Game Controller Supported Game List/Wishlist + Controllers

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Xeyad, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Amiga Games are coming to iOS with an official "emulator" app, with iOS 7 game controller support! :D

Will most definitely update the list when the official app comes out.

2. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    #62 Xeyad, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    http://toucharcade.com/2013/10/11/ios-7-controller-support-now-baked-into-the-latest-version-of-unity/

So Unity 4.2.2 now has support of iOS 7 controllers. Unity will auto detect if your device has iOS 7, and shows you controller options if you have iOS 7. So expect a lot of Unity games that have support for controllers. Hopefully Dead Trigger 2 will have immediate support of controllers then! :D

In the Developer Support section on the 1st page, I've updated it with a Unity tutorial link to support your game with iOS 7 controllers using Unity 4.2.2. ;)

3. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    So when asked about MFi controller support for Dead Trigger 2, MadFinger Games has responded that "everything is supported"

Looks like we've got our first FPS that supports iOS 7 controllers! ;)

Will update the list when it becomes official.

4. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Ravensword will get an update too... Now it's time for the actual hardware.

5. DarkScience

DarkScience Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    So excited to see if tomorrow brings much needed news on this! The gamecase web site has changed recently not showing abything other than a space ship, have they been updating web pages for romorrows event? So need more news now, this is the best development to ios gaming, ever I believe!

Hope we are not all disappointed tomorrow!!! I'll be checking here for news!!

6. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Oh ya. Just checked there website, where they had all sorts of info and press pictures of the iPad Mini controller, and now it's all gone, replaced with a space ship picture! Good find! ;)

I'll make sure to update this thread immediately if tomorrow's news included anything game controller related.

7. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Yep odd right!! Great I will stay tuned in, fingers crossed!!

8. ThorsRus

ThorsRus Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    How do you know this? If true, i'm all over that!

9. ThorsRus

ThorsRus Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    i don't think it will get any time on today's event.(which is live by the way!) BUUUUT, i do think that the embargo on the new controllers will be lifted, and we can expect more news in the coming weeks. So excited! :)

10. Hmmm... so nothing was said about joysticks too bad.

11. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    I know sucks ass!!! Will we even know before Xmas?????

12. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm pretty sure we'll have some MFi game controllers before Christmas ;)

13. ThorsRus

ThorsRus Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm pretty sure this is the case. There is quite a few controllers just waiting to be let out into the wild. I don't think we'll have to wait longer then say a month. I agree with the guy above, it sucks ass indeed.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I was looking forward to Apple showing off controllers yesterday but nothing. (Was even hoping there would be a 128 gig ipod touch but nope)

Surely it'll be before Xmas, should be good when it does happen though

15. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Are Apple really being so naive that they dont see the potential for IOS as a serious gaming platform??? Surely not, especially with the in built controller support and the new a7 chip and new Apple TV. The bones are there but where is the juicy stuff!!

I guess it's just not as important to them as the phones and the iPads! There has been nothing published online since late sept about the game case - they are also being annoyingly quiet!

It looks SOO good, just getting board of waiting now!! Glad I'm not the only one!!

16. xinn3r

xinn3r Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    #76 xinn3r, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    TBH, I don't think the market (right now) is quite large.
    Major tech sites like Gizmodo, in their "What we didn't get" post, didn't even mention that controllers were missing from the iPad event announcement.

That could change though, if Apple would just focus and market more on iOS as a gaming platform.

We are just a minority hoping for a unified controller that can be used with all games.
    I agree that Apple should be aware of their potential, just don't know what's holding them back.

17. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    After thinking about it, I think it's not surprising at all that there wasn't a game controller announcement. If Apple is making a game controller, they're not going to be up on stage saying that it only works with a few games. The supported games for now are only handful. I think it'll take a lot more time to develop and for developers to add support until we see full support from Apple.

Agreed. The market looking for a game controller for their iPhone or iPad is quite a niche market. Even the development for iOS game controller-supported games is still in its early beginnings. Apple has clearly left the keyboard market for 3rd party manufacturers, and it seems the same with game controllers.

All I hope for now is to see actual hardware now, because that will accelerate development even more.

Anyways, Dead Trigger 2 is out now, with support for iOS 7 game controllers, marking the first FPS with controller support on iOS! Added to the list. ;)

18. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Most devs I asked told me that there is no point to support controllers right now because there is no hardwar, so there is that.

19. Yeah, but what use is it, if none of us have a joystick?

Well, looking dimmer that Apple will make a joystick themselves, if it is just third party sticks, it may well end up being like icade and being a niche market. I sure was hoping for a bigger push by Apple.

20. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Well it's good that developers are getting a head-start, so when the controllers arrive, we can load up games immediately. ;)

Actually, this won't end up like the iCade at all. The market for iCade was actually tiny when it first started, and it was only advertised to support 1 game and that was Atari Classics. Then ION opened the API for support, and more indie developers supported it, and got some traction but still niche. However, with limited controls on iCade (1 analog stick) made it mostly for classic arcade-style games, which is also a niche market on the App Store. And let's not get started on the whole different layout issues on the 8-Bitty and others. :p

Now, with iOS 7, Apple has given developers a universal layout to work with, making it even easier to support. I heard from developers that it takes roughly 2 hours to add controller support to your game. MFi (Made For iOS) means that these controllers will be sold in the Apple Stores, and major retailers too, which a big plus for main developers like Gameloft and EA to support it too. Gameloft's Facebook page actually talked about MFi controllers a few times, which is a hint that they'll support it.

If you look on Android, most major games actually have controller support; I suspect that will shift to iOS too.

All we need now is actual hardware.