Game Center Leaderboards

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Big Ideas, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Big Ideas

Big Ideas Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    MD of Instant Games. Designer of Instant Hero.
    London
    Quick question for other devs with Game Center experience:

We've been testing Game Center functionality within our new app (Say What You See: The Collection) and our Game Center leaderboards are now filled with stats and scores from our test accounts. Is there a way to wipe the leaderboards clean for the public release of the app, so the public can start filling it up from scratch?

Be really grateful for some help, as I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere?

Cheers,

Jon Hamblin

2. Nanyko

Nanyko Member

Nov 10, 2009
    iOS game developer, Pocket Oinko babysitter
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    The scores and achievements you posted during development are stored in the sandbox version of Game Center. Released apps use the Game Center production servers instead, which are separate from the sandbox ones, and don't contain any of your test data.

3. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Nanyko right.

4. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I don't understand why some people doesn't care to read the documentations... Apple makes it so easy to access any required information. They have a great documentation other platforms could learn a lesson from. And the answer to OP's question is on the main Game Center introduction page: Getting Started with Game Center

5. Big Ideas

Jun 2, 2010
    London
    Thing is, maybe I'm being blind, but I can't see the answer there - also read the documentation with no success - where does it talk about resetting leaderboards?

Pretty sure I'm using a sandbox account, but my scores still appeared in the leaderboards when the app was released. I'm clearly doing something wrong! :s

6. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    There are 2 versions of your leader boards. One for the public where only apps signed with the distribution certificate have access to.

And then there's the sandbox. These leaderboards can only be accessed by devices signed with a development profile (or distributed over ad-hoc distribution).

Your sandbox leader board won't get erased - there's no way to do it ATM. They will be cluttered up for ever - or til Apple decides to build a proper management backend for Game Center.

7. Big Ideas

Jun 2, 2010
    London
    Ah, so essentially what you're saying is, only I can see the sandbox scores, but they'll be invisible to general users?