting Fantasy in story, polish, gameplay, inventory...basically in every way. I'm really anticipating the next release!

11. Human

Human Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Love this app, but could you guys give me a hint on how to find Ehrlich? I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with searching the top floor of the Hall of Records, but even though i have tried every storyline combination it is still impossible for me to know where Eltane was heading and the name of the nobleman at the same time.

12. TheTinMan

That pesky Ehrlich! No worries, I'll drop you a PM with some hints. :)

13. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
  14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    disappointed actually, story is simple and very short. and fitness plays such important role, that if u have high value - u are not going to have any problems at all.

15. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

I've got a bookmark at the castle and it seems like I'm at a dead end because I don't have that magical sword. I think I've tried every single path. is there a way to complete it without the sword?

16. TheTinMan

There are a number of endings in Assassin, but only one of them is the true ending and it sounds like you've exhausted all of them except that one! By "magical sword" I am guessing you are referring to Ehrlich which you will need to reveal the true ending and you may need to retrace your steps, even as far back as Orlandes City to find the path which reveals that artifact.

I don't want to reveal too much here in case other peeps are still playing it, but if you get really stuck then drop me a PM and I'll be happy to give you some hints. :)

You'll be happy to know that Necromancer has multiple ways to get to the true ending although some are harder than others.

17. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

Time to start over. ;)

18. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #198 tblrsa, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    First Impressions:

I´ve enjoyed playing those old text adventures with their well crafted storylines, yet i´ve never touched a gamebook before. I´ve grown up in a time where material gamebooks have mostly vanished from existence. Infocom and Sierra have already begun to craft their ideas on the Personal Computer, which brought us games like Infocom´s "Shogun" or Sierra´s "Leisure Suit Larry". While "An Assassin In Orlandes" isn´t really the cheapest game you can gather your hands on in the App Store, in return it provides you with a very detailed, rich and immersive storyline to lose yourself in.

Is it worth the asking price? I´d say it heavily depends on whether the fantasy setting appeals to you and whether you are fine with reading lots of texts along with the occasional option of deciding in which way the story will unfold itself. Personally i still feel that the price is a bit steep, but "Assassin In Orlandes" is a decent game nontheless. The Achievement System for example is a great way of expanding the game experience. I´m sure it will keep me quite busy till i´ve collected every possible achievement. And may i mention that this gamebook does offer different endings aswell?

Despite my rantings about the price, this is one excellent game. :)

19. TheTinMan

Thanks for the great feedback tblrsa! It's great to know that we've been the first gamebook you've encountered. If it's perked your interest you can probably find old series of printed gamebooks from the 70s, 80s, and 90s on ebay. Demian's Gamebook database is a great resource if you're interested in finding other gamebooks from the mists of time.

As for the price, you're not the first to say you felt is was a bit expensive. I have discussed this before on this forum but it is the price it is because of the amount of work that has to go into them. Writing a book from scratch takes a long time (we are not a re-print of 25 year old material like some others), that if it was published in paperback form would likely cost around three times as much to buy. Not only that but we've added more interactivity and features than you would get with the printed medium so all in all we feel buyers are getting pretty good value for what is essentially the price of 2 or 3 cups of coffee.

I hope you choose to stick with us for our future releases! Orlandes has a lot more tales to tell....

20. I bought this and the Wizard of Firetop Mountain at the same time and I've got to admit, I prefer this one. With the other game, it's too much "left or right?" and not enough decent story. Maybe it'll get better as I go along, but the inability to backtrack and the labyrinthine nature of the Mountain makes it highly unenjoyable since I never know if I missed something important. But the combat is perfect, with your die roll added on top of your skill rating, compared to your opponent's same score and the one with the lower of the two being dealt two damage (four if you pass the Luck check).

In comparison, Assassin of Orlandes has a hugely superior storyline and is definitely much better written. I love the little things here and there and how it accentuates that different decisions affect how far you get or what you find out (such as doing one small thing differently can get you an item that seems useless but proves very useful later). My problem, and sole problem, with the game though is the die rolling. Maybe I need to reread the rules, but they seem grossly unfair. Half the time I'm not sure if getting better equipment is actually worth it, since the opponents always seem to roll fives and sixes. :rolleyes:

But combat aside, I really love this game and can't wait to actually figure out how to beat it. I got to Eltare's (or whatever his name is) Castle and did all the right things, got the best armour but then died because I didn't know that guy's name. Damn mage people! :D

Anyway, I look forward to the sequel. The effort you guys are putting into the game really stands out. :)