Game Ideas you don't want to talk about

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by brof, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ylyu5

ylyu5 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Producer
    Hong Kong
    Probably most of the game developers here might have faced the same symptoms. We all have plenty of great idea in our brain(or in our sketch book). It is always exciting to get someone appreciate our idea.

But exposure of the great ideas might be copied by someone. If that "someone" make the game before we do, we might lost the chance to give the first impulse to App Store. This is what we worrying about.
    Therefore we always have to struggle between sharing and keeping secret. It is very pain to choose either one of the choice, actually I always have to face the problem.....:p

maybe you can try adding a tagline "Please don't copy my idea" in front your idea. But I don't guarantee the outcome....:)

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

So... is the puzzle game trying to figure out what the puzzle game is? Anyone ever see The Game with Michael Douglas?

3. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    @ylyu5

right, I wan't to share ideas and talk about them, but I can't ... because you always think that you have gaming gold in your mind....

cheers,

4. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    Our amazing game idea story

When we started developing iPhone apps, it was partly to develop a really awesome and huge game idea - suffice it to say that upon release, this game will literally be earth shaking with billions of people playing a role in it all over the world. We have now been working on this idea for almost two years, continuously, every day in the back of our minds and while we sleep. We've discussed parts of the idea with a few very close friends, but never the entirety of the idea with anyone. Even within our team, no one of us knows the complete idea. This is to prevent one of us from taking the idea for their own and leaving the rest of us in the cold. Why do I share this great idea with you now? Because that's what this thread is about - sharing great game ideas. How we came up with them (standing in line looking at all the people buying an iPhone), how we refined them (noticing how the world is filled with lots of people who will eventual all know someone with an iPhone), and how we turned them in to the awesome game that they were destined to become (through what I'm sure will be another year or more of caffeine-induced days and sleepless nights). Of course, I'm sure everyone understands that I can't post my game artwork (since there isn't any) or a description of the game (ideas are fluid, and I don't know the complete picture), and I've already put too much in this post that I'm afraid a few folks may have figured out that the game is a MMORPG Oops, dang-it! how do you edit posts, I didn't mean to say that aj248pbvpdp32ujquepiofqu2v 0uf ajkfd fsdjk afdsj0[92ijorqef=39 alf[09;j1 qf u[19 to;gjv;a] fjkal-pjf afdsjlj-2jnkh;x afl

5. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    that's the reason I work alone :D I can't trust fellow programmers. They are worse than KGB spies...

/takes a look behind his shoulder

6. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    #46 Dylan1696, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    OH LOOK... Someone stole your puzzle game idea and named it "Numeric Paranoia"!!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=40417

7. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I like the name! but good that I was so secretive...

my game is out now, working on my next idea, a sports game some might say if I would be forced...

cheers,
    brof

8. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I have a very tiny, tiny idea. I am listening right now to Ravel's Bolero (MIDI fle). It is license free music. So my "idea" is to make a game about that music. From start to end. 11 minutes crescendo. I don't have any gameplay yet, but there is something very gamey about that music...

I am getting less paranoid, I guess :D

cheers,
    brof

9. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    ha! a new idea submerged... I am going to fix chess (boring graphics, gameplay is like latin ... pretty dead, 8x8 is not fun)

:D
    brof

10. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
  11. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    of course execution is as important as a good idea... but sharing ideas is like giving away the headstart... anybody can execute a good idea with time and staff. Execution can be organized, being creative and brilliant is what counts...

cheers

12. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    I will if it's a good idea. You owe me $20 if it's a crappy one. Deal?

13. Unfortunately it's not that simple. The idea is just a root.

You can't just expect that "Brilliant Execution" will come automatically given enough time and staff (aka money).

"Brilliant Execution" requires creativity at every step along the way. Having a good root idea is nice, but the idea needs to grow and be improved along the way.

Decisions are made every single day in the development of a game or other product. A bad decision at any point along the way can derail a great idea.

14. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    Actually that's not entirely correct. Execution is the hardest part and more important than the initial idea in my experience. Volumes have been written on organization and software processes and no one has it down perfect. You treat it as if it's a solved problem and it's not. Ideas are a dime a dozen. You think creativity and brilliance ends with the idea phase?!?! Please. Those attributes are worth 100x more in the execution phase than the initial vision phase. Give me problem solvers in the execution phase and I'll out produce an army of creative types. Then again, they aren't mutually exclusive. In the 10 years I've worked in the games industry, it's the projects driven by the brilliant and creative idealists that have crashed and burned the most. The pragmatic realists executing on a simple and clear vision have always worked out better.

15. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    it is also depending on what the scope of your idea definition is. I don't think that the core gameplay is what has to be protected alone. When I think of ideas, then I think of the complete package. I could tell you that, the idea is a turn-based car racing game. But when I think of that idea, I have much, much more in mind, how I would do that...

so basically, what and how is very valuable information...
    or execution and idea is important... so thanks, for clearing up the confusion...

16. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

Hey that could be a catchy game! "The Game You Didn't Want to Talk About"

17. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I did something like that in Quozzle Quest... there is a side game hidden. If you find the game, you have to figure out the rules and how to score points.... ;)