Game Dev Story is probably the best game I've played on the iPhone so far!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Scaramoosh, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Since87

Since87 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I wouldn't call it the BEST..
    but the addiction of it is TOO high.

I've broke night by mistake playing it..
    just imagine if the developer made it for iOS tho.. money in the BANK guaranteed.

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...cant say it tempted me even a little from the descriptions, but this thread has what, 10+ people saying they LOVE it and no one saying the slightest bit negative so I guess might have to take the plunge.

3. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Here's some negatives. Everyone loves it and I've already passed the weekly itunes budget I've been trying to set for myself. I'm trying to limit purchases due the plethora of the word iTunes on my band statement.

4. Jypsy

Jypsy Active Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Janesville, WI
    If you want negatives, here are a few:

1. Addicting gameplay. You are constantly fiddling with your staff and games, and there is so little downtime you really just sit there watching the stats go up as the devs do their thing, training or leveling a staff member here and there. Sounds boring but it gets quite insane. (not like diner dash really but more sim-like)

2. The game is somewhat repetitive. After about 5 in game years and you really get the hang of the flow of the game, you will start predicting when consoles get phased out, and subsequent games have little variety in the console order as far as I have seen.

3. It doesn't do everything you really want it to.
    I wanted to make my devs work on multiple projects at the same time (at cost of productivity of course) but there is no way to do that. I wanted to make a game multiplatform but there is no way to do this, as only one game on one console can be developed at a a time. Sure you could go and make the game again on another platform, but then your fans start to get all whiny since you are becoming repetitive.
    The biggest thing I wanted to do is cause a resurgence in an old system or the PC, causing the install base to jump because of my awesome game, but it doesn't seem to function that way.

The game is fantastic but extremely EXTREMELY addicting in a way that angry birds or other top 10 games can't even imagine. You keep wanting to push things a bit more, just a few more upgrades to your graphics, just one more new hiree than you promise to quit....but you don't.

I am on year 20 right now and I have genuinely lost track of time frequently, which is a serious concern for some people. So don't play it at work, or you may realize your shift has been over for 3 hours before you know it.

I know it sounds like hyperbole but this game has a really odd addicting style. If it had a few improvements (which I heard some are in the sequel in Japan I believe) and things like leaderboards or multiplayer in some fashion, it would be obscenely difficult to pull away from.

5. batok77

batok77 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    agree with you. love this game. <3

6. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Jypsy said: don't play it at work, or you may realize your shift has been over for 3 hours before you know it.

LOL, funniest remark I've seen in a while!

7. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Before I buy this... how's the replay value once you reach the end of the campaign?

8. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    How do get a hardware engineer? I have tried using the book but none of my staff can become a hardware engineer, even the ones that have been previously in their career.

9. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I am so tempted to get this!

But for the sake of my finals I shall hold off. Looking forward to this though, I love games with a good sense of humour.

10. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I think you use the change jobs thing until all the jobs are level 5 and then they can become one....I THINK....

11. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    I was hopelessly stuck at a 12-hour wedding..... so I played this the whole time.

It really is THAT good.

12. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Pick one staff member (I chose Walt Sidney, he is like the best employee in the whole game since he's already Lvl5 Hardware Engi) and upgrade their current job to Level 5. Then use the staff change book and change it to another job and upgrade that to Level 5. And so on, and so on, until every job he has listed is Level 5. Then he can be a hardware engi. Keep in mind that this raises ANY WORKER'S salary to excruciatingly high amounts (123,713 K....... ugh)

But the best thing about having a hardware engi (with good stats) is that they can do anything. Walt Sidney (at my company) has 500+ stats across the board.

BTW - sorry for double post :(