iPad Game reviews??

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nate5911, Mar 6, 2009.

?

How important are reviews when it comes to buying games/apps??

1. Very Important

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. It is one of the factors I weigh

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. Doesn't really matter

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. People actually read reviews? Since When?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nate5911

Nate5911 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    How much do game reviews (whether it be iTunes reviews, TA articles, or whatever) influence you when buying a game/app?

Like if there was a game that you were sort of interested in and were on the fence about it but it good exceptionally good reviews would that be enough for you to buy it?

2. traonk

traonk Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    student
    earth
    not really

i buy a game from looking a video about the game what the gameplay look like and also review

3. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Reviews very greatly influence whether or not I get a game. Because, customers are the most like me (cause I'm one too, duh!) and if they don't enjoy the game, than I take that into much consideration.

For instance, I was looking into buying Orions, and I checked around and saw the ratings for this game were pretty good... but when I read/heard some bad reviews from friends and people on the iTunes store, I was turned off from the game and I ended up not even buying it. (Right now it's on my Snipe list on AppSniper)

4. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    Im quite influenced by reviews, nice to see everyones opinons but in the its ure choice as to wether u buy the app or not

5. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Game Reviews do have some sort of influence but if I'm set on buying a game even some negative reviews won't deter me after doing research on it.

After reading Sushi's excellent review of Virtual Villagers: The Lost Children, I knew I wanted to get it. I already was going in that direction for sure but he spoke about details and got in depth which helped my decision greatly.

6. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    If I am on the fence...reviews make or break it for me.

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #7 Big Albie, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    Game reviews are just part of the overall consideration. Often you'll find 5-star reviews in iTunes but you when click on the reviewer's name, they've only reviewed one or two other games...for the same dev. On the flip side, reviews in iTunes can be ridiculously flawed because you often see 1-star reviews from idiots based solely on the fact they missed out on a price drop or they can't install something correctly.

I'm generalizing, but that's why you research forums such as TA because people tend to be objective here to a certain degree.

8. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I don't listen to iTunes reviews. I never buy games blind, I always look here first. I follow detailed feedback from this site much more than a 2-star average on iTunes with 16 reviews by 12-year-olds saying, "Hey! This wont strt on my ipod. Game sux, needz to be fixd. Dont by!"

9. traonk

traonk Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    student
    earth
    yep thats right itunes review most of them are fake

good place to go are this website or slide to play

10. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    A review may get my attention, but it's always the discussions here at TA that do it for me. A few dozen nutcases with completely different expectations fighting over an app over several pages seem more reliable than the best reviewer imo! :D

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It does influence me, but fake reviews are disgusting. Some gameloft games had fake reviews and they're quite obvious to tell.

12. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    +1, exactly what they mean to me.
    That's why they're such an important role, they're the decision maker.

13. Mhans13

Mhans13 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I dont really trust the iTunes reviews at all. I mean a 5 star rating deffinitly helps but I dont really read the reviews people give because i feel like most of the people reviewing don't know what they are talking about. But reviews on sites like this deffinitly get me to buy games. Im not big on buying in to hype, so I always wait for a review or two so i know what im going to get.

14. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    It all depends on who's doing the review. I rather have one review from a trusted source than 10 glowing ones from strangers.

If DonBurns or YourPersonalRobot (for ex.) recommend something - i'm on it.

15. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Forum discussions are better. There's more people talking and it's less likely people can get away with giving false info.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Before I buy an app I do take a quick look at the 5 star rating and what the last few reviews gave it, most of the time though I buy games going by feedback from here or another gaming forum.

17. Nate5911

Nate5911 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    haha, yep that is pretty much how most reviews go. That actually how I found TA, got sick of the iTunes reviewing system.

18. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    if its my kind of game from videos and screenshots, i check out reviews. usually i look at the general response and negative reviews to see what kinds of things people don't like about the game i am interested in. i take critics reviews a bit more seriously, but usually look at what they like/don't like about the game rather than the general character of the review.

19. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Unless its is a game I have been anticipating, I always check out reviews and gameplay videos from multiple sites. If I am on the fence, a good review could push me into purchase.

20. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think reviews are very important, but then I'm a bit biased :) I also look at any media the developers have provided and the support they are willing to provide (not necessarily free content updates or anything, but the support on the product they've already provided). And, I'm finding myself more and more swayed by discussions on threads. For example, I'm THIS close (holds up two fingers really close together) to buying Virtual Villagers 2, even though I wasn't a big fan of the series when it was Village Sim on the Palm. The reason I'm considering buying it is because of a lively and mostly positive discussion thread here at TA.