Game Ideas you don't want to talk about

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by brof, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Such a funny thread!

It's easy to get paranoid and be tempted to keep tight-lipped when one comes up with what they think is a new/novel idea.

But for every good idea, the chances are good that someone else has already thought of it. I've had friends come to me with "great ideas" only to have me point them to an existing app that already does exactly what they describe.

And don't forget that execution is just as important as an idea, if not more so. Flight Control is remembered by most folk as bsing the first line-drawing game, but in reality it's really the first successful one.

2. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Personally, even if you didn't talk about it, someone might make it anyways. And if you did, there would be no telling that someone else would do it (maybe no one else would think it's as cool as you do) and/or do it faster.
    Paranoia is a waste of time and energy. You're much better off putting your energy into making the game instead of talking about how paro you are.

Good luck!

3. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    I'm gonna make a puzzle game called "Paranoid" and it will have music by Ozzy Osbourne singing the song with the same name! Thanks for the idea!

Ha! Just kidding!

4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Considering it took you just a week or two shy of an *entire year* to finish that game and put it in the app store, perhaps there was some justification for your paranoia... ;)

5. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I had the game running after 3 month, but I did not like it at all... I took a hefty break (did Avoid Hitting Piano), after that break I threw away alot of the generic art assets, added a second hidden, secret game mode (paranoia? yes)
    and so on...

Paranoia is my second nature, that is how I roll, does not cost me energy at all... execution is as important as to have a vision... I got a couple of ideas in my scetch book, but I can't talk about it now. maybe 2011 ....:D

cheers

6. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I have an idea for an utility that bases on a quite simple ... idea (lol ok idea based on an idea... nice :D).

The idea MY idea is based on has already been used a bit, but my idea adds enhancements to that thing that no dev of these already existing apps has ever thought of...
    It also bases on an easily updatable concept...

(btw, I don't get the sense of this thread... all I said is "I have an idea", which is not very special amoung us humans, right? :D)

7. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    well, when your idea is safe and out of danger, then you can share it here (my idea is now safe, the game is released), so do the same please. but keep your unfinished ideas secret at all costs

:)

8. Ideas aren't worth much on their own. I've got over 60 ideas for iPhone games and apps. Most of them are "pretty good" in my opinion and some are really cool (again in my opinion).

Execution is what matters. Get it implemented and get it polished.

Also, as has been pointed out in previous threads on this same topic, if your idea is truly different and unique, others are less likely to copy it because it hasn't been shown as a successful game formula yet.

By the way, from the way you've worded your posts in this thread, I've figured out what your puzzle game idea is and I am nearly done implementing it. You probably should have just kept quiet.

9. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I'm just gonna mention that this sounds exactly like Gyromancer from Popcap and Square Enix :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaP0mo2x0Y0

10. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    that was just an example, of course.

too bad for you, because I am already out with it as you can see in my signature :p

11. LOL...I didn't notice the thread was a year old!

Now that it's out, what, in your opinion makes this idea so amazing that you had to keep it a secret?

I really can't tell anything about the game from the screenshots.

12. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
  13. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    i'm making a foot racing game about a doctor that really needs to get to a patient that needs an organ transplant.

watch for it :)

14. Hmmmmm...not sure what to say. I've watched both videos, read your app description and looked at all screenshots.

I honestly still don't have the slightest idea what your game is about, how to play it, the goals or anything really.

Why are there flashing white squares over the artwork? Why is the artwork slowly changing? Why are you trying to turn some of the white squares to red. What is that white line that turns them from red to green? It seems like most of the time you touched the screen nothing happened. Once in a while touching would change a square to red.

Also, why are there butterflies and pears on the other game screen?

Sorry, if this sounds negative, but your app really confuses me, especially since you were so secretive about it.

15. I thought I just read about an app like that. Maybe it was you in another thread?

Sounds funny.:) As a counterpoint to brof's game, I already have a good idea what your game is about and I can imagine a couple of ways it might be played.

16. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I have no ideas, but I'm still paranoid.. :p

17. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    #37 brof, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    yeah, that happened cause I was fighting with holding the camera steady and looking through the camera onto the game... so I could not touch very well

the flashing squares and the white line are the side game (As Slow As Possible) to the Main game... the rules for the side game are secret. They have to be explored by the player.

The main game is basically Scrabble and Domino mixed but with colors instead of letters ... the Butterflys help you to save moves, score points, fill your XP bar...

the game is discussed here
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=40778

if you want a promo code, PM me... let me know your thoughts...

cheers,

18. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    Just keep this thread going until next monday and then you can say "I Have a Dream." Martin Luther King Day (which is very special among us humans)

19. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #39 tblrsa, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Oh i have some ideas, pity i´m no coder and i haven´t time to learn it at this very moment. But someday, yeah someday, who knows...

All my ideas are containing strategies which involve looking at a common game mechanic from a different angle. I don´t wanna say more, so i bet i´m spot on with this threads topic. ;)

20. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    yes, tabula rasa. Keep it secret... you got it right.