Game marketing - advice needed

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NewDawnSoft, Nov 13, 2014.

1. NewDawnSoft

NewDawnSoft Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Developer
    France
    #1 NewDawnSoft, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    I have a game which has been out for some days now, few downloads but some users getting back to it. Although some people kindly rated it 5 stars, I have not received any feedback until now, I mean honest feedback.

I've been working on an update, adding new game modes, new content, but well I just don't know if it's worth it. Should I keep trying marketing it ? Maybe paid marketing through ads ? Or is that a waste of time for that type of games ? Should I move to something bigger now ? Am I wrong on anything (screenshot, video, icon, description...) ?

The link : https://itunes.apple.com/app/id916954081

Please share your thoughts, honest thoughts.

2. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    If it has failed to take off, unless you have some secret event that's about to bump things and perhaps a nice juicy deal with a Youtuber who makes you pay a lot for a couple minutes of casting, just move on.
    However, if you have to move on to something after coming out of a failure, it's certainly not something bigger, but actually aim for something smaller.
    You can't aim for bigger if you haven't succeeded yet.

3. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian

How much design and program time have you invested in your game

4. NewDawnSoft

NewDawnSoft Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Developer
    France
    Thank you Pixelosis. So I'll make some updates and move on other games :) I'm facing the tough reality of marketing with no or little money spent.
    Anyway, what about the game in itself? First sight of the screenshots, what does it suggest you? I'm lacking some advices on the game itself, rude or not...

5. NewDawnSoft

NewDawnSoft Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Developer
    France
    About 2 monthes, working on nights and some week-ends only. First game, I've done much things to speed up the devs for the next games.

6. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    As a quick consumable app, I'd say visually it passes the test. I have to be honest, it took me a while to get used to the idea of the vast majority of app downloaders being satisfied with "crapps" so anything that's like okayish, not stellar but good enough, would work well if it's coloured and clear, which happens to be the case with your app.
    However, the screenshots are rather terrible. The menu shot is not necessary and honestly not the prettiest part of the app.
    Besides, there's no description (just a few words, don't put too much text). We don't understand what's going on. We at best guess that you might have to feed the bird, but is it this bird that's stupid or you, presumably its "mother", that's stupid? We see rocks (which aren't very obvious, you only spot them if you pay much attention). So is the mother giving rocks to the birdling? That's really odd. And if it's a game where you have to avoid the bad stuff that falls from the top of the screen (which is not obvious at all again), how do you do it? Do you move left and right?
    You really need to make the principle of your game clear within two screenshots. I think it's not very original at all so it's aimed at being quickly downloaded, tried and probably deleted. Meaning you have to deliver the purpose of the game very, very quickly and not count on people reading the text underneath.
    If you want to add a video, make it 15 seconds long tops and straight to the point.

7. NewDawnSoft

NewDawnSoft Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Developer
    France
    Thank you Pixelosis for your feedback, really appreciated it. I knew screenshots were not very clear nor nice and we are working on it. I was reluctant to add some text on them but I think you're just right about it, so that the game principle will be more obvious at the first sight of the screenshots.

8. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    If you want to get some info on google ads, returns etc. I am posting real time data on a game I am promoting. I have about $50,000USD to place into advertising and testing various forms to find the best way to advertise this and other games.

This is the forum link to the info I am posting

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=248890

9. Mighty Dragon Studios

Mighty Dragon Studios Active Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Games Developer
    The App Stores
    Marketing is an art itself.

It all starts with asking the right questions and catering your efforts to the specific niche. Marketing to everyone means you are marketing to no one. Especially at the start. I guess you have to be bold, creative and unique. I learn this myself day by day. :)

This article may juggle your brains a little: http://blog.tapgage.com/2012/10/81-different-ways-to-promote-your-mobile-app-game/

10. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Have you made an instagram account for your game? Make your profiles web link go to the app, post some photos of the game with good hash tags. It does help. I'll give you a shoutout if you like