Game design advice

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by beardysoftware, Jun 19, 2015.

1. beardysoftware

beardysoftware Active Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on a word puzzle type game, and am looking for some advice.

The game is a random puzzle/high score type deal. I quickly realized that comparing high scores to other people, where everyone is getting random puzzles isn't exactly fair. So I came up with a notion of a "daily" puzzle. Where everyone in the world is served up the exact same puzzle, and people can compare their score with everyone else.

Now, the daily puzzles CAN be played multiple times a day, and once you've seen the daily puzzle, it gives you an advantage to play it again. So currently, I have it set up so that only the first time you play the daily puzzle each day, is the score uploaded to the gamecenter leaderboard.

The other option is to upload EVERY score you have from playing the daily puzzle. This brings in a new angle to the puzzle, turning it into something like "everytime you play the same puzzle, you find more and more words, until the point where you've found the optimal order of words and the max score"

I'm not sure which method is best. If I allow people to play the puzzle multiple times, than those people who DON'T like that kind of gameplay will never show up on the leaderboards. But if I discourage multiple plays of the daily game by not recording subsequent scores, then that would mean less for people to do.

Not sure if that made enough sense ... but if it did, what do you guys think is the right answer? :confused:

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Why was the decision made to even allow multiple plays in a single day. I agree with your decision making until that point tho.

I would, from the sounds of things, let you play only once. This would encourage the player to 'warm up' with some regular games and THEN play the daily challenge.

3. beardysoftware

beardysoftware Active Member

Jun 18, 2015
    #3 beardysoftware, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Well I have gotten some feedback from beta players saying they like being able to play the same puzzle over and over to try to figure out their highest possible score.

I guess I could figure out a way to have them be able to replay the random puzzles as many times as they want ... but then again, since it'd be a random puzzle, there wouldn't be anything to compare their score to.