Universal Game Dev Story (by Kairosoft Co.,Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Oct 9, 2010.

1. hontat

hontat Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Singapore
    Very Inspiration

Gosh addicted.

and had to admit it is very inspirational.

2. wolfpowpow

wolfpowpow Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    God! I wish I am a game dev now!!
    So interesting!

This is like the "guy" version of Diner Dash.
    Bless the developers!

3. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

When you say "Guy's version of Diner dash", do you mean in terms of gameplay?

How do you play it anyway? Is it like diner dash, or what?

4. Xur

Xur Member

Oct 7, 2010
    It seems interesting. Some advice to play it.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not exactly. While it is another Time Management like game, it is far more about making strategic decisions than needing to quickly react to stuff in a arcade like manner.

6. mrdasman

mrdasman Active Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Austin ,Tx
    I bought this on a whim last night and started playing it. I read through the "manual" and it didn't really make a lot of sense to me. But as you play it, it's really easy to pick up exactly what's going on. I started playing at 11 and next thing I knew, it was 2. I love everything about the game, especially that you can continue to play after your high score is collected. I've released 4 games through it so far, and although my critic reviews are still hovering around 5, the sales are pushing into the top 5.

It's not really time-management, but it definitely has that feel to it, but since there's no levels for a break, it's really easy to get lost in the game. Great game, certainly recommend it at its price. Played for 3 hours and went through about 40% battery life.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I didn't catch it at first, now the game tracking your sales for 20 years makes more sense as I'm pretty sure the game starts in some early 80's parallel universe with the MSX System (although they cleverly change the name), and then works its way through the various major console releases from that point in history. While all sorts of liberties with specific launch dates and such were taken for artistic license, it does appear that your knowledge of the history of these systems can pay off. For example, when Snega releases its Game Gear with an exorbitant licensing fee, you may want to just stand clear as it never reaches the market penetration the Gameboy has in this game's fictional world. Hopefully the developers allow things to randomize a bit so that in some run throughs the Game Gear doesn't tank horribly but it really seems to just be following the real trends in the game I've played so far.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Actually I think if you develop for a specific system you influence its sales. I swore I got the game gear parody to have more shares than the gameboy.

9. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    #29 KoolKing, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    One more quick question. Has anyone tried the app on the iPad? Neither AppShopper nor iTunes say the app is Universal but the description says it is. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on it is I don't want to buy it and have an iPad version released later.

10. DexT79

DexT79 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I love this game and I'm playing it on my iPad but it's not an universal app, lets hope they change it in a coming update.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I saw in the screenshot even the "Pad" button and had assume this was some way to force a more optimized iPad UI or something silly, but no, it ijust meant to literally enable a virtual direction pad...which really has almost no function in this game. This little virtual pad stuff, as well as its cute but VERY retro graphics has me assuming this must be some sort of cell phone port but can't find any listing for a same named game before October of this year.

12. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    Thats's what I thought. Thanks. I sent the dev an email asking about any potential universal updates or native iPad versions. I will let you guys know if they have any feedback?

13. DexT79

DexT79 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Dammit! Intendro just won game of the year with Legend of Helgra :D

My team including my Director Shigeto Minamoto will have to work harder next year :p

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm just happy to not get WORST game of the year!

I once won Best Sound Design in one of my Gameboy games, you know, Crock, that famous Animal Puzzler you must have HEARD of (it sold nearly 500,000 units in my fictional game world)!

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    My action robot title just did the same thing! Broke 750000 and got overall reviewed score of 31.... seriously this game is like crack. I wanna finish my first 20 year run so I can start over with my buffed game genre and types!

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow! So how leveled up were your developers to churn out a hit like that? I had all of my folk about level 3 but surely the key is to boost them up more (instead I fell for too many, "Sure, try to boost the Creativity!" when it really served no purpose on a Contract job).

So fellow players, what do you do when one of your developers offers to boost the Graphics or Creativity of a Contract? It would seem a complete waste of Research Points and Cash but I'm afraid if I refuse them I might be sending them the wrong message and make it less likely they'll chime in like this in a game project where it WOULD be really useful.

17. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I go for fun first, and also instead of the offers I use the salesman items. They give more points that the offers do till you have around 75 skill points in that talent for your team member. Most of my team members are level 5 in at least one profession and a couple on their second. But those profession switch cards early... they go up in price quick. But I have them trained so they are all 60+ in 1 of the 4 skill areas. So if I am ever out of money I can do in house work.

The problem is that if you use the same team member for multiple jobs they get unmotivated and don't produce the same amount. The same goes for out sourced work too. So I have a few members that are multi focused so I can use them for odd end jobs.

18. weaver523

weaver523 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I turn down all offers to boost contracts and accept all offers to boost a game in production. I haven't noticed anyone afraid to come to me and ask.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Good to know, just one of those cases where I was probably looking deeper than need be, "This seems such a stupid offer there must be a point to this I'm missing."

20. weaver523

weaver523 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I think they do it in case you can't meet the deadline you can boost a stat to help.