Game clocks/timers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GaZ-OiD, Sep 26, 2012.

1. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I hate them, hate them with a passion!! There is nothing worse than trying to work out a puzzle and have a clock stare you in the face!! ALL GAMES should have the option to turn these damn things off. I like to work out puzzles at a nice relaxed pace, I like to work my way through levels exploring every corner without a timer counting me down. Life is busy enough without having a bit of enjoyment ruined by ANOTHER clock in my life!! So devs by all means give players an added challenge by given them a time limit BUT also please give us the option to turn then off or I will continue to turn off apps that force you to stare at the damn irritating things that drive me mad lol :)

2. AgnesDev

AgnesDev Active Member

Hmmm... that's interesting, but...

You should consider timers as an additional variable in game pacing.

I have a time in my game (yup, it's still WIP), but I use it to "motivate" players to finish/accomplish sections/areas earlier, to gain "extra points" for every seconds which left (after all viruses are eliminated).

Additionally if player plays good he/she can get "extra time" power-up and then there's a new possibility to kill more microbes (bacterias/viruses) or/and gain "super-extra points" at the end of the area.

Maybe for you an expression "time is money" has a new meaning - you won't buy a game with clocks/timers, and you safe some money ;)

-=Agnes=-

3. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    #3 GaZ-OiD, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Hi Agnes

I realise there are games that get the old adrenaline going when you face a time limit, I also know many gamers like the added enjoyment of beating the clock and then their best times. I certainly would not want to take that element out of any game and spoil anyone's fun....... But there are games that use a clock/timer almost simply to give a challenge. Arcade games/racing games for example would not be the same without clocks and timers but I love puzzle games, by the way I have been a gamer for the best part of thirty years! Puzzle games should stand up on the quality of the puzzle and should be a good workout for the brain, by all means add a clock for those who want the clock but if a game does not really benefit from it, a few extra points for doing a puzzle quicker does not bother me it's simply working out a puzzle that gives the enjoyment. In cases like that a clock could and should always be optional for those who want a nice casual experience........ Now while I having a fun rant! I hate music/sound on off buttons only!!! Why can't I choose the sound level ??? It's all or nothing :( All I'm saying to all devs is please give us the choice to play games with as many options as possible even let us choose how low we want your music as background music. The strange thing is these options are so so simple to incorporate

Maybe for you an expression "time is money" has a new meaning - you won't buy a game with clocks/timers, and you safe some money......... You might be right lol :)

4. AgnesDev

AgnesDev Active Member

Sweet! We are on the same page :)

I agree in 100% :D

You're right! So I've already added separated sliderbars for music and sound (from 0 to 100%) in NanoLooper :D

To be honest I was wondering if simple "on/off" switches could be enough for players, but as you wrote... fully usable sliderbars weren't hard to incorporate ;)

-=Agnes=-

5. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    A few simple tweaks like the ones I have mentioned can make a big improvement to the overall enjoyment of a game. There is no extra cost or development time in allowing us gamers to decide if we want a clock in the background putting us on edge when all you want to do is enjoy the experience. Same with music, I find it obtrusive and ALWAYS turn it off unless I control how loud/soft I want it in the background. Most games give us skill levels as a given, a bit more thought is needed in what other options will enhance the game as well :)