Game Controller Supported Game List/Wishlist + Controllers

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Xeyad, Sep 18, 2013.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    That would be ideal but sadly cant see it happening. But if they made just the L R shoulder buttons act as the flippers that would be better than nothing.

2. And one of the analog sticks as the plunger. And the other analog stick as tilt (shake).

3. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    No gamecase for ipod touch? :(

4. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I have been yearning for a controller for years and am really excited about this. I recently bought a Shield for this very reason, but support has been hit or miss with compatibility.

I think with this unified API for controllers that Apple has (finally) implemented, we will finally see a bigger leap in game play quality and hopefully some bigger and better titles coming our way.

Also, thank you so much for creating this thread!

5. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Maybe there should be an extra value in the list for each game and device. Speaking for Phoenix HD I can say we always designed the game to be played in Portrait mode so we think a Landscape orientation is not really desirable. I can imagine some Landscape games don't really work in Portrait mode either. The ClamCase seems to be a Landscape only device, while some of the older iCades (or example) support either orientation.

Just thinking out loud here based on what I see in this thread, maybe add an (L), (P) or (L+P)?

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Now that Apple has a standard for physical controllers and hardware is being announced, my hope is that many games which perhaps do not translate well to touch controls will finally get ported. Number one on my wish list would be Spelunky.

Also, with the increasing graphics horsepower, as introduced in the iPhone 5s, perhaps we will see more console-like games. How does the 5s compare to current and next-gen consoles?

7. Yeah, but portrait games play lousy on hdmi due to extreme borders.

I kinda like the few games out there that support both landscape and portrait mode like Blasttrax, so one can decide which mode to play, whether for joystick or hdmi.

8. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    It's a good idea, but this will take a lot more effort, for very little value. This way, you need to try every game out, to see if it works in L+P or just P or just L. Anyways, there aren't that many iOS 7 Controller Supported games yet. Maybe later on we can have a list of 'best controller supported games for iOS in landscape and portrait' based on posters' reviews. ;)

9. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

The Walking Dead has been updated with controller support.

10. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Just was gonna update the list, but you beat me to it. :p Thanks for helping out! ;)

Very excited that TellTale will support the controller. I expect Monkey Island, Jurassic Park, and Back To The Future to add it too. They're kind of the first big-name developer to support it. Bring on EA and Gameloft!

11. We need Cave shmups bad on Apple joystick. Wonder if they are considering it at all.

12. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Fighting games ahoy!

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    While the new support for controllers will hopefully encourage a wider range of games to be considered, I wouldn't count on seeing "touchscreen-unfriendly" games being brought across without the kind of redesign for iOS they've already had to undergo in the past.

Apple have very strong views about their mobile devices being self-contained touchscreen-based gadgets that don't require external hardware to operate, and future games will still need to fall in line with that. Not only will "controller required" games be rejected outright, "controller recommended" games that simply throw in a lazy barebones touchscreen control system in order to meet the guidelines are likely to meet the same fate (not to mention that any game that slips through but basically needs an external controller to work properly is going to net an insane amount of negative/one-star feedback).

From Apple's developer library:

14. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Wonder How KD will do now.

15. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    It says iphone 5... Erd

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Limbo has been updated with controller support.

17. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I know I've said it before, but I'm saying it again - this is a truly exciting time for iOS gamers. I always felt that my iPod Touch or iPad would be perfect if it just had the physical control aspect available.

I own the iCade, 8-Bitty and even the Gameloft controller, but those all lacked in some way. Now with a unified API and really decent controller manufacturers (Logitech!) getting on board, I am excited by the prospect of the next few months and what it brings.

It's already like Christmas with some of these big title games showing support, so I can't wait to hear about more. I just wish there was more information, the excitement is hard when there isn't much out there but little nuggets.

18. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    #38 Xeyad, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    Trouserheart, which has just come out today, will be adding controller support in the near future.

Will be added to the list once it gets updated.

19. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    It's certainly peaked my interest, certain game generes have been crying out for unified controller support. As good as the Icade cabinet is, I'm looking forward to the gamecase and hoping it will be as comfortable as a Wii U control pad.

20. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Gameloft has posted on their Facebook page about GameCase. Sign of Gameloft games to support iOS 7 game controllers? ;)