Game Development Challenge 2010

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by QuantumDuck, Sep 14, 2010.

1. QuantumDuck

QuantumDuck Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Spreading the word about FREE apps!
    Hi guys,

I am wanting to host a game development challenge soon. It will be open to anyone who wants to enter (fee still undecided but very small) and you would have the chance to win some good money and a lot of popularity for your game.

First of all let me know after you read these few decided factors if you are interested and then tell me what you think the entry fee should be.

- Developer pays small fee to enter
    - Entry fee covers cost of a page dedicated to their app
    - They must be in development of that app or starting development when competition starts
    - Developers website page (hosted by me) will start off explaining their app, anything they want known about their team of developers, and screenshots/videos of what their working on.
    - Developers will be able to change their information out every week or so to refresh the page and even have a comments section on the page.
    - Developers will be able to submit the app to the appstore but games rating will have no effect on decision of the winner.
    - Users on the website will enter their email and get 5 votes to use for any contestant (can be split up).
    - They can use their votes on any developers game.
    - The apps will be judged partially on how many votes they get from users online viewing the screenshots, videos, or even the app itself.
    - In the end the development team that wins the challenge has the game out there and getting very popular plus they get money from us.

Tell me what you think! Any questions just leave a comment and if you are in for helping or developing a game for the competition please tell me too.

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I can't quite wrap my brain around the idea of an AppStore contest, given that the AppStore itself is effectively already a contest of sorts. Developers create and submit new apps and have a chance to earn money, without having to pay any upfront fees.

Contests can be fun. I'd be much more inclined to participate in a contest sponsored by a larger site (i.e. TA itself) that was relatively narrow in scope, i.e. "make a rougelike game" or "make a game inspired by moderator's favorite arcade game X, Y, or Z."

3. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    Scaredy Cat! :p

4. I have to agree with Stroffolino here:

- I already pay a "contest fee" to Apple every year ($99).
    - I already have a web site for my company and apps that I can update any time I want, not just once a week.
    - People already "vote" for my apps by buying them and rating them.

The only way that this contest will be of any use for developers is if you have a huge user base for your site, but it sounds like you haven't even created the site yet (correct me if I am wrong).

Also, what percentage of the contest entry fees goes to prizes? I assume you are keeping some percentage for your efforts too.

5. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Honestly, this seems like it wouldn't be worth a fee, however small, unless you could guarantee a lot of incoming traffic for your website. Do you have a plan for attracting gamers to the site? Will there be any incentive for them to vote?

If you think that you can attract a great deal of traffic, consider waving the fee and generating revenue through ads. If you don't think that you can attract a great deal of traffic, then developers won't support you and you need a new plan. ;)

6. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I might pay a fee if it were featured on the toucharcade main page

7. Brawnydt

Brawnydt Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Marketing consultant and Game designer
    California
    Yes exactly, what website would this contest be hosted on? What kind of traffic are we looking at, and what kind of visibility? If touch arcade were to host a contest like this, then it would be worth almost any fee... but if freecoolappsiphonipad.com.net.biz were to do it, then I don't see a point.