Game scoring systems, are they too complex?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by different, May 13, 2009.

1. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I think that many gaming sites, including my own, are using far too complex review metrics. But I'm not sure what the community opinion is. Are the x/10, or x/5, or x/100% too complex? Do you judge a game based on the review site's numerical breakdown or the full text?

What's the best review metric that you've seen yet?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The best review metric I've seen is no scores at all, leaving readers to decide on their own based on the things you mention as liking and disliking in your review. Scores lead to inconsistencies, and the worst thing a review site can do is send a mixed message to their readers.

Case in point:

http://www.148apps.com/reviews/scoops/ 5 Stars, "99 CENT GEM"
    http://www.148apps.com/reviews/sky-burger/ 3 Stars, "DULL TIMEWASTER"

3. different

Aug 8, 2008
    The 148apps case would still be sending a mixed message even if you removed their star ratings, not that I agree with their decision. Ultimately that boils down to a different reviewer being assigned the game, not a case of whether their rating system is flawed or not.

Scores help to show what you think of an app in a concise way of course, Bonnie clearly didn't like the concept as much as Jeff.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

OK, say we start rating games between 1 and 10. What is a 1 and what is a 10? A measurement without a set scale is meaningless.

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I don't like 148apps reviews either.

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    If x/10 or x/x is too complex, than I don't know what to say about your readers..... :eek:

I think some will judge solely on number value alone, others will read entirely through an article/review and draw their own conclusions, and then there are those that will do a little of both....

7. different

Aug 8, 2008
    That's part of the problem.

For me, a perfect 10/10 game is one like Rolando or Zen Bound. For someone else, they're not going to be perfect.

I still think that a score metric is a good indication of summarising your feelings on a game, but perhaps a x/10 is just too complicated.

8. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    A scoring system is a good indication, that's all it is.
    But to say it's "too complex" is silly in my opinion. I think it's obvious that if you score it 10/10, it means it's perfect. If you score it 0/10, it's worthless, and 5/10 is meh. Everything else is in between.
    Maybe instead of saying too complex, it could be changed to worthless other than to get an idea if the reviewer liked the game or not.

9. different

Aug 8, 2008
    Well, I always appreciate feedback from readers and want to improve upon what I'm doing.

It's not necessarily the complexity of the score, I mean anyone can tell if I liked a game if I gave it 8/10. But there's other factors. Even choosing to review a game comes into the equation, because average games won't often get covered. And yes, there's people who will just think 'oh sweet, this got 9/10, must be awesome!'

And I would hope that readers read the full text.. that's why I write it... :rolleyes:

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Then don't include numerical rankings and let people draw their own conclusions.

11. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    I have to agree with Hodapp on this one, and a reason why I believe TA reviews are the best out there. Just lay out the likes/dislikes and I'll come up with my own internal score.

For instance, I read your (@ different) review of Touch Physics which you gave a 7.0. That score indicates it's a relatively good game, but when you read the review, you say "A fun physics based game with some good levels - bar the annoying invisible walls and object spamming it's a worthwhile use of your time"
    That's a 7/10? In my world, that's a 3-4/10. I got more value from what you wrote than the number....but that's just me, and again, personal taste.
    Just reading annoying invisible walls is a game breaker (for me) so 7/10 doesn't work for me....but you make some good points that would have helped me decide if this game was worth a look.
    Does that make sense?

12. different

Aug 8, 2008
    I enjoyed Touch Physics quite a bit, just thought that the invisible walls (not present on every level) were unnecessary. The game is perfectly playable just as long as you don't choose to completely wreck it for yourself, which I did unfortunately. I did otherwise think it was above average, hence the 7. :)

I'm going to have to have a think about how I want to position the site. Initially the x/10 was done so that I could give a comparable score to what I aggregate, but in fact it may be more useful to do some kind of solid grading metric - that grades a game on it's technical merits and originality.

I will also think about omitting the scores altogether.

13. tonysfavourite

tonysfavourite Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    all scoring is very subjective, and readers shouldn't listen to them, but there should be some kind of rating mechanism in all review sites, because that helps you when you just browsing to find something interesting.

The best imho is a user/reader rating only. the reviewers' rating is just doesn't mean anything.

14. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Do you realize how contradictory your own statements are?
    Let me spell it out for you :rolleyes:
    Readers shouldn't listen to scoring, but there should be a scoring mechanism on all sites!! :confused::eek::confused:

Further...
    Best is a user/reader rating only. Reviewers' rating doesn't mean anything...

Buddy, your post doesn't mean anything other than words formed together... :cool: