Game Center ..

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jadchar, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Jadchar

Jadchar Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Iphone Developper
    Hi guys,
    I was wondering how you guys are you going to manage with the gamecenter launch ,since it supports only iphone 4 ..

my question is, are you going to have openfeint/plus/.. for 2G/3G and add gamecenter support for iphone 4, or are you just going to ignore gamecenter for now ..

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
  3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I've been wondering this my self lately. Are we about to see a lot of old apps updated to support game center? Will they be ditching openfeint and gameloft live, +plus?...

4. Jadchar

Jadchar Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Iphone Developper
    @Zincous

Still, the majority is still having 3Gs or even 2Gs... even if we implement a solution where depending on the device we ll activate either Openfeint/plus.. or GameCenter, I guess it won't be possible to have on centralized leaderboard ..

I mean it is totally absurd to have a highscore for 3g- users and another one for 3gs+ users ... :confused:

5. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm hoping all the popular games that still sell will migrate to Gamecenter. I never really bothered adding many friends onto all these services but everyone I know w/ an iDevice will be using Gamecenter :)

6. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Is there any trustworthy data on how many people are still on a 3G or older device?

My guess is that a lot of people (and I mean gamers) who where still hanging on to their older iDevice have or will shortly migrate to an iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4G.

If that's so, I think that if you're making a mass-market casual game you should still support the widest range of devices, but if you're going for a more hardcore audience, it'll be better to just forget about older hardware.

(I still have a 3G by the way, just waiting patiently for the iPhone 4 to arrive in these remote lands :))

7. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Does anyone know if GC has or will have possibilities to store savegames so they don´t get lost when deleting the app?

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Seems like GC doesn't work offline. Bummer.

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Doesn't look like it does yet, but It does save your highscores...

10. manyax111

manyax111 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    They should add this !!

11. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I think the route we will take is Openfeint because that wraps the Game Centre in.

The reason is Openfeint has so many things that Game Centre does not have, like saving replay data to hi-scores and such.

I think for developers, the way to go for Game Centre is through Openfeint - that way you can still cater for the older devices.

The thing is if you own a 3G iphone and you upgrade to the newer model, then that device will not cease to be used - for instance if you have children you may pass it onto them.

12. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I wish Game Center had a fallback option so that pre-iOS4 users could at least set and view high scores. Just the stuff that isn't too intensive, but useful.

13. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    OpenFeint for now

I plan to wait and see how GameCenter matures.